So.... what "well known" people have we met!

langsgirl

Im still sick... 5 days on house arrest is driving me mad - ok i went to work, but that doesnt count.....

so i figured i would hear peoples stories about people they met, celebrities, athletes, political figures... anyone well know that ya wanna share.. would be cool... tell me if they were nice, or dumb or whatever.. it will be nice reading for me...

i guess im gonna get lots of devils meeting stories on here... but oh well... hopefully we have some other peeps!!

For a very short amount of time, maybe no more than a month, I got to work with singer Brandy's 2 1/2 year old daughter. The little girl had a hard time adjusting and I don't think Brandy will be bringing her back. Brandy's fiancee playes for the Phoenix Suns, Queinton Richardson, I got to see him once or twice also.

I could give a few examples:

1.Woody Harrelson- my friends and I were at The China Club leaving when we saw him filing in. So a couple of us said, "Billy Ho" from White Men Can't Jump and he just smiled. LOL

2.When I interned for Comcast, we had several famous guests for a show called Sports Talk. That included Simeon Rice and Bobby Czyz as well as Bill Raftery and Bob Wischusen. I also had the pleasure to interview several famous MLS stars when the All-Star game came to the Meadowlands. Those included Alexi Lalas, Tony Meola, Preki and John Harkes. I also had a cool interview with a translator present. I got that tape still. It was just a fill in for Bruce Beck cause he didn't get to the practice site at Keane College in time. They used some clips. It was a really cool experience. I will admit to being nervous.

3.Obviously from working at FSNY for the Devils truck, I met some players and of course worked with Doc, Chico, Matt and Stan. They were all really nice. A bunch of clowns at the production meetings. But all business when things went to air. I really liked Doc and Matt. To be honest, they were all cool. I have a lot of admiration for them. I thought Randy McKay was a nice guy. Ditto Madden and Brodeur along with Pandolfo.

4.There was another time at Comcast where my last assignment had me on the field of Giants Stadium. That was awesome. After they won, I got to be in the locker room and asked Fassel, Corey Widmer and Charles Way questions.

5.Obviously from working in Bristol CT, I met Barry Melrose, John Saunders and John Buccigross. Everyone I met was really cool. I really liked Saunders. He is great.

6.I've met Sam Rosen and JD a bunch of times. Like JD more than Sam. Not that Sam wasn't nice. I just think JD has the better outgoing personality. Also talked to Tom Renney and Don Maloney at one of those hockey things. Was good.

I guess I have been quite fortunate. I really should go into broadcasting. The more I think about it, the more I think I could do it.

How old are ya derek?

i was always thought you were early 20's.. just those assumptions we make ont he boards.. no other reason...

but ya have a bunch of experiences so i was thinking maybe you are a tad older:)

thanks for sharing the stories.. all very cool!!

i loved alexi lalas!! and i too met tony meola... when he was doing a soccer camp in parsippany.. have some FUZZYY pics of him cause my camera was dumb

I'm 28 langsgirl. I can see why people would think I'm younger. If you saw me, you'd probably think the same thing, which isn't a bad thing.

Sports is a tough field to make it in. I can go a few different ways right now. Hopefully, I choose the right path that makes for more stability.

It's definitely a fun challenge. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Well like I mentioned in the other thread Dave Brown coached me for a season.

I also know a bunch of proffesional bowlers being my bowling self, but I'm sure most here don't know any of them. I should have turned pro instead of getting a real job, bleh.

My parents are friends with quite a few famous people so I am friends with them by association. People like Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits (when my grandfather died last year he came and sang at the funeral), John Zorn, Wellington Mara (owner of the Giants), Bon Jovi and Max Weinberg.

I also personally know CHristie Whitman (I want to college with her dauighter) and Joss Whedon.

Famous people I have met just in passing or whatever include Wayne Gretzky and Ray Bourque (at the WJC), Chris Rock, John Travolta and Dr. Ruth. None of the stories are really all that interesting although I almost broke my neck leaning over a railing to get Gretz to sign my ticket book at the WJC.

