Moore surprised at reinstatement

Rock

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Color...1168569-ap.html

Forward still waiting to see if he will play in NHL again

DENVER (AP) - Former Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore said he was surprised when Todd Bertuzzi was reinstated to the NHL after delivering a blindside punch 17 months ago that broke his neck and left his hockey future in doubt.

"It's difficult to see that he's able to play again when I still have a long way to go, and not just in hockey, but with my health," Moore said in an interview published in Thursday's Denver Post.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman ended Bertuzzi's suspension Monday, clearing him to play in the 2005-06 season. Bertuzzi was suspended for the final 13 games of the 2003-04 regular season and the Stanley Cup playoffs. His banishment continued throughout last season's NHL lockout.

Moore underwent extensive examinations this week at the Cleveland Clinic as doctors attempted to gauge his recovery from the fractured neck and concussion he suffered on March 8, 2004. Results aren't expected for several weeks.

"I'm better than I was two months ago, better than I was six months ago, and certainly better than I was 17 months ago," Moore told the newspaper from his home in Thornhill, Ont.

He is working out in the gym and on the ice but still experiences occasional wooziness and other effects.

"The concussion is more of the issue, for sure," he said. "The neck feels pretty good."

Moore's Toronto lawyer, Tim Danson, said Moore is motivated and determined to keep a positive attitude, even though his hockey career could be over.

"There's a real sadness, a realization that, 'Oh, my gosh, my dream is being smashed.' But then he brings himself out of that and gets positive again," Danson said.

Moore said he hasn't heard from Bertuzzi, privately or publicly. He has filed a civil lawsuit in Denver in which he has named Bertuzzi, former Canucks forward Brad May - who's now with the Avalanche - Canucks coach Marc Crawford, former GM Brian Burke and Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, owner of the Canucks.

Moore said he doubted he'd be stigmatized in the NHL because of the lawsuit. Danson said he believes Moore will drop the suit if he plays again.

"He doesn't want to be in the courtroom, he wants to be on the ice," Danson said.

The Avalanche have not committed to re-signing Moore if he is cleared to play, although the team has agreed to allow him to return to Denver and work with its medical staff.

"What we know is that Steve has not been cleared medically," Avalanche spokesman Jean Martineau said. "Hopefully, that will happen. But until then we can't speculate on what we would do."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Color...1168569-ap.html

Forward still waiting to see if he will play in NHL again   

DENVER (AP) - Former Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore said he was surprised when Todd Bertuzzi was reinstated to the NHL after delivering a blindside punch 17 months ago that broke his neck and left his hockey future in doubt.

"It's difficult to see that he's able to play again when I still have a long way to go, and not just in hockey, but with my health," Moore said in an interview published in Thursday's Denver Post.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman ended Bertuzzi's suspension Monday, clearing him to play in the 2005-06 season. Bertuzzi was suspended for the final 13 games of the 2003-04 regular season and the Stanley Cup playoffs. His banishment continued throughout last season's NHL lockout.

Moore underwent extensive examinations this week at the Cleveland Clinic as doctors attempted to gauge his recovery from the fractured neck and concussion he suffered on March 8, 2004. Results aren't expected for several weeks.

"I'm better than I was two months ago, better than I was six months ago, and certainly better than I was 17 months ago," Moore told the newspaper from his home in Thornhill, Ont.

He is working out in the gym and on the ice but still experiences occasional wooziness and other effects.

"The concussion is more of the issue, for sure," he said. "The neck feels pretty good."

Moore's Toronto lawyer, Tim Danson, said Moore is motivated and determined to keep a positive attitude, even though his hockey career could be over.

"There's a real sadness, a realization that, 'Oh, my gosh, my dream is being smashed.' But then he brings himself out of that and gets positive again," Danson said.

Moore said he hasn't heard from Bertuzzi, privately or publicly. He has filed a civil lawsuit in Denver in which he has named Bertuzzi, former Canucks forward Brad May - who's now with the Avalanche - Canucks coach Marc Crawford, former GM Brian Burke and Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, owner of the Canucks.

