Schwab retires, gets job with 'Ning

SueNJ97

This was in an article about Elias' contract negotiations in the Record. But I thought Corey deserved his own thread and I didn't see this anywhere.

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcn...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Former Devils backup goalie Corey Schwab, who was limited to only three games in 2003-04 because of a groin injury that required surgery, has retired from playing and was named associate goaltending coach and scout by the Tampa Bay Lightning on Wednesday.

Does Ari, or Clemmy get the spot ?

Considering Ari has reportedly left the country, I'd say this pretty much solidifies Clemmensen in the backup spot unless Lou has something up his sleeve.

You know, I've been thinking about this, and I'm wondering if Clemmy is really the lock that everyone seems to think he is. I mean, unless that kid Lou signed to the tryout contract is ready for the AHL, there's no one in goal for the Rats. Lou might decide that Scott is better off getting the bulk of the playing time in Albany (as opposed to splitting the duties with Ahonen), meaning Lou would sign a Schwab-type of player as Marty's backup and either let the kid be Scott's backup or bring back Matus Kostur. And even if Slade is ready to handle regular AHL duties, Albany still needs a second goalie, and from what we've heard, none of the goalies currently in the system will be going pro this year.

Argh! I can't wait for training camp to start! :argh:

well Cujo IS out there still.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cujo would be MUCH too expensive for a goalie that is most likely only going to get about 10 starts all year. What kind of journeymen-types or washed-up old guys are available that we could pick up for cheap?

I thought I saw in another thread that Ron Tugnutt was available. I haven't seen him play in years and I don't know what his ego is like, but he might fit that washed-up old guy bill.

The key is to try not to spend much more that the league minimum.

CuJo IS running out of options and he may be willing to do what Beezer-Geezer did in backing up Marty in 2001 to get one last shot at the Cup... and all of a sudden the market for aging goalies IS drying up... just a thought...

doesn't lou usually preffer having a veteran backup? Schwab's injury is pretty much the only reason we had clemmy last season

He does, which is why I doubt that Clemmensen will be the backup.

Something tells me Cujo's ego wouldn't allow him to be Marty's backup. Tugnutt's not a bad idea. Have Shields, Dunham, or Dafoe reached a point in their careers that they'd be willing to take the job?

Something tells me Cujo's ego wouldn't allow him to be Marty's backup.  Tugnutt's not a bad idea.  Have Shields, Dunham, or Dafoe reached a point in their careers that they'd be willing to take the job?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We could always bring Dunham back and let him finish his career where he started it. I not sure if he's old and abused enough to have abandoned all hope yet, though.

Something tells me Cujo's ego wouldn't allow him to be Marty's backup.  Tugnutt's not a bad idea.  Have Shields, Dunham, or Dafoe reached a point in their careers that they'd be willing to take the job?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We could always bring Dunham back and let him finish his career where he started it. I not sure if he's old and abused enough to have abandoned all hope yet, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh good god no!!! If we're gonna pay that walking sieve ANY kinds of money... pay me and get me some goalie pads... sh!t my 5-hole is just as pathetic and I could use the money more :P

oh good god no!!! If we're gonna pay that walking sieve ANY kinds of money... pay me and get me some goalie pads... sh!t my 5-hole is just as pathetic and I could use the money more :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You won't take development time from our prospects and you'll work for the league minimum, that meets all the criteria for Marty's backup. I'd sign you! :P

No Dunham. Playing for the Rangers a) exposed him and b) demoralized him. Plus, he's incredibly injury-prone, and we just had a back-up goalie retire because he kept getting hurt.

About Cujo, I don't want him because I don't think he'd accept or adjust to the playing time or salary of a back-up. I don't even know that he'd do the job particularly well, given what his playing style is. I think he may need to play more often to be effective. However, I have to say that I'm not anti-Cujo anymore, the way I used to be. I want him to land somewhere where he's happy (just where it doesn't hurt the Devils or help a team we don't like). After the Hasek situation in Detroit, where Cujo handled that whole debacle with class, I can't dislike him anymore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You won't take development time from our prospects and you'll work for the league minimum, that meets all the criteria for Marty's backup. I'd sign you! :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crasher, you are now cally NJ's back-up goalie, AKA, Marty's caddie. :evil:

Now, all you need to do is convince Lou. :rofl:

Use Clemmy; after all, after a year rest I expect marty to start every game this year~

Right. Crasher, we're demoting you to Albany. :D

Oh I can see the press conferences now when I call the team offensively sterile garbage like you clowns goaded me on to last year during all those debacles!!!!! :P

Man I'd make JR sound like a DEAF MUTE!!! :huh::blink::lol:

After the Hasek situation in Detroit, where Cujo handled that whole debacle with class, I can't dislike him anymore.