I met Jeffrey Tambor (the guy who plays the father on Arrested Development) once when I was in college. I went to William Paterson and there was an independent film being shot on our campus for about a week and he was there. I talked to him for a few minutes- seemed like a good guy. Said he liked our campus and thought the area was nice. I was really bummed though, becuase Courtney Cox was supposed to be shooting as well, but they shot her scenes somewhere else. Me and all my friends were pumped because they told us she was gonna be there- we were bummed out a little when we found out she wasn't coming. :P

all very interesting...

731-- bowlers aare cool... i bet id know a name or two ;)

derek... good luck with whatever you pursue

petey.. whats your parents connection? :) jk

as for me....

i met the Proclaimers... like anyone knows who they are...

but i was at this concert in some really good seats with a whole bunch of bands back in 1990 and after they performed i guess they wanted to watch the rest of the show and ended up standing in the aisle right next to our seats...

i met bon jovi the same night.. and was in such awww that i said hi and giggled... cmon now i was only 11

i met rosi o donnell... before everyone knew he tho...just when she was a normal comedien.. an unfunny one too... but i was 10 and on a nickelodeon show and she was the guest comedien and sat between me and myt friend and asked us questions and made jokes that we didnt get... i clearly remember her asking me who my favorite singer was.. and im ashamed to say.. i said Tiffany...ehhhhh... and she made a joke about her doing concerts at the orange julius stands in the mall..which i laughed at but didnt get at the time.

i met dave matthews and boyd tinsley.. not sure if thats his last name.. but i had to talk to them thru a fence.. boyd was soo coll and so was dave... cause he came out of the bus and boyd called him to come up the stairs and chat with me and my friend who were about toget taken away by security for sneaking back there in the first place..

tony meola as i mentioned earlier and the same day i met Andrew Shue th actor...Elizabeth Shues bro.. cause he was a soccer player and was at the same soccer camp. really nice guy

thats all i can think of right now

i did sit 2 rows away from donald trump at a bon jovi concert.. we kept wondering why the 6 rows were all empty right near us and then right when it got dark him and a woman came in.. must have been Pre Milania cause this was a blonde...maybe even his daughter...

and they sat there with the 20 seats for 2 people.. and then they snuck out during the encore

and OF COURSE Gomer, Pando and Jamie and everyone knows which one of those 3 i couldnt stand!! :)

and back in the day...chico resch, mike antonovich, pat verbeek and a bunch of others who i have photos of myself with but dont actually know who they were cause i was 5... wish i had a scanner so people could help me figure them out!

Edited by langsgirl

I forgot the imfamous person I know. You guys probably don't even remember this but last year this girl at NYU got busted for being a major drug dealer. The papers called her "The Pot Princess of NYU". My family has shared a cabana at the beach club with her family forever and I used to babysit her back in the day.

Here is my list:

Met former Buffalo Bills coach Marv Levy: Me and my father are driving around Orchard Park, NY and as we past what was then Rich Stadium, there is Marv, walking along...we turned around and I yelled "Marv!!" and he greeted us, talked for a couple of minutes, he did not want to stop and take a picture, and it did not bother me because if he stopped for us, others would probably stop as well LOL

Name just about anyone on the 1996 Devils, including front office and broadcasters, and I met them (except for Esa Tikkaken, who was with the Devils for about 5 minutes!).

Im not sure if this qualifies as "meeting" but...

Me and a friend of mine were walking in NYC on 42nd street on a Wednesday afternoon, and all of the sudden coming towards us is Kirby Puckett...so I yelled "Kirby!", and he ducked into a store to hide :lol:

Also that same way, went to the All $tar Cafe, and as we are eating lunch, an entourage walks in, and here comes $haq, he walked by our table and I said Hello and he said hello back, damn he is a beast!!!

Met Brian Burke and Pierre Page at a Hockey Job Fair in Boston in the Summer of 1996, both guys were very interesting.

Does meeting Larry Brook$ qualify as a bru$h with greatness?