Moore said he doubted he'd be stigmatized in the NHL because of the lawsuit. Danson said he believes Moore will drop the suit if he plays again.

"He doesn't want to be in the courtroom, he wants to be on the ice," Danson said.

The Avalanche have not committed to re-signing Moore if he is cleared to play, although the team has agreed to allow him to return to Denver and work with its medical staff.

"What we know is that Steve has not been cleared medically," Avalanche spokesman Jean Martineau said. "Hopefully, that will happen. But until then we can't speculate on what we would do."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bertuzzi didnt even call him privately? Classy.

I have a feeling that the league would have kept Bertuzzi on ice for a little longer if it were not for the civil suit.

If moore was serious about getting back to the NHL he should not have filed the civil suit so quickly...

Lets face it Marshall's neck injury was much scarier than Moore's.

However, Bertuzzi is a punk, and deserves moore punishment.

I don't think you can call someone who has a civil suit out there against you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um, he had several weeks after the incident prior to filing of the suit to contact Moore.

You know, I can't stand people who use the word "um" to start a post, especially when they are clueless about the topic.

If you knew anything about the situation, the Canucks and Bertuzzi attempted to contact Moore multiple times immediately after the incident. Moore would not accept any sort of communication from them. I'm sure his lawyers advised against it.

The thing is, people need to stop complaining about Bertuzzi and sweep this incident under the rug just like the lockout and let the past be the past. While not even one of my favorite players, it was very enjoyable to watch Bertuzzi on the ice, specifically when guys like Chris Chellios had to put up with him for a seven game playoff series.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um, he had several weeks after the incident prior to filing of the suit to contact Moore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The thing is, people need to stop complaining about Bertuzzi and sweep this incident under the rug just like the lockout and let the past be the past. 

You're right -- let's just add this to the ever-growing list of blunders for the Bettman regime.

An open-ended suspension for nearly crippling a guy turned out to be 20 games -- one less than Dale Hunter's -- for an infraction that gave the League more bad publicity than the entirety of the lockout.

<JESTER>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bertuzzi tried to talk to him but Moore didn't want to have any part of that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I looked through archives, and the only supposed attempt at contact came several weeks after the incident, after it was publicized that Bertuzzi had yet to privately contact Moore, and thus got Bertuzzi some very bad public feedback.

True, Moore didnt want to talk to Bertuzzi, but honestly I cant blame him.

Also, Im very interested at whether Brad May will fight Bertuzzi now that hes an Av.

But, assuredly since hes in Colorado now he will reform the newest ranks of the

DiveAlanche.

You know, I can't stand people who use the word "um" to start a post, especially when they are clueless about the topic.

If you knew anything about the situation, the Canucks and Bertuzzi attempted to contact Moore multiple times immediately after the incident.  Moore would not accept any sort of communication from them.  I'm sure his lawyers advised against it.

The thing is, people need to stop complaining about Bertuzzi and sweep this incident under the rug just like the lockout and let the past be the past.  While not even one of my favorite players, it was very enjoyable to watch Bertuzzi on the ice, specifically when guys like Chris Chellios had to put up with him for a seven game playoff series. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know plenty about the situation, since I met Tony Granato several months back and talked about it with him.

I dont like people who despite having a difference of opinion and a different shade of info, classify someone as "not knowing anything about the situation".

You're right -- let's just add this to the ever-growing list of blunders for the Bettman regime.

An open-ended suspension for nearly crippling a guy turned out to be 20 games -- one less than Dale Hunter's -- for an infraction that gave the League more bad publicity than the entirety of the lockout.

<JESTER>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Publicity? There is a small percentage of the population that genuinely cares about hockey. The rest was just looking for some current event to exponentially blow up. This will happen every year. If you're not killing someone and playing football, you're going after fans at a basketball arena, or you're jucing in the clubhouse. An example never gets set. We should all deal with it and realize it is all about money in the end.

