Hockey Fans Return to Stadiums, but not to TV

SueNJ97

NBC Game Ratings Down 21% Compared to Two Years Ago

I'm putting the link in for those curious about Ad Age, but you will have to register to use it. Notice that they made certain changes (read: shootout, no instigating fights in the last 5 minutes) only for the casual fan (because the casual fan is turned off by ties and hates fighting) and the casual fan never turned on the frigging set. Nice job, guys.

http://adage.com/news.cms?newsId=48175

March 08, 2006

QwikFIND ID: AAR48R

By Rich Thomaselli

NEW YORK (AdAge.com) -- The national hockey League

Edited by SueNJ97

Neilson ratings are still around? Man, what a joke. They are like polls, meaningless. Unless you honestly believe that if you put a box in one white 35 year old male's home, whatever he's watching is what every white 35 year old male is watching. Gimme a break. And I read somewhere, I don't remember, that Tivo makes the system really unreliable.

Of course if you tell everyone that a particular show is what everyone is watching, I guess they'll watch.

Sadly though, hockey doesn't translate well on television.

Having previously been employed by Nielsen, I can say that there are some truths and inaccuracies in Liz's post.

Also, I do not have Tivo, nor do I know how it works. I can only assume that it is similar to a VCR: you need to tune into the channel/station for the device to actually record. If that is the case, then when the program is being recorded, that is when it is being counted as viewed.

TIVO is insignificant to ratings as it owned by less than 1% of total tv viewers.

Nielsen ratings are a projection based on a small sample of "returned" diaries in most markets. Local TV stations HATE using metered boxes because it shows the erosion to cable is a fact.

If you believe the Nielsen ratings NO ONE WATCHES NCAA basketball in March.

Its a very inexact science.

Nielsen has recently overhauled its ratings methodology, and as I recall caused an upraor because of it with certain demographic groups (mainly minorities, because it seems to seriously undercount things that were on the WB and UPN). However, I don't recall that it actually said nobody watched March Madness. I've listened to Mike & the Mad Dog recite the ratings for years, they were getting them from Nielsen. They seemed to be saying people were watching the March Madness.

Tivo actually releases it's own stuff which, I understand, Nielsen now uses to adjust its numbers. If you want to look at Internet advertising data I would use Comscore and not Nielsen NetRatings, they do a better job.

From what I've heard March Madness ratings have declined over the years. I still don't understand why the nations media would donate so much attention to a college basketball tournament? regular basketball is bad enough...

From what I've heard March Madness ratings have declined over the years. I still don't understand why the nations media would donate so much attention to a college basketball tournament? regular basketball is bad enough...

WTF else is going on in sports? March Madness is a huge deal in places that aren't the East Coast.

WTF else is going on in sports? March Madness is a huge deal in places that aren't the East Coast.

nothing, but you don't need to elevate something as amateurish as college hoops to the limelight. It's a boring, faceless tournament.

It's gotten to the point where the networks care more than the fans. Mike and Chris will try to talk up college basketball, but callers steer the conversations elsewhere.

nothing, but you don't need to elevate something as amateurish as college hoops to the limelight. It's a boring, faceless tournament.

It's gotten to the point where the networks care more than the fans. Mike and Chris will try to talk up college basketball, but callers steer the conversations elsewhere.

As I said, New York doesn't care about the NCAA tournament - there's never a contender from New York. But in flyover country this is a big deal. New York is not a hotbed of college footbal either for the same reason. Mike and Chris talk about it so much because there is *nothing* else to talk about in sports right now - the Knicks suck, they wouldn't know hockey if Darius Kasparaitis elbowed them in the face, and they've talked about baseball for the last 5 months and there's nothing new to talk about.