Great point. CuJo really put up with a lot, playing second-fiddle to Hasek and even accepting a stint in the minors.

Rumors at the time said Hasek wouldn't give CuJo the time of day in the locker room. As if CuJo was the reason the Red Wings had three starting goaltenders on the roster at the same time...

I'm *fairly* sure that situation came about because of the Red Wings, not CuJo.

I doubt CuJo ends up in NJ. I, personally, would love to see Steve Shields as Marty's backup.

Oh I can see the press conferences now when I call the team offensively sterile garbage like you clowns goaded me on to last year during all those debacles!!!!! :P

Man I'd make JR sound like a DEAF MUTE!!!  :huh:  :blink:  :lol:

Some press conferences! You'd get the beat writers from the three papers and maybe a TV station or two if you're lucky! :lol:

I knew it was a mistake signing Crasher. Seemed too Holik-like to me. Looks like I was right. :P

Edited by Rowdyfan42

Man I'd make JR sound like a DEAF MUTE!!!  :huh:  :blink:  :lol:

Some press conferences! You'd get the beat writers from the three papers and maybe a TV station or two if you're lucky! :lol:

I knew it was a mistake signing Crasher. Seemed too Holik-like to me. Looks like I was right. :P

By the end of the season when the team was 0-60 and not scored a goal in front of me yet and they are offering free tickets and travel expenses to all my ex's to have them throw toasters at me... by then you bet your sweet ass I'd have an audience :D

See that would be my resume line... "all the Holik you need... 1/1000th the price and none of the una-brow OF DOOM!"

And hey this airport gig SHOULD end right around October.... VOTE FOR ME... it means I'd post less !!!!! :clap:

Does Ari, or Clemmy get the spot ?

Considering Ari has reportedly left the country, I'd say this pretty much solidifies Clemmensen in the backup spot unless Lou has something up his sleeve.

You know, I've been thinking about this, and I'm wondering if Clemmy is really the lock that everyone seems to think he is. I mean, unless that kid Lou signed to the tryout contract is ready for the AHL, there's no one in goal for the Rats. Lou might decide that Scott is better off getting the bulk of the playing time in Albany (as opposed to splitting the duties with Ahonen), meaning Lou would sign a Schwab-type of player as Marty's backup and either let the kid be Scott's backup or bring back Matus Kostur. And even if Slade is ready to handle regular AHL duties, Albany still needs a second goalie, and from what we've heard, none of the goalies currently in the system will be going pro this year.

Argh! I can't wait for training camp to start! :argh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are the details of Ari's overseas contract - he signed it pre-lockout, did he leave himself an out in case the NHL came back? He didn't really show much the last couple years in Albany (granted he only platooned) anyway so I wouldn't neccesarily want him to back up Marty - even if that only entails playing 8 games a year :P - and I doubt he'd come back to be a part-time goalie in Albany.

What are the details of Ari's overseas contract - he signed it pre-lockout, did he leave himself an out in case the NHL came back?

I don't think that really matters right now since the NHL-IIHF transfer agreement is still up in the air.

He didn't really show much the last couple years in Albany (granted he only platooned) anyway so I wouldn't necessarily want him to back up Marty - even if that only entails playing 8 games a year :P - and I doubt he'd come back to be a part-time goalie in Albany.

Well, I wasn't suggesting him as Marty's backup. I was thinking that if Clemmensen (had to stop myself; almost said Scott, but then I remembered that we "signed" CRASHER :lol:) became the backup, Ari would then get most of the playing time in Albany. And you're right, he wouldn't come back to a platoon situation since that's probably why he left in the first place.