I Think Rafalski Will Be Gone Before Gomez.

Devils_fan4life

I still think Rafalski will be gone before Gomez. If the Devils can sign Gomez for a 4-5 year deal, I think they will trade Rafalski(with Mogilny), and pick up a fairly solid D via UFA, (2-2.5 million range) I don't know what Leetch(one year), Markov, Zidlicky, would go for, but they are available. Martin will take his place. Martin, White, MAtvichuk, Hale, Lukowich and...? Gomez is too valuable to lose.

What teams need a D to move the puck? Atlanta could use one. Don't know what their cap numbers are though. What about Edmonton, Pittsburgh(have Gonchar), Washington?

Whatya think? OPinions.

Zidlicky was re-signed by Nashville months ago.

Pittsburgh and Washington are not looking to compete this season, and thus they will not give up assets for a player who they could simply sign as an UFA next summer.

Atlanta is up against it.

Edmonton is a possibility. They are rumored to be very interested in Rafalski. They also have the cap room to absorb his contract (but not Mogilny's), and the assets to deal (picks/prospects/players). I would be gunning for Torres, who makes $925k, and would be a terrific addition to the team. Not sure if Edmonton gives him up though.

I agree, I think Lou will value Gomez's assets and age more than Rafalksi's.

Zidlicky isn't realistic (via trade or in dealing with the cap) and Markov wont help with cap issues.

Maybe a trade could be made with LA for Tim Gleason. He's only 23 and had a pretty solid year for a guy playing 70 games for the first time in his career. They might take Rafalski and Mogliny for him, at the very least with the Devils eating a third of Mogilny's salary).

No matter what the devils are screwed.

So if they deal Mogilny or Malakhov they're screwed?

I agree, I think Lou will value Gomez's assets and age more than Rafalksi's.

Zidlicky isn't realistic (via trade or in dealing with the cap) and Markov wont help with cap issues.

Maybe a trade could be made with LA for Tim Gleason. He's only 23 and had a pretty solid year for a guy playing 70 games for the first time in his career. They might take Rafalski and Mogliny for him, at the very least with the Devils eating a third of Mogilny's salary).

You can't pay part of the contract under the new CBA. It goes in full in a trade.

Who in their right mind would want those two old farts?

Malakhov is suspended and he's not being payed any money, he's simply a cap hit (35+ clause). The Devils could probably package a high pick with Malakhov to some low salary team like Washington or St. Louis. They'll get a 1st or 2nd rounder for doing zilch, since they won't have to pay him.

I still think Rafalski will be gone before Gomez. If the Devils can sign Gomez for a 4-5 year deal, I think they will trade Rafalski(with Mogilny), and pick up a fairly solid D via UFA, (2-2.5 million range) I don't know what Leetch(one year), Markov, Zidlicky, would go for, but they are available. Martin will take his place. Martin, White, MAtvichuk, Hale, Lukowich and...? Gomez is too valuable to lose.

What teams need a D to move the puck? Atlanta could use one. Don't know what their cap numbers are though. What about Edmonton, Pittsburgh(have Gonchar), Washington?

Whatya think? OPinions.

Why would you trade our best defensemen, who is inexpensive compared to recent D-men signings???

That would be such a boneheaded move it would set us back several years. UFA's historically have NEVER helped any team on defense (it will take at least a year to adjust to team philosophy and establish chemistry with your defensive partner).

I love Gomer and I hope Lou will find a loophole to keep him long term (unless what Carlos asks for will hurt us in the long run), but it is much, much easier to develop or acquire a center than a defensemen.

Our defense is set and its actually one of our strengths and Lou knows it.

Let's be realistic, will the Devs have the money available next year to re-sign Rafalski, with all the other salary committments on the table? Probably not. Raffy already makes $4.2 mil per year, and will probably get a 2 or 3 year deal for over $5 mil per year.

Why wouldn't you trade a defenseman who's going to be 33 before the season starts, in a walk year, instead of a 27 year old top line center?

totally agreed with z-man. scott is more valuable to this organization right now and for the future. We do have up and coming puck moving d-men in martin and greene, however we do not have a 80-90 point speedy 1st line playmaking center in the pipe.

Let's be realistic, will the Devs have the money available next year to re-sign Rafalski, with all the other salary committments on the table? Probably not. Raffy already makes $4.2 mil per year, and will probably get a 2 or 3 year deal for over $5 mil per year.

Why wouldn't you trade a defenseman who's going to be 33 before the season starts, in a walk year, instead of a 27 year old top line center?

Next year, we will not have the Mogz, Malakhov (and others players like Wiemer) Salary.

