Sharks Shake Up Coaching Staff

Weekes Head

According to to the Official San Jose Sharks website:

Sharks Change Coaching Staff

San Jose Sharks Executive Vice President and General Manager Dean Lombardi announced today that Head Coach Darryl Sutter and Assistant Coaches Rich Preston and Lorne Molleken were being relieved of their coaching duties. The defending Pacific Division champion Sharks, off to a disappointing 8-12-2-2 start to the 2002-03 season, currently sit in 13th place in the Western Conference standings. Current Director of Pro Development Doug Wilson and Professional Scout Cap Reader will assume coaching duties until a new head coach is named.

Sutter, named the fifth head coach in franchise history on June 9, 1997, leaves the Sharks as the team's all

I've seen Sharks fans railing against Sutter for 3 years now.. perception around those parts is that Sutter's the reason why Marleau, Stuart, and Hannan haven't developed the way some had envisioned them developing..

I think the buzz around San Jose was that Sutter was not the man to lead them to the Cup.. then again, no one can lead that club to a Cup because they're full of holes.

I really don't know about anyone hating Sutter. I think this is a total Lombardi freak-out. He screwed around with team chemistry by letting the starting goalie sit out, and then they basically imploded. No one was talking about him as a bad coach last season when they were making a deep playoff run. He's just a Robinson style scape goat.

I don't see how anyone could be railing against Sutter for the "lack of development" of Stuart and others......They snagged up Thornton after Dallas mistakeningly let him walk over a few thousand dollars..and Wow oh wow, look how HE's developed in the California air! (Obviously, not Joe Thornton, but his cousin)

The cry baby players were blaming their lack of effort and intensity on everything and everyone but themselves...sounds like another team I'm remembering..hmm maybe like the Dallas team last year?? maybe?? hmmmm...

With the salaries MOST of these players are making now..they should be made aware of the fact that the GM's and coaches are going to REQUIRE maximum effort and output every single game all season long and slackers, so to speak, will not be acceptable..or the coaches will have to go!

Just my humble opinion..