Fischler's Bluelines 1/14/03

Rock

Stan Fischler

Bluelines: Messier's role may be altered

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp...ther&league=nhl

Jan 14, 2003

By Stan Fischler

MSGNetwork.com

The trading of John Grahame has left an opening in net for the struggling Bruins. One possible replacement could be Roberto Luongo, whom Florida might be willing to trade to land Kyle McLaren. Kyle left a strong impression on Mike Keenan when Iron Mike was coaching in Boston. McLaren would fit nicely on the Panthers, who are in desperate need of some toughness.

Phil Esposito has whispered some of the stories that will be in his upcoming autobio, "Bolts and Nuts." Based on those tales, we can assure you it will be the decade's hottest hockey hardcover. Espo is not pulling any punches with ghostwriter, Peter Golenbock, a non-hockey type.

A coach from below the Mason-Dixon Line complains to us privately that some referees have developed "rabbit ears" -- doling out unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for minor chirping. "It's become an ego thing with some of them," says the coach. "Don't they realize that hockey is an emotional game?"

Among the many topics now confronting the Rangers, one of the most discussed is Mark Messier's role from here through the homestretch. His Captain's C won't be removed but his position as top decision-maker among the players may have to be altered along with his ice time. The transition to younger stars won't be easy but -- as we noted in October -- it will be necessary. How well Mess handles his new role -- assuming it happens -- will be interesting.

The Blues and Taco Bell are running a promotion, awarding fans with 35-cent tacos when the team scores five goals. St. Louis reached the mark in 11 of 40 games

Ex-Coyote Mike Sullivan is coaching the AHL Bruins and eyeing an NHL job. Although he retired as a player last year, Sullivan has been considered coaching material. According to Bobby Francis, "It's just a matter of time until Mike evolves into an NHL coach. He has all the credentials to be a head coach in our league."

Jos

Kinda off-topic here, but what is Fischler's reputation for hockey/rumor knowledge? I find him really entertaining with Matt Loughlin - I think they do a very good job on FSNY, but I haven't seen/read his stuff enough to know if he knows what he's talking about. Your opinions?

Fischler really infuriates me when I watch him on FSNY. I can't quite place it, but I don't know why... I just can't stand him.

And Matt Loughlin has got to go. I think Fischler would be a lot better if he had someone better to play off of.

...oh. But as for the topic at hand, he seems to know his hockey, so I would trust that he has solid sources.

Fischler really infuriates me when I watch him on FSNY. I can't quite place it, but I don't know why... I just can't stand him.

And Matt Loughlin has got to go. I think Fischler would be a lot better if he had someone better to play off of.

...oh. But as for the topic at hand, he seems to know his hockey, so I would trust that he has solid sources.

The thing with Stan is that he admits he likes to stir things up, so he deliberately goes a little over the top.

But I helped him out a little with a book he was writing and I have to say that he predicted several things well before they happened. The biggest was Arnott being traded. He told me the Devs were unhappy with his pain threshold and that several of his teammates and the coaching staff were not thrilled with his all-around effort in the summer of 2001. Both these things were cited as issues when Arnie was traded the next March.

The thing with Stan is that he admits he likes to stir things up, so he deliberately goes a little over the top.

Yeah, I've definitely seen that, but he seems to have fun with it.

As far as Matt Loughlin goes, I like him - maybe because he reminds me of our head guy here at my office - just a personality thing.

WHoa, Matt & the Maven are sheer entertainment! Great chemistry between them Matty is the perfect straight man for the Maven's rants.

It is the only between period segments that I actually look forward to watching. Rangers, even with Trautwig aren't as good and ESPN has too many commericials.

As for as his crediblity, I haven't seen any of his rumors come even close to happening.

I think Stan's a Ranger fan :P THAT'S what you can't put your finger on!

Matt and the Maven don't bother me. Matt sucks at play by play though! Oh that's right :o none of you have Metro so you didn't hear him last weekend... I'm sorry :(

;);):P;);):P I HATE it when people say crap like that to me!!!

