Devils vs Avs Game Thread

LizDevil30

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shootout is a bunch of bull sh!t. We played better at the end and they still won becuase of a skills competition. Just to make it fair i did not feel like we deserved to win against the wild... w/e I was at the game and had fun section 217!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Were you one of the ones doing the old Ric Flair/4 Horsemen promos during the third period ?? That was some FUNNY stuff !!!

*feel the list rage as I talk MORE wrestling !!! :lol:*

Well I'm a little talked out on the subject of New Jersey Devils hockey after a three and a half hour game, a drive home that was over an hour due to the traffic on a night there were actually like 12-14,000 in the seats lol, and a recap that I lost one in the middle of it before finally being able to do the second one :P So here's some thoughts which I'm sure have already been repeated:

-This is what I hate about the shootout, if the game went on longer the Devils almost surely would have won. And in the scheme of things a win or a tie does a lot more for the psyche than a loss, even a loss with a point. But in fairness, the Devils' top seven couldn't score against a kid in his second National Hockey League game while Marty was stoning the Avs' top shooters so they didn't really deserve to win from that perspective. Plus the Devils just got a win they probably didn't deserve that much against the Wild.

-That all said, a true measure of what this game means is how the players react to 'losing' in the end...because shootout or no shootout, they need to get some two-point games. One-point games aren't going to suffice forever, and falling behind by three goals every game surely isn't acceptable. If losing in overtime is acceptable then the great comeback really meant very little.

-Madden, yes he played like a man possessed and I was really hoping he would have scored in the shootout, it would have been the storybook finish that could have propelled Madden and the team to better things. Although early on in the game it seemed counterproductive as the Devils were too concerned about energy and not enough about MENTALLY playing the game.

-I guess Larry was throwing Gomez a bone by putting him third in the shootout after he supposedly messed up by not having Gomez on the ice late in a crucial situation a week or so ago because of his throat infection. Or he was just rewarding him for the tying goal and a two-point night. Otherwise there really is no rational explanation for having him third and Mogilny fourth. Not that it really mattered since both missed, but Larry would have been roasted if the Devils lost in three shots.

Ha you where wearing a blackhawks jersey nice yeah i think i saw yah

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the black Steve Sullivan one that was the first on the way out when the shootout began right ???

That was my protest jersey from the garbage effort I saw on Wednesday!

the black Steve Sullivan one that was the first on the way out when the shootout began right ???

That was my protest jersey from the garbage effort I saw on Wednesday!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wednesday night was a terrible game. Marty gave up like 3 goals on 4 shots I'm so glad i could not go that day....

Wednesday night was a terrible game. Marty gave up like 3 goals on 4 shots I'm so glad i could not go that day....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://138.89.116.94:1940/2005-2006_season/120705.htm

I said enough in there to justify not having to say it again :evil:

amazing how some players who got called out responded in this one :)

I don't care what anyone says..that was an awesome game!! Even though we lost we had a GREAT time..coulda been the alcohol..but it was great. Crasher I didn't see ya, i was the freak with a massive amount of drinks around me, wearing black, screaming at people to "hit the fvkkin net!!" I don't understand why people wear suits to a hockey game.,.wtf? There was some guy wearing a suit a few rows down from us.. :noclue: O well. Wish we coulda got the shootout win, but it was still awesome!!

Why is water/parking so crazy expensive there?? :blink:

I don't care what anyone says..that was an awesome game!! Even though we lost we had a GREAT time..coulda been the alcohol..but it was great. Crasher I didn't see ya, i was the freak with a massive amount of drinks around me, wearing black, screaming at people to "hit the fvkkin net!!" I don't understand why people wear suits to a hockey game.,.wtf? There was some guy wearing a suit a few rows down from us.. :noclue:  O well. Wish we coulda got the shootout win, but it was still awesome!!

Why is water/parking so crazy expensive there?? :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to NJ :P

How did you like the lovely walk through that awful tunnell ????