Edited by LOTCB

Met Robert Downey Jr at John's Pizza in the Village. He was guesting on SNL he was on probation and had officers with him. We spoke a little about the movie Chaplan. Also met Neil Young in Hawaii on my honeymoon. Well really my husband did, shook his hand. I didn't know who the guy was. Afterwards my husband told me and then kicked himself repeatedly in the butt because he had the concert ticket from NYC where he had just seen Neil the week before in his wallet and didn't think to have him autograph it.

oooooh Robert Downy Jr is one of those people i am attracted to but dont know why... and even though they have been seen looking their worst and in all sorts of trouble i still have an attraction.... mmmmm

im jealous

I met Rudy Giuliani at Rutgers around 1985.

I met Jim Florio at a backyard picnic around 1988, one of my family members was friends with someone in Newark dem.party.

This one really isn't a meeting, but is funny.

I was about 9 and me & some other kids used to have elevator races (I guess it was a lot safer back around 1973).

I was in an elevator with 2 other kids, both younger & the door was about to close & Marty Allen (the comedian with big curly hair) was running to the elevator yelling hold that door. I was at the controls. I saw him coming & kept pressing the 'door close' button; he was frightening-looking to me. Later that day, we saw on the news that he was in town & heard from people in the hotel (we were in Pittsburgh) that he was staying there & then I recognized him from TV.

I met Jeffrey Tambor (the guy who plays the father on Arrested Development) once when I was in college. I went to William Paterson and there was an independent film being shot on our campus for about a week and he was there. I talked to him for a few minutes- seemed like a good guy. Said he liked our campus and thought the area was nice. I was really bummed though, becuase Courtney Cox was supposed to be shooting as well, but they shot her scenes somewhere else. Me and all my friends were pumped because they told us she was gonna be there- we were bummed out a little when we found out she wasn't coming.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

redruM = William Patterson class of '94

I met John Maclean at the ESPN club in Florida. He was there with his family and he came up to my wife and I and commented he liked my hat. Devils of course. It was then that I realized who it was. It was bothering me for an hour during dinner. He took pics with us than invited us to sit up front during the ESPN Hockey Nite broadcast. His sons were great. They told me that Kirk Muller was there favorite player.

Other famous people I've met: Pele, Marty, Larry King, Dano, The Maven, Chico, Doc and many other athletes and Political type people.

Met a few Devils at signings, best was Rolston, at Freehoold Mall... not many people there soi Got to talk w/ him for a few minutes.

a few soccer players, most notably Tab Ramos, he happens to have a son the same age as my son so i see him at many youth soccer events.

Met BonJovi at a back stage party after one of there concerts

And when I was in College my wife ( then girlfriend) worked for a music vidoe production company, so i have met a bunch of musicians, my favorite story..

My wifes boss was also Sting's Manager, so we always got tix to all his concerts. Sting was all very big into Green Peace. so he would do all the charity shows. When he did the charity shows we would always get sll access passes,

the last one we went to was with Don henley & Billy Joel.

Billy was still married to Christy at the time. We got to sit in the performers box... Christy sat right infront of me..sat and talked between sets, she was pretty cool.

have to say, Henley had he best set...

Oh how could I forget! I also met Paul Michael Glaser! :wub: He told me to calm down because I could hardly breathe! I got his autograph. He was with my favorite blond (well he used to be blond) David Soul :wub: at the Today Show plugging that awful spoof movie. :puke: We wanted DS to come over to us (I was with 2 friends) but he was talking to someone. And we didn't have the nerve to call him over. (Luckily a crew member sent PMG over to us) I finally got an arms length away from DS when they were heading for the limo but I couldn't speak. He kinda looked at me weird as if to say "Can I help you?" but I was frozen. :doh1: He then got into the limo and he and Paul were gone. <heavy sigh> The Torino was there too.

Okay, yes they are 60+ now but in their day well they made my pubescent heart go all a flutter. :D Eh they still do. Some crushes never die. :P