Spectors Trade Rumors 8/29/04

Rock

29 AUGUST 2004.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/

NIEDERMAYER GONE AFTER THIS SEASON, SAYS AGENT.

NEW YORK POST: Mark (N)Єverson reports Scott Niedermayer's agent claims his client plans play out the upcoming season with the New Jersey Devils and then become an unrestricted free agent, rather than re-signing long-term with the club.

Spector's Note: My thanks to "Word". Niedermayer will be taking a big gamble doing this if the owners manage to establish "cost certainty" in the next CBA. Under that scenario he'll be lucky to find a team willing to pay him more than the $7 million he was awarded in arbitration.

OTHER OILERS POSSIBILITIES AT CENTRE.

TORONTO STAR/WAYMORESPORTS.COM: reports Edmonton Oilers GM Kevin Lowe could consider bringing in another free agent centre to replace the departed Petr Nedved. Jason Allison was listed as one possibility, with Alexei Zhamnov and Eric Lindros as others.

Spector's Note: Right now Zhamnov would be their best bet, as he's not struggling to recuperate from potentially career-ending injuries. However, whether Zhamnov would want to play for the Oilers is another matter.

**CORRECTION**

A recent report in the Toronto Sun regarding the Leafs search for a goalie listed Sean Burke as a UFA possibility. Burke however picked up his player option for next season with the Philadelphia Flyers. My thanks to "Brent" for sending this in.

Guest Devsrule

NEW YORK POST: Mark (N)Єverson reports Scott Niedermayer's agent claims his client plans play out the upcoming season with the New Jersey Devils and then become an unrestricted free agent, rather than re-signing long-term with the club.

Spector's Note: My thanks to "Word". Niedermayer will be taking a big gamble doing this if the owners manage to establish "cost certainty" in the next CBA. Under that scenario he'll be lucky to find a team willing to pay him more than the $7 million he was awarded in arbitration.

If this is true is it possible lou might deal him at the deadline? Obviously the return would have to be huge but lets face it, we cant just lose Nieds and get just picks back.

id be happy with a few first rounders, especially since everyone is saying the next draft is going to be very deep

i've only heard of like 3 amazing prospects in brule, crosby, and staal's little bro. who else is there?

id be happy with a few first rounders, especially since everyone is saying the next draft is going to be very deep

i've only heard of like 3 amazing prospects in brule, crosby, and staal's little bro. who else is there?

Let Jas0n answer that one, or check out the boards on HF. Word around is the draft of 2005 is deeper than that of 2003.

And Devsrule, as far as dealing Niedermayer for a huge return... no team would be willing to give up as much as the Devils would like for Nieds if it's common knowledge (and accurate) that he would only be a rental -- unless an Adam-Oates-to-Philadelphia-type-move can be brokered.

Let Jas0n answer that one, or check out the boards on HF. Word around is the draft of 2005 is deeper than that of 2003.

And Devsrule, as far as dealing Niedermayer for a huge return... no team would be willing to give up as much as the Devils would like for Nieds if it's common knowledge (and accurate) that he would only be a rental -- unless an Adam-Oates-to-Philadelphia-type-move can be brokered.

wow....thats pretty damn good. the 2003 draft was amazing. i'm a big fan of the 2002 draft.

guys i m tellin u, if stevens dosnt make it this season, it niedermayer-hatcher.

wings are willin to give hatcher away, and they want a scoring-assissting type

nieds is willing to leave nj, and devs need a replacement for stevens. hatcher is the closest replacement, cause in terms of hits and beings feared (and hated) by others, hatcher is right up there with stevens

THIS IS ONLY IF AND ONLY IF STEVENS DOSNT RETURN

If this is true is it possible lou might deal him at the deadline? Obviously the return would have to be huge but lets face it, we cant just lose Nieds and get just picks back.

It would be a masterstroke if Lou could trade him for Jovonovski and Sopel, I'd be thrilled to bits with that :D

dude, every freakin day on wings weakly its a bunch of "yet, another trade deaklin with hatcher was proposed" and before nieds got digned, it was a bunch of "yet, another offer was made to niedermayer"

in fact, when ken holland was asked what he would do with hull's money, he replied that he would get a defencemen. Then the reporter asks, do u have anyone in mind. he replies, I rellly want scott niedermayer.

I don't think Stevens is coming back. But I also think Hatcher makes too much for us to take on. I would love Hatcher on NJ, but only if Detroit pays half his salary, otherwise. I would pass.

dude, i love that pessimism. at least u are ready for the worst.

i wouldnt mind hatcher at all.

seriously, he has the experience of being a captain, and he is really feared. he would make a perfect replacement for stevens.

on the otther hand, i will miss niedermayer

dude, every freakin day on wings weakly its a bunch of "yet, another trade deaklin with hatcher was proposed" and before nieds got digned, it was a bunch of "yet, another offer was made to niedermayer"

in fact, when ken holland was asked what he would do with hull's money, he replied that he would get a defencemen. Then the reporter asks, do u have anyone in mind. he replies, I rellly want scott niedermayer.

It strikes me as odd that Holland would say he wants Scott Niedermayer on the record.

Speaking about another team's players in that way can be considered tampering. If those are the words he actually used, Lou could slap him with a tampering suit at any time.

I think I am just a bit more realistic about Stevens. Not many players come back from this kind of injury and when they do they are a shell of what they used to be.

I would rather remember the Captain as the best overall defensemen ever to wear skates in the NHL (in my opinion).

I used to love "Neids" before he started become more like "Greeds".

If he doesn't want to be here...fine move on. When he starts getting offers for $3million a season after the salary cap moves in, he can pine for our $7 million offer Lou gave him.

Speaking about another team's players in that way can be considered tampering. If those are the words he actually used, Lou could slap him with a tampering suit at any time.

You can't even casually say you want a player? I thought you had to actually contact the player for it to be called tampering.

Speaking about another team's players in that way can be considered tampering.  If those are the words he actually used, Lou could slap him with a tampering suit at any time.

You can't even casually say you want a player? I thought you had to actually contact the player for it to be called tampering.

Generally, GMs try and avoid saying they want a specific player because it is considered tampering. Basically, saying you really want him publically IS contacting him. He finds out about it. That's why they don't do it. That's why when they are asked about a specific player who is the property of another club (either under contract or they hold his rights as an RFA) you'll hear a GM say something like this, "While we think so-and-so is a wonderful player and a fantastic person who would be an asset to any organization, including ours, we are not at liberty to discuss another organization's player".

Of course, he could have said it openly after July 1st and before Nieds filed for arbitration. In that period, I think he's free to say whatever he wants about Nieds because he could have contacted Nieds through the agent and put up an offer sheet if he had wanted to. He had every right to talk to Nieds in that period and it wouldn't have been tampering. So I guess he could have said something more specific in that short period of time. Before July 1st and after Nieds filed for arbitration he would have been back under the old rules, I think.

Personally, I think Niedermayer's an idiot for taking this gamble. With the uncertainty of the CBA and possibly no season, being unrestricted next summer isn't smart. He might not ever get a better deal than the one the Devils are offering.