RANGERS ACQUIRE PETR SYKORA

langs15

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm interesting, not sure what to think of this... yet another ex Dev playing for the Enemy and Evil Empire. I guess this just gives Dev fans yet even more reason to despise him :lol:

(I have to admit that the Sykora hatred perplexes me a bit, despite what happened prior to him being moved out of NJ.. but now even his fans are gonna have a hard time rooting for him since he's with the Bluesh*ts).

According to Sportsnet.ca:

Rangers nab Sykora

Sportsnet has learned Petr Sykora is headed to the Big Apple.

Sportsnet.ca -- The New York Rangers have acquired right winger Petr Sykora from the Anaheim Mighty Ducks along with a fourth-round pick in exchange for defenceman Maxim Kondratiev, Sportsnet has learned.

Sykora had seven goals and 13 assists in 34 games with the Ducks this season. The forward has been rumoured to be on his way out of Anaheim for weeks after falling out of favour with general manager Brian Burke.

Kondratiev has one goal and two assists in 29 games with the Rangers this year.

More details to follow...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp...108_151527_2516

I feel like Syk is going to do VERY well for the Rags. Won't be in a pressure situation with the offense New York has, but can still contribute -- playing with Jagr is going to really help him. If this deal works out for them, it really is going to make things tough on us, being division rivals and all.

At least we got our Elias back, though, because I'd take Elias over Sykora any day of the week.

Not a surprise here - Rangers have needed more scoring all year, and now that they're not getting 5 on 3 power plays every game, they're doing something about it.

Yet this will be a pressure situation in New York, because their offense past Jagr stinks.

Still, getting to play with the 34757457 other Czech players in New York can't hurt. I don't think he'll regain his NJ form but I think he will be a contributor.

Not a surprise here - Rangers have needed more scoring all year, and now that they're not getting 5 on 3 power plays every game, they're doing something about it.

Yet this will be a pressure situation in New York, because their offense past Jagr stinks.

Still, getting to play with the 34757457 other Czech players in New York can't hurt.  I don't think he'll regain his NJ form but I think he will be a contributor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree. They have 20 goals out of Prucha, 10 each from Rucinsky (29 pts) and Straka (44 pts). They also have Nylander to help out and chip in a few goals here and there, plus the guy is an assist machine -- put Nylander with Sykora and I think you have a good combo right there. Yeah it's a nice decline after that, but he won't entirely be relied upon for offense. And with a team filled with Czechs, he should be a lot more comfortable and able to fit in.

I disagree. They have 20 goals out of Prucha, 10 each from Rucinsky (29 pts) and Straka (44 pts). They also have Nylander to help out and chip in a few goals here and there, plus the guy is an assist machine -- put Nylander with Sykora and I think you have a good combo right there. Yeah it's a nice decline after that, but he won't entirely be relied upon for offense. And with a team filled with Czechs, he should be a lot more comfortable and able to fit in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Prucha has had one extremely hot streak - he's not going to score 40 goals this year, and he'll be lucky if he gets to 35.

The Rangers really haven't scored that many more goals than the Devils. They've needed scoring in the worst way. No, Sykora won't be called upon to be 'the guy' but he's being sent to a big market team that could make the playoffs for the first time in 8 years. If he starts out in New York like he did in Anaheim, he will be getting booed.

Prucha has had one extremely hot streak - he's not going to score 40 goals this year, and he'll be lucky if he gets to 35. 

The Rangers really haven't scored that many more goals than the Devils.  They've needed scoring in the worst way.  No, Sykora won't be called upon to be 'the guy' but he's being sent to a big market team that could make the playoffs for the first time in 8 years.  If he starts out in New York like he did in Anaheim, he will be getting booed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh definitely -- that's why I think this could be good for him, a fresh start of sorts. It's really a now-or-never situation for Syk, but I think he'll be able to rebound nice if it can work out. I think Prucha will still get going this year, he did have that hot streak as you said but is definitely capable of getting it done again.

The Rangers have good goaltending, which really helps the situation. If you do get a couple guys like Nyl and Straka on hot streaks again, the team will be VERY dangerous. Couple that with an always-capable Jagr and the addition of Sykora and I think you're looking at a lethal team. They're getting there, and Sykora may just be the missing factor here.

I'm not saying I wanted Sykora on the Devils, hell, I was one of the biggest advocates for NOT bringing him here. Sykora has no place on the Devils, nor does his contract. I think, however, given New York's situation, he can be a very good fit.

Most of the assist totals are because of Jagr and Prucha though, the Rangers have had issues scoring goals outside of Jagr and Prucha, they have like 1/3 of the team's goals between them, hell they have six more goals than us and everyone knows about our problems scoring past Gionta and lately Gomer/Elias ;)

So it doesn't surprise me that they'd go this route - or that his value was not very much in the trade - although I thought they needed (ironically enough) a Leetch-type more, considering they have no consistent offensive threat on the D. I do think the environment will help him though.

Edited by Hasan4978

Most of the assist totals are because of Jagr and Prucha though, the Rangers have had issues scoring goals outside of Jagr and Prucha, they have like 1/3 of the team's goals between them, hell they have six more goals than us and everyone knows about our problems scoring past Gionta and lately Gomer/Elias ;) 

So it doesn't surprise me that they'd go this route although I thought they needed (ironically enough) a Leetch-type more, considering they have no consistent offensive threat on the D.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They've been relying on their offense from Tyutin, who has played VERY well for the Rangers this year. While I still think there's something missing on the D in terms of a nice puck moving defenseman, Tyutin does somewhat fill a void. They're not as bad off as it may seem.

Tyutin's their leading point-getter on D I think but he's only got 13 points total? That's not really that great a total for the highest scoring d-man.

And I'm glad all the 'trade Sykora to the Devils' speculation will now end but am not looking forward to the 'why didn't we trade for Sykora' whining every time he scores a big goal for the Rangers :rolleyes:

Tyutin's their leading point-getter on D I think but he's only got 13 points total?  That's not really that great a total for the highest scoring d-man.

And I'm glad all the 'trade Sykora to the Devils' speculation will now end but am not looking forward to the 'why didn't we trade for Sykora' whining every time he scores a big goal for the Rangers :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not talking about whole season. He started out slow but has really come on as of late. I think he has 5 points in his last 5 games.