Rangers Throwing In The Towel?

Devil Boy

Time running out

Beleaguered Rangers' season slipping away

By JOHN DELLAPINA

Faceoff.com correspondent

The New York Rangers gave out 2003 wall calendars to their paying customers Monday night. Typically snazzy Rangers productions, each page included a portrait of a key player shot by photographer Andrew Eccles that managed to capture the essence of some aspect of that player's personality.

Presented with one before the game, one nabob of negativism in the press box cracked: "Shouldn't a Rangers calendar stop at February." Shot back another: "At the very least, there shouldn't be any pages after April."

Fact is, this season's Rangers schedule might stop including meaningful games even earlier than usual. If the Rangers don't somehow figure out a way to mount a surge within the next couple of weeks -- extremely unlikely given the battered state of their roster and the three months' evidence to the contrary they've already presented -- nothing after the All-Star Break will matter much.

Jumping the gun? We'll let you decide.

First of all, the "mere" five points that separated them from the eighth and last Eastern Conference playoff spot going into Wednesday night's games? An optical illusion, like just about everything encouraging surrounding the Rangers.

They've played three more games than the surging Islanders, who sat in that eighth spot after their victory Tuesday night. So add anywhere from three to six points to that difference between the two backyard rivals.

As for picking off one of the seven teams currently ahead of the Isles. You can rule out six of them right now.

In their own Atlantic Division, the Rangers couldn't catch Philadelphia or New Jersey with a private, lavishly-appointed jet -- :clap::clap: which the club happens to possess, by the way. Northeast Division contenders Ottawa, Boston and Toronto also are off the Rangers' radar screen.

And whoever wins the Southeast Division, no matter what their record, obviously gets a spot.

So that leaves the Rangers having to beat out either the Islanders or the team that finishes second in the Southeast -- that right now looks like either Tampa Bay or Washington.

Not impossible, you say? Well, perhaps you're forgetting that such a scenario also assumes that the Rangers pass FOUR other teams ahead of them in the conference standings -- including Pittsburgh, which has beaten them by a combined 12-1 in their two meetings this season.

And, as if all that weren't daunting enough (and don't you think it ought to be?), here's the real story: Of the 13 Eastern Conference teams with a realistic shot at making the playoffs -- Atlanta and Buffalo must be excluded -- the Rangers are the ONLY one that entered play Wednesday night below .500.

Not only that, they were SIX games below .500. Which means that, in reality, they needed to make up at least six games on the rest of their competitors over the season's second half. And that doesn't mean just play six games over .500 the rest of the way -- an astronomical task for a team that hasn't finished at .500 or better since 1996-97 -- but well above that. Because .500 ain't going to get you into the playoffs in the Eastern Conference.

So the Rangers really must play the rest of the season at least 10 games over .500 -- or something like 22-12-4-1 over their final 39 games.

To do so, they probably can't afford to slog through their 12 remaining January games under .500. But can they really be expected to do much more?

After all, there is no telling when the long-underappreciated and utterly indispensible Brian Leetch will return to the lineup -- he's missed 15 straight with a severely bruised ankle tendon that simply won't heal. And top sniper Pavel Bure is probably at least two weeks away from coming back after twin arthroscopic knee surgeries performed Dec. 16.

Without their offense's igniter (Leetch) and finisher (Bure, for the last 13 games) the Rangers have been limited to two goals or fewer 13 times over the last 15 games. The other two games they exploded for three goals.

Dizzy from all of that math? Well, here's the bottom line: The Rangers are a longshot to make the playoffs. And GM Glen Sather must therefore decide right away whether this season is redeemable and how to save it.

The prudent choice is to accept reality, take your medicine and not throw away anymore young players or draft picks to further bankrupt the future for a slim chance at present-tense success.

Will Sather go that route? Well, he traded a fourth-round draft pick to Chicago for Boris Mironov late Tuesday night. Any other questions?

INJURY REPORT: The Rangers' injury situation officially got ridiculous Monday night when even role players began dropping like flies.

High-energy winger Ronald Petrovicky was lost for four weeks to a high left ankle sprain. And rugged fourth liner Gordie Dwyer was knocked out by a strained hamstring.

With defensemen Dale Purinton (broken foot) and Sylvain Lefebvre (broken hand) out with long-term injuries and center Petr Nedved nursing a hip pointer, the Rangers ran a practice Tuesday that looked like the kind of workouts playoff teams run -- 13 skaters including hardly any regulars.

