Gionta on LTIR

section 110

this was mentioned between periods tonight vs. Carolina. Appears that he can be back for the last 5 games or so of the regular season.

Of course, this means that we can probably activate Matvichuk a bit earlier due to the cap space savings. If Gio makes $4m per and he's out for 10 games, that's approximately $487k of cap space freed up.

Can someone confirm the cap relief?

this was mentioned between periods tonight vs. Carolina. Appears that he can be back for the last 5 games or so of the regular season.

Of course, this means that we can probably activate Matvichuk a bit earlier due to the cap space savings. If Gio makes $4m per and he's out for 10 games, that's approximately $487k of cap space freed up.

Can someone confirm the cap relief?

There is no cap relief - it's temporary. If the Devils wished to activate Matvichuk, they could do so, but they'd have a problem when Gionta wanted to return. IR doesn't grant cap relief - it just allows a team to go over the cap by a certain amount. It appears to be semantics, but what it means is that cap 'savings' don't accrue by having guys on IR.

Matty should definitely be more solid than Greene is currently. Would be great to add even a rusty Matty as your 6th defenseman.

So with this extra cap space(or overage) I'm surprised the Devils didn't bring up Bergfors. I guess the team is either really worried about his confidence right now or they're just planning to do it at a later date.

for the millionth time, this buys absolutely no room for Richard Matvichuk.

Ah, but if I remember right... the cap does not exist for the playoffs yes....

BUT.. you need to play a certain amount of games BEFORE then

so if they play Matvichuk 3-4 games while Gionta is out, they get around this... don't they?

Then you send Greene down and maybe all is good

Same reason Pelley has been getting these games, cause he looks likely for the playoff roster here

Ah, but if I remember right... the cap does not exist for the playoffs yes....

BUT.. you need to play a certain amount of games BEFORE then

so if they play Matvichuk 3-4 games while Gionta is out, they get around this... don't they?

Then you send Greene down and maybe all is good

Same reason Pelley has been getting these games, cause he looks likely for the playoff roster here

I think you only have to play 1 regular season game to be eligible for the playoffs. Is that right? :noclue:

Edited by devils26

The fact that we have been undermanned the past few games seems like an additional Lou strategy for Matvichuk

being undermanned did nothing for us whatsoever with regard to the cap. nothing.

Crasher, the problem is, to get Matvichuk back, they'd have to hold Gionta out until the playoffs begin. This just doesn't seem worth it for a 6th defender who hasn't played a game all year and has back problems. Quite frankly, I might rather have Dan McGillis up than Matvichuk.

They're not buying any space while Gionta is out, so they can't just send Greene down to get Matvichuk unless they send both Greene and Janssen down, de-IR Matvichuk, play a game without both - that might be what ends up happening. It really has nothing to do with Gionta.

If this is some ploy to bring Matty back (I have no problem with sending Greene and Cam down either to make it happen) I'd rather him get 3-5 games in at LEAST (maybe a Lowell condition stint too) for him to get his NHL Legs back... he's not played any hockey in almost a year now and tossing him into the sh!t now is just not the brightest of ideas.....

Ironically enough... not trading Hale might have helped with the Cap space too :lol:

Why send Greene down for Matvichuk? Greene's played a few games this season and has looked pretty good so far, he's young and his back is in fine working order.

Matvichuk is a relic, hasn't played once all season, and his back is a wreck.

A aging 6th blueliner is not really going to do much to improve a team.

Matty's solid defense, if he came back relatively fine, and ability to play the PK would be a welcome addition over Greene. I think Greene has an NHL future but right now he seems to be in the learning process for the system, a little tentative still, and gets beat fairly easily along the boards, which is normal for NHL rookies.

I don't want Matvichuk back in the lineup this season. He is going to be too rusty. Brad Lukowich has really stepped up his game and Greene has been playing ok as well. Im fine with having Rafi, Luko, White, Oduya, Martin and Greene. I don't think a rusty Matvichuk is going to be much better than Greene.

Matty's solid defense, if he came back relatively fine, and ability to play the PK would be a welcome addition over Greene. I think Greene has an NHL future but right now he seems to be in the learning process for the system, a little tentative still, and gets beat fairly easily along the boards, which is normal for NHL rookies.

We don't need someone who can play the PK. We've got guys who can do that - the 2nd PP is a little more important IMO, given the possible replacements for Greene on that front - and I think Julien and Lou are a little concerned with wearing Oduya out, the guy already takes a minor penalty a game.

Crasher, I agree - that's why I just don't think Matvichuk is coming back. It's not like Peter Forsberg coming back - it's a guy who wasn't even that good when he was healthy. A Lukowich-Matvichuk third pairing doesn't exactly make me feel safe either.

I think the PP when everyone is healthy has Eias, Langs, Raffy, and Martin at the points, not Greene. Rupp has shown he belongs on one of the PP units in front of the net, IMO. It looked like the Devils were going with those 4 at the point until Gionta re-hurt himself.

Oduya wasn't even playing much on the 2nd PP anyway. Luko and sometimes White were out there just as often. If you're worried about Oduya's stamina brining in a guy you can depend on for regular shifts like Matty is better than a guy that gets skipped for shifts sometimes.

I think the PP when everyone is healthy has Eias, Langs, Raffy, and Martin at the points, not Greene. Rupp has shown he belongs on one of the PP units in front of the net, IMO. It looked like the Devils were going with those 4 at the point until Gionta re-hurt himself.

Oduya wasn't even playing much on the 2nd PP anyway. Luko and sometimes White were out there just as often. If you're worried about Oduya's stamina brining in a guy you can depend on for regular shifts like Matty is better than a guy that gets skipped for shifts sometimes.

The PP when healthy is - Elias-Gomez-Gionta-Rafalski-Langenbrunner

But the 2nd unit is - Parise-Zajac-Brylin-Martin-Greene

Lou cited Greene's 2nd PP unit ability as the reason he was brought up and why Hale was dealt.

Again, Matvichuk also has questionable health and who says he will even be effective - he's old and slow. I wouldn't want him out there on the PK either, and while he's not likely to get outmuscled in the corners, his breakout passes will likely be worse than Greene's.

I think it's a moot point, as I don't see Lou activating Matvichuk - but who knows, he's surprised me quite a few times this season.