ELIAS ENVISIONS DEVIL OF CHOICE

Rock

Brodeur signed for lower than market because he got more years that way. The Devils would've never given him 6 years at his market price because they're pretty sure he won't be worth that in 6 years. So Brodeur is passing up money now for money later - he doesn't want to be 38 and having to go UFA and possibly find a new team. It's in both parties' self-interest to sign a deal like this.

Go look at the articles when he was signed. He said there were two parts to it. He said he might have signed for less than market, but he was doing that because the Devils needed to sign Elias and Gionta. You will remember people here rumbling that he didn't mention Gomez by name.

Marty: ok i'm looking at about 6.5 - 7 mil Lou what do you think?

Lou: well to stay competitive we need to lower that number how about 6.25?

Marty: well then I want to ensure I'm here for the rest of my career so how about for 6 years?

Lou: well that puts me in a bad position if you slack off toward the end of your career...lets make it 6 years but we'll drop the figure down to 6 mil a year.

Marty: I can deal with that but then I want to make sure there's no way I can get booted. I want a no trade claus.

Lou: ok we can do that to but again that puts me in a bad position if something happens...lets drop that figure down to 5.75 and I'll buy you a pizza...

Marty: Sounds good Louie, where do i sign?

That right there shows strong negotiating skills by Lou. :)

Great insight though. Little things (or I guess they are big things) like a no trade clause and an extra year or two past your "prime" can always lower the price a little. Also if winning is a main concern to Elias, I don't think he's a stupid person and would want to max out his value. I honestly think he'd like something in the 6M area... and that can be worked out. Also he sounds like this is his only chance at the FA market so I'm pretty sure he'd like to be locked up for the rest of his career.

The cap goes up, so his contract can go up, plus there's still some money to be competitive.

Cheers,

- Roland

Elias will be back with a deal similar to Marty, long term around the $5 million a year. If Patrik is serious about winning he knows that the more he makes the less we have to field a more competitive team.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lou makes a pitch for Elias's buddy Martin Erat.

To me this looks like he wants some better players to play around,

I think that rather than this be about the money its going to be about who he lines up with next year, he knows lou will pretty much give him the earth to stay so he dosent have to worry about the money,

but he keeps saying that its about winning and enjoying playing, so i guess he wants some help to make life easier.

If i was in pattys position i think i would ask for the same thing.

Gee, he's trying to do what he thinks is best for him...it may not be best for his current employer...and this is awful exactly why???

I didn't say it was awful. I didn't say he was a bad person.

Let me try something here:

I was a programmer at a relatively small company. I didn't like the people around me; particularly I didn't like the management. I really disliked the whole organization. It was a consulting firm, and I was one of the favorites of the client, so at the year-end evaluation and salary negotiations it was no holds barred. And when a better offer came along, I didn't think twice about telling them where to go. I don't think they would have wanted me the be the company's motivational leader.

My brother also works at a relatively small company. I loves the work, great collegues and he gets along very well with his superiors. He really wants to see the company succeed. He works, unpaid, a lot of weekends because he believes in the business and really wants to see the company succeed. He could push for the overtime pay, but he knows the company is small and growing and he would rather see the company grow and succeed rather than milk the company for everything he could get. I think if they put him in a leadership position he would thrive in it.

I don't think either of us were bad people for our decisions. I just think that someone who milks the situation at the cost of the business isn't someone that should be in a position of leadership. It doesn't show much consideration for the organizations needs. When I was negotiating my salary increase, I was taking care of numero uno, and didn't give a damn about the rest of my team. I wouldn't condemn Elias for doing the exact same thing I did. However, I think it shows ones consideration of the organization.

Go look at the articles when he was signed. He said there were two parts to it. He said he might have signed for less than market, but he was doing that because the Devils needed to sign Elias and Gionta. You will remember people here rumbling that he didn't mention Gomez by name.

Elias will take a Devils' discount, but to me it's much smaller than Brodeur's. If someone offers him $1m more over 4 years, he will probably take the Devils' offer. But if someone offers him $4m more over 4 years, he'll probably go there.

Stevens got paid $7.5m for his last three years in New Jersey, and I don't think many people would be arguing that he was worth that compared to the other defensemen in the league - that was slightly above market price, if anything. So all this claptrap about Elias taking less to help out New Jersey - he's not going to. He'll take less because he likes it in New Jersey, but he's not going to take much less. He's been taking less for years so that the Devils could afford Stevens, etc. - now it's his turn to get paid.

Don, if I am understanding you correctly, your position seems to be that going for the most money you can in contract negotiations makes you unfit for a significant leadership role.

So should NJ have removed Stevens as captain after he signed the offer sheet from St. Louis after the 1994 season and, if so, who do you suggest they should have made captain? And please don't tell me that was then, this is now. It's comparable, especially since Stevens actually signed with another team.

The difference between Stevens and Elias is that the sky was the limit on salaries before. It's a whole new puck game.

All the cap does is put player's salaries in perspective....it still doesn't mean that Elias is a bad guy because he's looking for a fair contract...besides I've pointed out countless times in countless articles how he is just looking for the "right" offer....that and he owes the organization and would love to stay a Devil....I don't know where everybody is getting the idea that he is looking for the most money he can possibly get...he's looking for fairness and he's curious about his worth....as I've said before he was lowballed his whole career and did it for various reasons I'm sure but now he's the most valuable player on the Devils who isn't a goaltender named Marty and should be paid like it....there's nothing wrong with that....I only scanned your analogy because I was a bit rushed when I first saw it but the only thing i can say is if you are a programmer and you've been with a company your whole career and although they've treated you fairly they've also paid you significantly less than your worth anyone ANYONE would be curious of their actual worth not only to other computer companies but to your own company as well...as Elias stated he is in an situation that is to his advantage but it doesn't mean he's going to take advantage of it...that was right before he said the organization did a lot for him and he owes the organization....

The difference between Stevens and Elias is that the sky was the limit on salaries before. It's a whole new puck game.

No - the Devils had a budget or 'salary cap'. Just because it wasn't mandated by the league doesn't mean the Devils didn't have one.