"From the standpoint of hanging together and persevering, that's our motto," Bryan Trottier said. "It doesn't give us two points or anything in the standings, but that's where we're at."

Not quite a concession speech. But certainly a concession to stark reality.

DM:

Good thing they don't play the 'Canes all the time or they would be competing for the Presidents trophy right now

Yeah (BTW, as of yet there is no truth to the rumor that the Ranger$ are petitioning the NHL to have Carolina in its division next year so they could play a couple more games with them :rolleyes: ), and for everyone who thinks the Devs have earth-shattering problems, try being a Canes fan right about now...they're now a game under .500 tooth-and nail for the playoffs having been swept four games by the Ranger$ (with most of the games not even close!), also with recent losses to Buffalo and Atlanta and similar goal-scoring problems. I knew they were a bit of a fluke but man, they are flat-out awful right now. Of course if they played the Devils tomorrow, it'd still probably be another 2-1 win for them. :lol::puke:

My husband went to the game last night with Corporate seats from his brother. I stayed home :P

Ewe the bobblehead is ugly! I think I must artfully add the uni brow...just a few hairs etched in carefully here and there. But then they went and made Holik look chinless -- He's a blockhead - how easy it would have been to get it right.

Well bright side? Now I can have my Stevens bobblehead fight his Holik bobblehead!

PK, you are so lucky! I want a Bobby bobblehead so I can "doctor it up" too. Maybe I can get one on EBay.

How frighteningly WRONG do most of those bobbleheads look? As Pepperkorn very astutely noted, it shouldn't be that hard to get some of those faces to at least remotely look like the person.

Did anyone see the Peter Laviolette bobblehead? Are they kidding me? Can you imagine a Pat Burns bobblehead? Think of the possibilities.....

Something hilarious from the Rangers sports-boards.com board (Thanks, Hook!):

In case you think I'm making this up.... I tried the hotline tonight and got the following response...

"Good evening...this is the Rangers official 2002-2003 suicide hotline...please listen carefully as our options are ever changing....if you are calling after 5 P.M... we are closed and operators will not be standing by....if you are calling between the hours of 9 AM and 5 PM, Ron Low will be taking your call....if you want to postpone your call to after 5 PM, we understand!!!"

"If you want information on the latest Ute to be traded, please press 1...

If you want a seating plan package complete with a bag of pucks press 2...

If you would like to speak to any of the spirited Dolan family, press 3...

If you would like Mark Messier to personally counsel you, press 4...

If you would like the videotape highlights package of Valeri Kamensky's Ranger career, press 5....

If you would like a container of nachos complete with a vial of valium, press 6...

If you would just like the valium, press 7 and Mr. Lindros will speak to you...

If you would like the special DVD offer of "John Muckler's Public Speaking

Engagements of 2000-2001" press 8...

If you would like an explanation of why Glen Sather is still the GM of the Rangers, press 9...

If you would like an explanation in Braille, press # and give your name and address, and a bill will be sent for your purchase of the best available seating plan for all remaining Ranger home games, a bag of pucks, and a discount coupon to ride with the zamboni operator between periods of any home Ranger playoff games this year (courtesy of Mr. Sather)!

If you would like to send Mr. Sather any exploding cigars press *

(Background music of "PrimaDonna" acccompanies every call while you wait)

Ewe the bobblehead is ugly!  I think I must artfully add the uni brow...just a few hairs etched in carefully here and there.  But then they went and  made Holik look chinless --  He's a blockhead - how easy it would have been to get it right.

Well bright side? Now I can have my Stevens bobblehead fight his Holik bobblehead!

Yea it's ugly, but better looking that the man himself!

I dunno why they never look at all like the person. I have the Stevens one too, and two of Marty. I don't get the skin color on Marty, I never would have guessed that was him. I guess that's why they put the name on the bottom hehe.

SueNJ97 - Funny stuff. I wish I could get my brother the Ranger fan (who tortured me all summer about how the Rangers are going to the cup this year and the devs will be awful and who now refuses to discuss hockey period) to call there. I am always faxing him stuff like that. :lol:

I agree with Dellapina that being 4 points back of the last playoff spot is deceptively close because of number of games-in-hand. However, those are not necessarily wins-in-hand. Though none of that matters unless the Rangers can win a few of their own.