Is It Just Me?

Nedved 4 President

I haven't watched many Devils games this year, but have you guys felt that the officiating sucks this year? Watching Ranger games sometimes makes me want to rip my hair out (not because of the way they play either). They miss a lot of calls which are so blantent it makes me sick, and they call all the very questionable ones.

So, your thoughts.......

interesting point - one of the msg announcers talked about how he liked how the officials were letting things go. that's where i think the problem is. if it's in the rulebook as a penalty, call it!!! there should be no "letting go" because that's when things can go unfair. the only way to make it fair is to call every penalty every time it should be called.

many of these "iffy" calls are actually good calls made questionable because they didn't call the same thing a minute ago.

if they want to make the game more likable without all the cheap shots, call every penalty. at first penalties would be numerous and thus would create many power plays, which is exciting. eventually players would be forced to buckle down and play the game the way the rulebook mandates it to be played, making for a more fluid, faster-paced game.

then again maybe this is coming from a devils fan, the team that is the least penalized in the league. call barnaby for every penalty he causes and he'd probably be out of a job.

It is very inconsistent, one night they will call something and 10 minutes later let it go. I find 'makeup' calls the most infuriating because they are usually so borderline. Maddens no goal, Jagr's break away bad interference calls, the Refs are horrible and have decided to many games in the last few years.

Well, it's certainly not just you that believes that.

I agree that refs are too inconsistent in this league. I also believe that stricter enforcement of the rules would be better in the long run.

However, I also believe that the referees are truly unbias, and that they have a very difficult job that they probably do better than anyone else could do it. I don't think the refs need replacement, they just need better guidance from the top.

Another problem besides the obvious problems with the officials is that it only took two or three months for the NHL to stop calling "every little thing". Bettman is once again the middle-aged man who cried wolf after all the yapping he and everyone else did this offseason about being more stringent, that only lasted two months if that.

The interference calls will be back before the playoffs. Personally I find that NHL games are moving quicker in general, and there is not as much clutching and grabbing..

Officiating is poor, but just look at 3 of the other 4 sports.. basketball, they ignore some rules, football, games are decided on poor calls.. it's not much better there.

I don't think anything can be done about it. Do you guys really think there are lots of people who want to be an NHL ref? I'd love to be screamed at by 10,000 people every time I screwed up.. the NHL has the best refs in the world..

I had the priviledge of watching the Sharks host the Ducks on Boxing Day. The Sharks won 4-1, but the officiating was ATROCIOUS!! How Kelly Sutherland ever made it out of the low minors, I'll never know. Example: Marleau, in the far corner, skates hard to cut cut off the angle. To do this, he passes one inch away from Giguere's crease. Giguere, in a moment of divine inspirarion, flops to the ice -- arms and legs all aflutter -- even though he wasn't touched at all by PM. Sutherland, and I saw this on the replay, wasn't even looking at the crease!! But he sees Giguere flop with Marleau in close proximity and calls the interference penalty. Inexcuseable!

But what do you expect when one of the worse referees of all time -- Andy Van Hellemond -- is the top guy?

That being said, when I got back home to Atlanta, I got to watch the Thrashers - Pens, and that was an extremely well officiated game. The best I've seen in a long time. Forget who the officials were.

In the end, I think the players have to begin respecting the game more and stop trying to draw all these penalties. Keep the feet moving and you get pulled down, then OK. But if you're 6'6" and go sprawling after somebody the stature of Martin St. Louis gives you a little tug, then...

You get the point, I'm sure.

Next rant: Bad Ice.

my father and i debate the issue of fighting all the time, particularly how they call it. he argues that they should enforce the instigator rule more often and give harsher penalties for it. i argue that if both players drop the gloves and start fighting mutually that it should stay a five minute major and that's all.

the mckenzie call today proved my point. why was mckenzie given the instigator? they both dropped the gloves at the same time! my dad's attitude towards the call was, "it's deserved, i wish they would call that more often."

NO. when someone starts fighting before the other, therefore getting an unfair advantage and possibly injuring the opponent, THEN there should be an instigator. but that call today was horrible. both dropped the gloves at the same time, why was one person treated differently? no explanation to it whatsoever. if that's the way bettman wants to call on fighting, making iffy calls giving one team an unfair advantage, then it only makes me hate him more. this game is changing for the worse.

p.s. i am not the type of fan that needs fighting to enjoy the game, quite the opposite actually, but i respect its place in the game and hope that it is called fairly in the present and the future.

Have to disagree, sheeps, McKenzie clearly 'instigated' the fight.. he skated over, and Mac clearly got the first punch in before Worrell's gloves were off and before he was squared away to fight.. Peter was a willing fighter, but Worrell's gloves only came off as a reaction to McKenzie skating over. Them's the rules. I don't really like it, but that's how it's going to be.

so if you skate over, you're the instigator? if that's part of the rule then ok but i don't agree with the rule then. no matter who insitgates it they're going to have to skate towards each other to start it. from the tv replay it looked like both had the gloves off before the first punch, but then again it could have just been doc and chico's "unbiased" commentary