Thoughts on Phaneuf

Flames

I thought he would blow this season and be over agressive and all that, but i was way off. This guy has impressed me a lot and when the flames were struggling big time early on he seemed like their only dependable dman and was their best overall.

He's special.

He got owned by ruutu in a fight though :D

he's not as gritty as i thought he is though..he makes this big hits, but when push comes to shove somebody always steps in for him or else he looks retararded when trying to take it into his own hands, not a very good fighter.

I thought he would blow this season and be over agressive and all that, but i was way off. This guy has impressed me a lot and when the flames were struggling big time early on he seemed like their only dependable dman and was their best overall.

He's special.

he's not as gritty as i thought he is though..he makes this big hits, but when push comes to shove somebody always steps in for him or else he looks retararded when trying to take it into his own hands, not a very good fighter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What re you talking about, Ruutu triped him and jumped off the ice when Phaneuf wanted to fight him. You are thinkign of someone else.

Phaneuf is better then Stevens at the same age because Stevens was so reckless, Phaneuf has controlled his agression well enough to be the total package. We haven't seen a 20 year defensmen this good in a long long time.

He's special.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess you missed him beating the piss out of Guerin? :uni:

http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2P25KJX...E50Z98AF7FKVQND

:evil:

What re you talking about, Ruutu triped him and jumped off the ice when Phaneuf wanted to fight him. You are thinkign of someone else.

Phaneuf is better then Stevens at the same age because Stevens was so reckless, Phaneuf has controlled his agression well enough to be the total package. We haven't seen a 20 year defensmen this good in a long long time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think he was just joking about the Ruutu thing.

I agree with your assessment of Stevens/Phaneuf @ age 20 too.

Holy sh!t post number 666.... :ph34r:

Edited by L

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now your just talking idiotic.

Phaneuf is a very good player, but he isn't close to Stevens at age 20. Yes, Stevens was reckless, but he intimated the crap out of everyone. Washington was a powerhouse when Stevens was there.

If Phaneuf scores 20 goals and has 40 assists this year, like Stevens did when he was 20 years old ONLY THEN CAN you make such comparisons.

Hes good, but not Stevens caliber good.

Again, Phaneuf looks like a good young player, but he can't compare to Stevens at any age....especially since he less then 30 NHL games to his "career".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not? Crosby was compared to Gretzky and he was ZERO NHL games into his "career."

Extreme example, but players are going to be compared to one another. Hell, we did the same thing all the time with Whitey -- "oh he looks like a young Scotty, give him time, he'll stop taking bad penalties."

Again, Phaneuf looks like a good young player, but he can't compare to Stevens at any age....especially since he less then 30 NHL games to his "career".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm comparing each of their first seasons, I'm not saying that he has proven himself. I'm simply saying that he has all of the same charateristics as a young Stevens and is impressing in his first year.

He has a long way to go reach Stevens overall career obviously, I'm just saying that he is on the right path.

I agree with you on that point, but you did say: "If you compare both of their first seasons Phaneuf is better" which you can say based on less than 30 games.

I really like this kids as well, and he is heading in the right direction hopefully he can fully develop and not get stagnant like others with potential.

I agree with you on that point, but you did say: "If you compare both of their first seasons Phaneuf is better" which you can say based on less than 30 games.

I really like this kids as well, and he is heading in the right direction hopefully he can fully develop and not get stagnant like others with potential.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea that is true, but if you extrapolate his numbers...he will have had a better statistical season, and as we all know he has logged major minutes and been the best defenseman in/on a good core/team.

But we will have to see how things play out.

Edited by L