So anyone miss Derek? :( He didn't even melt down he just up and disappeared on us! :unsure: When the Ranger fans here were at him - not even us even! Derek worked for Stan! :D

I want Scott Stevens to add to his points on the Islanders...I want him to score tonight...I mean a goal, not with the ice girls or anything ... I bet if I were in a room with Scott Stevens I wouldn't even look at him - no eye contact for me... I'd be too shy even :saddevil: I'd need my husband there to talk to him for me...and that would spoil everything then soo I guess our romance os DOOMED... :lol: I'm bored...sorry you guys thanks for putting up with me :evil:

Anyhow -- I like the guys even though they are pretty hokey and stuff. I like Chico and Doc best though - the four are good tag teams!

Stan saw the Sykora thing and the Arnott thing coming miles away - if you look back on his articles months before the trades, he predicted both.

We ALLLLLLL saw them coming! Sheesh! And McKay as well! They were all stuck in that freaking loser mentality and not even trying to power out of it like Madden was.

sorry i guess I'm overtired as well as bored-ish :saddevil:

I think Stan's a Ranger fan :P THAT'S what you can't put your finger on!

Stan's first job was with the Rangers, I think. He's not a fan of them per se (actually, he grew up a Leaf fan).

But he does like to see all the local teams do well. It makes his job more interesting.

I think the Devils have it good with their broadcasting teams - Doc & Chico during the game, and Matt & the Maven in the studio & doing interviews & stuff. There are so many bad broadcasting teams out there - gag - like Pittsburgh, Carolina, Nashville - I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

I didn't care too much for the Devils' radio guys last spring, when internet was the only way I could get the games.

I think the Devils have it good with their broadcasting teams - Doc & Chico during the game, and Matt & the Maven in the studio & doing interviews & stuff. There are so many bad broadcasting teams out there - gag - like Pittsburgh, Carolina, Nashville - I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Madd dog has a list of most hated broadcasters! We probably shouldn't even get her started!

I will say I am always surprised at Stan's relatively non-partisan approach.

Detroit's Steve Avery.. might want to do some fact checking there Stan, Steve Avery was a Braves pitcher in the mid 90s.

I've always liked Matt and the Maven.. Fischler can sometimes be off the wall but as someone said, he's being paid to do that. Sometimes he is way off base and sometimes he's remarkably observant.

There are so many bad broadcasting teams out there - gag - like Pittsburgh, Carolina, Nashville - I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Yikes, Pittsburgh's is HORRIBLE! I had to watch the last NJ-Pitt game on FSPittsburgh, and they're just terrible, plain terrible. Weren't even paying attention to the play-by-play, went off into tangents about getting stuck in elevators that broke down, complained about how cold CAA was, etc.

And the Flyers ones on CN8 or whatever it is are also horrific. They taut the Flyers as the best team in the NHL, bar-none, regardless of what any other source or authority says. One of my favorite comments from the second matchup against the Devils: "Behind the Flyers, the Devils have the best defense in the east." :puke:

Yikes, Pittsburgh's is HORRIBLE! I had to watch the last NJ-Pitt game on FSPittsburgh, and they're just terrible, plain terrible. Weren't even paying attention to the play-by-play, went off into tangents about getting stuck in elevators that broke down, complained about how cold CAA was, etc.

Yep, that's the one - really awful!!

I haven't had to listen to the Philly guys yet. :)

So anyone miss Derek? :( He didn't even melt down he just up and disappeared on us! :unsure: When the Ranger fans here were at him - not even us even! Derek worked for Stan! :D

Yah, where'd he go? Why is it that all the fun/controversial people are either banned or leave? :unsure:

Hee hee hee

I went to Villanova for 4 years, so I was subjected to 82 games a year of the Flyers on Comcast Sports to appease my hockey addiction while I had to listen to Devils games on the internet. It sucks, too, because I only got to see that amazing, amazing 2001 team 4 times during the regular season before they rolled over in the playoffs.

Anyway, The Flyers' guys became a comedy show for me. They are the angriest, bitterest, least informed sportscasters I've ever heard. Those two numbnuts helped me formulate my theory on Philadelphia sports fans - all angry, underpaid dock workers who would gladly take a fight over a victory, because then there's at least a reason to fight in the parking lot.

But then, they fight even after wins. God help the East Coast if the EA - GL - ES win the super bowl.