You know, everytime I put skates on, I realize the fact that I could seriously be injured as I'm sure happens with any contact sport. Frankly, I could care less about Moore's complaining right now. I would honestly like to see these two sit down, and talk and set an example for the younger generation playing hockey. Some people might not agree with that, but to me it's more powerful than a suspension or money.

I know plenty about the situation, since I met Tony Granato several months back and talked about it with him. 

I dont like people who despite having a difference of opinion and a different shade of info, classify someone as "not knowing anything about the situation".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did Granato tell you to go "search the archives" too. That is also the first time I've ever heard being completely wrong called "a different shade of info."

I'm not going to be a bully here, but you have to come correct with your facts if you are going to argue an event like that.

<JESTER>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Publicity? There is a small percentage of the population that genuinely cares about hockey. The rest was just looking for some current event to exponentially blow up. This will happen every year. If you're not killing someone and playing football, you're going after fans at a basketball arena, or you're jucing in the clubhouse. An example never gets set. We should all deal with it and realize it is all about money in the end.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So a sport that is constantly denegrated as being barbaric and unruly gets the spotlight from everyone from The Today Show to CNN for some guy nearly crippling another with a cheap shot, and you don't think it's a big deal?

The difference is that the Artest brawl and the Carrueth killing and the steroids are seen as problems that affect their respective sports' reputations; the Bertuzzi attack was seen as PART of hockey's reputation.

<JESTER>

Very good point Jester.

I have no answer. Neither solution seems acceptable any more than the other. How many times should the NHL take the least said soonest mended approach?

Also fighting is a part of hockey - I know lot of people wantt o take it out though - they dont approve - they think fighting in hockey isnt' honorable but alienating. I dont know :noclue:

Fact is I think the deal is as always is there a place in fighting for hockey heh heh heh - hockey for fighting -- my guess is those against this re-instatement think not and those who are OK with it think there is. Hence my not having any solution. what hockey needs is clean hits a la Stevens. But then you will enter Headhunting territory... There will always be an argument against physical force in hockey. I personally think I like it -- i know I like it and I can't tell you why. Finess is annoying to me - because if you get rid of physical force there's nothing to "finess" around :noclue: might as well have pilons...

OK I'm digressing but that is my point... people are trying to use this situation to their advantage. I think no one is right or wrong particularly.

so why am I bothering to write then even? :rolleyes:

Edited by Darwindog

So a sport that is constantly denegrated as being barbaric and unruly gets the spotlight from everyone from The Today Show to CNN for some guy nearly crippling another with a cheap shot, and you don't think it's a big deal?

The difference is that the Artest brawl and the Carrueth killing and the steroids are seen as problems that affect their respective sports' reputations; the Bertuzzi attack was seen as PART of hockey's reputation.

<JESTER>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never said it wasn't a big deal. If you can't understand why all those non-traditional outlets covered it, you don't see the big picture the way I see it. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure Steven's hit on Kariya in the SCF was celebrated in the media on highlight shows (and I'm sure some of us celebrated it too). Thing is, that was planned, and that *could have* crippled Kariya. McCarty beating down Lemieux. Things happen that are so close in context, yet by chance have drastically different outcomes.

When I can name multiple instances of violence against fans in the NBA, multiple players who faced murder charges in the NFL and multiple players who have injected themselves in baseball, it starts to become more than something that "affects" it.

I'm sure Steven's hit on Kariya in the SCF was celebrated in the media on highlight shows (and I'm sure some of us celebrated it too). 

There is a big difference between a legal bodycheck and what has happened here. When you play sports you take an assumed risks of that sport. Having harm done to you by something that you are not assuming(jumped from behind, basically any penalty because its forbidden) can land you in legal trouble while anything within the confines of the game will not.

When I can name multiple instances of violence against fans in the NBA, multiple players who faced murder charges in the NFL and multiple players who have injected themselves in baseball, it starts to become more than something that "affects" it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say that steroids have become a systemic problem in Major League Baseball, but hardly characterize the century-old history of the sport.