I still believe that we can have Rafi & Gomez on the line-up

We should be able to keep Rafalski and Gomer...I don't see why not...If we are going into next season not as good as last simply because of cap problems with the M&M contracts then I'd rather shed the dead weight we don't need and let our albany guys fill in for a year....I'd much rather have Tallakson, Zajac, Bergfors and the like in the lineup and not be as good and having to shed Brylin, Rass, possibly Madden and the like as opposed to losing one of Gomer, Rafalski, or Gionta and still having an off season next year....of course I'd rather lou get to thinking, get the M's off the cap and sign all we need and dominate next season :D

We should be able to keep Rafalski and Gomer...I don't see why not...

Elias $6MM

Brodeur $5.2MM

White $3MM

Madden $2.9MM

Langs $2.8MM

Then add $5-6MM for Gomez

and another $5MM for Rafalski?

That's $30.9 million for seven players. Good luck trying to field a competitive team with 16 players using the remaining $13 million.

There's no way we can keep both.

Elias $6MM

Brodeur $5.2MM

White $3MM

Madden $2.9MM

Langs $2.8MM

Then add $5-6MM for Gomez

and another $5MM for Rafalski?

That's $30.9 million for seven players. Good luck trying to field a competitive team with 16 players using the remaining $13 million.

There's no way we can keep both.

I hate to go with the old saying "If anyone can do it Lou can..." But looking at it from a perspective it breaks down like this

Franchise Goalie: 5.2 - Not bad considering he's the best in the League and probably the world.

Franchise Forward: 6 - He makes everyone he plays with better...he'll be our captain and he's a lifer

Top Line Center: 5 - He's worth it yeah...although a top line center should make more towards 4.5

Top Defensive pair: 8 - Again this doesn't seem bad or too much..just maybe too much for us....

Second Line Winger: 2.8 - probably a little much but he showed in the playoffs why he's here...2.5 would have been better

Checking Line Center: 3 - no way...can't be done...he'd be the odd man out in my book...

It looks more and more like the Stanley Cup finals is going to be a crap shoot between teams who get lucky enough to have cheap talent that mesh well together...it also shows that the fourth line has to be a cheap rookie line that helps out...as much as I love Janssen if he doesn't get line mates that can score then he's pointless out there....The third line also should have a vet of some sort but one that will put up some numbers or is cheaper...i.e. Pando over Madden....the other two on that line have to be able to come cheap and play hard...

Here's hoping more than ever Lou can pull something off....

If you trade Rafalski, Gomez doesn't matter.

Martin is improving but has two years before he can get to the level of Rafi. Greene???? Hasn't played a game in the NHL and you can't rush the developement of a defensemen (he is at least two years away from making it as our #6 guy).

Trading Rafi is not an option if the Devils want to make the playoffs. He is our best defensemen and will be resigned next year when Mogilny & Malakhov salaries are removed.

LOL

considering Lou builds his team around defence, i dont see him getting rid of the best D man we have to accomadate a centre.

it is just counter productive, we might score more but we would ship more goals as a result.

Every time there is potential for a trade someone instantly shouts Rafalski.

Id rather lose a few players like sarge and grant marshall and give the kids like tallackson a chance than lose Rafalski.

Every time there is potential for a trade someone instantly shouts Rafalski.

Actually it's more like "33 year old, small, slightly above average defenseman making $4.2 million, due to be a free agent after 2007."

Id rather lose a few players like sarge and grant marshall and give the kids like tallackson a chance than lose Rafalski.

Sure, if there was no cap, that'd be fine. But Marshall only makes $760k, and Brylin $1.52 mil. Replace them with two guys making the mininum, and you've only saved $1.38 mil. Not nearly enough cap space created.

Plus, saying you want to get rid of Brylin will probably cause an outrage from many posters. :uni:

Edited by Z-Man

Actually it's more like "33 year old, small, slightly above average defenseman making $4.2 million, due to be a free agent after 2007."

And considering he was one of our better defencman this year shows you how bad the defence would be if we lost him to keep gomez (thats if we even have to lose gomez).

Sure, if there was no cap, that'd be fine. But Marshall only makes $760k, and Brylin $1.52 mil. Replace them with two guys making the mininum, and you've only saved $1.38 mil. Not nearly enough cap space created.

Plus, saying you want to get rid of Brylin will probably cause an outrage from many posters.

We already have players like tallackon currently counting to the cap so we could still save money, and saying brylin could be traded will annoye some people but i dont think he fits on this team anymore.

I love sarge , but the more i look at the team i cant see where he fits, i hope he can prove me wrong.