Trust me... your great time was the alcohol.. we have one of the worst areans in the league (except for sightlines)

as for the suits thing... you don't realize the impossibility for some people to get to the game after work with the traffic and idiocy of getting to that hell hole arena... and sometimes ya gotta go right from work and there's not exactly a place to hide and change clothes by the arena!!! I have to say though NJ has the most people wearing jerseys in the arena then I've seen in the 13 American NHL Arenas I've been too!!

As for why Philman and Rassmussen got benched, it reminded me of the time Larry benched White in the 2000 playoffs against the Leafs. Remember the team kept taking stupid penalties and he said, the next guy who takes a stupid penalty sits for the rest of the game, I don't care who it is and it happened to be White? Well, last night they kept taking stupid penalties against a deadly PP at a time when they are having an enormous amount of trouble killing them off. It wouldn't surprise me if he told them 'more penalties and there will be benchings' and then followed through. As for Parise, they either have to play him MORE or send him down. One or the other. This limited ice time isn't going to help him. And I don't think they can afford to play him more because he didn't produce earlier in the year when they DID play him more. So what to do?

I'd try someone else from Albany instead of Philman.

I'd try someone else from Albany instead of Philman.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't disagree with this one... after all this was a guy last year who was a healthy scratch for more then half of the 8 games I went to see them play last year... but yet he's rewarded with a shot at being a fringe 4th line player??? What ???

I'd even rather see Sluggo be his inconsistent self here at this point :P

I think Larry has learned from his mistakes. He is no longer coddling players into playing better (Sykora, Arnott, etc.) and losing respect by the other players like he did in 2002. He needs to be more Burns like in order to get them to pay attention (see SC finals 2000-tantrum). I think it has worked with Brown and Matvichuk who have risen to the challenge. Hopefully, it will with McGillis as well.

Larry really likes Zach and Pilhman, but they aren't NHL ready yet, so he uses them sparingly. I like Zach but I think the longer he stays with the big team, the less confidence he seems to have. He needs to go to Albany for a few weeks to get his timing and his confidence back. Pihilman just has lapses in his play.

I can't disagree with this one... after all this was a guy last year who was a healthy scratch for more then half of the 8 games I went to see them play last year... but yet he's rewarded with a shot at being a fringe 4th line player??? What ???

I'd even rather see Sluggo be his inconsistent self here at this point :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since I have been a Sluggo fan since Philly beat up on him in the 2003-2004 pre-season because he just kept skating everywhere and they didn't like it (and, as I remember, Stevens got into a fight because the Flyers kept attacking Sluggo) I would like to see him up as well. But it's not my decision to make. :saddevil:

From what I recalll Sluggo lacks the knowledge of defense.  That won't sit well with Lou or Larry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So did Gomez. He was terrible defensively when he got here. He managed to stick around. And I don't think Sluggo's defensive problems could be worse than the penalties Philman takes. And he might actually score once in a while. Plus, once he's here, maybe Mogilny, who you may notice has been backchecking like his life depends on it lately, could impress on him the importance of this to some extent.

I don't care what anyone says..that was an awesome game!! Even though we lost we had a GREAT time..coulda been the alcohol..but it was great. Crasher I didn't see ya, i was the freak with a massive amount of drinks around me, wearing black, screaming at people to "hit the fvkkin net!!" I don't understand why people wear suits to a hockey game.,.wtf? There was some guy wearing a suit a few rows down from us.. :noclue:
Edited by Hasan4978

You know what I haven't seen miss much this year in the shoot-out?

It's the one my brother used to pull in minor hockey. Rush up the ice, but fade slightly right. Pull the stick back as if to shoot, but don't. Then drag the puck across the goal crease. The goalie who was preparing for the semi-fake, sees the player cutting across the crease and goes down. Then backhand upstairs.

One of the Avs players tried it against Marty, but in the process of cutting across the crease, Marty knocked the puck away with the butt end of his stick. Don't know if he meant to do that or not, but it worked.

Just shooting five-hole does NOT work. Gionta had been firing for corners. But the most successful one's I've seen are where the players have tricked the goaltender into overcommiting early.

Edited by Don