There have been more attacks on fans in baseball than there have been in basketball over the last decade.

And we're not trying to paint the NFL as a league full of murderers are we...at least not with Mike JefferDanton somewhere in a cell?

My point is that each of the examples you cited -- which you have every right to call trends if you wish -- aren't seen as trends by the majority of the sports media. They're seen as a few bad apples, black eyes, bad incidents. Not so with Bertuzzi; not after McSorely and Draper getting wrecked and every other example of over-the-line violence in the NHL.

It all comes down to what happens on the field of play and off. No one is claiming the NHL is filled with players looking to hire killers after Danton got pinched. No one claimed there was a history of fans getting killed at games after that poor little girl died at the Jackets game. But on the ice -- after decades of foul play and what the American media sees as legal endorsement of fighting -- the Bertuzzi attack was part of a larger picture, and the mainstream media was all too eager to paint hockey with that broad brush.

<JESTER>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I looked through archives, and the only supposed attempt at contact came several weeks after the incident, after it was publicized that Bertuzzi had yet to privately contact Moore, and thus got Bertuzzi some very bad public feedback.

True, Moore didnt want to talk to Bertuzzi, but honestly I cant blame him.

Also, Im very interested at whether Brad May will fight Bertuzzi now that hes an Av.

But, assuredly since hes in Colorado now he will reform the newest ranks of the

DiveAlanche.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, I wouldn't want to talk tohim that early neither but don't make Bertuzzi look like a beast for not trying to talk to Moore because he did.

The dilemma for the sport is the perception that it's always violent. It can get rough and sometimes, things boil over.

McSorley on Brashear.

Domi on Niedermayer.

Bertuzzi on Moore.

These ugly incidents have happened and probably will occur again because whether or not we agree, that's the nature of the beast.

Thing is every sport has them.

Where I have issue is when sports venues overcover these incidents in hockey and almost portray it as being what the game is about. They leave out the beauty of the game, that's produced highlight reel goals, clutch saves, great defensive plays, saucer passes, breakaways, dekes, one-timers, clean hits, dramatic playoff goals and the MOST PRESTIGIOUS TROPHY in all of sports. Eat your heart out ESPN!

OK I'm getting myself all irked out here... I just want to say -- the NHL doesnt seem to keen on clean hits.

The Kariya hit was held up as a digusting though legal element of hockey. We know that. Peope felt sick when they saw it and felt vidicated when Kariya came back and scored. It's a mighty thin line. You need the villan and real hockey players exploded with admiration of the hit but Joe Sportscaster shook his stupid head and acted all sanctimonious -as if he coudlnt' understand the allure of hockey- and then went home and fired up the old X-box and killed a few cyber-cops or something and didnt' bat a freaking eye lash.

the LEGAL stuff gets so much tongue clicking and you KNOW Stevens didnt' get the Norris in 2001 because it was too freaking controvertial for a guy who seemed to end the career of the next Great One to get REWARDED! so that kind of bullsh!t goes on and then when a real cheap shot comes along he gets nothing... and if he come sback and has a great season or somethign you bet your ASS he'll get a Hart because he's the poster boy for hockey's reformation... so dont bring up that diachotomy dRaf because you've got it ASS frreaking BACKWARDS!

:rant:

I'm so single minded... it's so annoying how everything relates back to the source of my fountain of hockey ardore :argh: But I think I have a point... maybe if we punished these freaking cheaters there'd be room to admire the truly tough guys who play by the rules. :argh::evil:

EDIT:

Oh and I dont mind Bertuzzi coming back at all...except when I put this spin on it... then I get grumpy... the even playing feild forgiving nearly criminal acts (in fact it WAS criminal since he pled guilty) so easily but then not rewarding the condoned violence in the sport because it's not PC enough or bad marketing or something...

Edited by Darwindog

I felt bad for Brashear when McSorley wacked him in the head, but I lost a lot of respect for Brashear when over the course of the next 3 or 4 years, he was a player who handed out his share of cheap shots and dirty hits showing he learned nothing from his own experience.