I Am Sorry I Feel This Way

SC Devs Fan

I am sorry... watching this Devils team play is as exciting as watching paint dry. I am an extreme hockey fan and what I see - no creativity, just counterpunching on other teams mistakes - makes for a boring game. We complain that the Devils aren't on ESPN or ABC but if you weren't a Devils fan there is no way watching a Devils game would make you a fan of hockey. I watched some of the Leafs-Wings and Stars-Sens last night and what I saw was a completely different product than we put on the ice. The complete lack of offensive creativity is shown on our PP; the reason it is so poor is that the other team, being shorthanded, ca't make mistakes in the neutral zone and lead to a chippy goal for us. Not to say that there aren't exciting plays in the game, as I am sure some of you will mention individual plays from last nights game, but overall this brand of hockey stinks. And I know we are winning with this system, but remember this - North Carolina used to win with the four corners and how exciting was that, and Ali beat Foreman with the rope-a-dope and how exciting was that? Just because we are winning doesn't make it right... if this is the way the NHL is headed then I hope I develop a fondness for arena football! What I would give to see some open ice and players skating like in the old days...

Do you want to win or do you want to be the Rangers? What you call boring, I call disciplined, EXCELLENT defense. They frustrate their opponents into submission and force them to make mistakes. It's a chess match, not a battle from Braveheart.

i'm liking what your saying there Risky

Do you want to win or do you want to be the Rangers? What you call boring, I call disciplined, EXCELLENT defense. They frustrate their opponents into submission and force them to make mistakes. It's a chess match, not a battle from Braveheart.

its true. Who cares how you do it. winning is the name of the game...everything else is just ......LOSING!!! and that sucks.

No, I don't want to be the Rangers (no one does!) but Western Conference teams show that you can win with skill not boredom. Maybe my problem is that I find chess boring... especially if I'm paying $75 to watch it.

$75?? where are you sitting? i just sent my playoff form in and its only costing me $35 a game.

unless its the finals i would never pay $75 for a regular season game.

[]

$75?? where are you sitting? i just sent my playoff form in and its only costing me $35 a game.

I only make it to two or three games a year and (thankfully) watch the rest on cable - when I am in town I usually scalp and try to get the best seats I can, was there for a game last Friday and paid $150 for two great seats down low; probably overpayed, but got them a week ahead of time na dseats were the best. Gotta treat myself when I am in town!

I paid $200 to see Game 4 of the SCF in 2001. :)

As far as those Western Conference teams, you're talking about Dallas, the Red Wings and the Divealanche, all of whom have much higher payrolls and much, much more talent than th Devils can put together. We can't afford to play games like they do. We play the system we can afford to play. And it works.

I'd have to agree on somethings with SC devil. Devil style hockey does get boring and tedious but thats just how they play. it works for them and they do win, but its not the most entertaining team to watch. even our break aways are boring because the devils cant do a move and get pass the goalie. Instead they shoot right at the middle of his padding and eventaully make a mediocre goalie look like a superstar. On powerplays or if they're losing, most of the guys dont even hustle to get a goal, instead they skate around behind brodeur and waste time. It does get frustrating to watch.

Although the devs are doing good, i dont know how they can get past a ruthless team like Toronto.

its tough to watch reg. season Devs games for three hours. I find myself more and more flipping the games on during commercials from other programs. Its like, OK they're still winning 1-0, I'll check back in 15 minutes. Then maybe I'll watch the last five or so minutes of the game. Its kind of like watching those Jets-Colts games from 10 years ago or Giants-Arizona games. (football fans know what I'm talking about)

That said, if they were losing, I probably wouldn't pay any attention.

BTW, playoff fever is starting to creep in. I'm feeling like its getting close.

LIDevsFan, I agree. I put the Devils in the corner in picture in picture (Thank God for technology!) and turn when goals happen after the first period unless its the five minutes a game they open it up. You are correct though; if they were losing I probably would never let them leave the corner of the screen they are banished too.

Let the playoffs begin!

Strange words from a Devils fan but you are allowed your Opinion.

They only part of there game that I am having trouble watching is the PP. I think opposing teams have little problem defending the dump&chase-never shoot-no creativity-no movement-version of our current power play.

:blink:

I am never bored watching the Devils play. And that's cause I'm invested in the guys. I like watching Stevenson out their battling and smashing guys as much as I love to see the puck go in the net. I love watching Nieds ride the same guy off the puck in that seemingly effortless way.

If you're bored, you're bored. I ain't bored.

In fact, when I watch other hockey, I'm more prone to get bored. I used to kick and claw for every bit of hockey I could get and cling to it. But now that I have Center Ice, well I don't care about things like the scoring race or watching whomever make a good save.

I guess I'm the opposite of ya, SC. ;)

Yeah..but looking at it this way I wish I was a little MORE bored watching them :lol: Get it? :) 'cause they're letting in too many goals :evil: that's funny right? :unsure::saddevil:

I HATE TIE GAMES! :evilcry:

You know...when I see posts like this i always think "hmm...slamming my head against the wall ... does that mean I'm BORED?" Sometimes i wonder if sometimes people confuse frustration with boredom - do you think that's a more apt description? Because boredom is more appathetic...like you wouldn't CARE to even post about being bored -- or about the Devils -- you'd you know...post about the Avs and have Avs stuff in your avatar and stuff like that (heeheehee :evil: )

I could not of said it any better. The Devils play Devils hockey. It's calculated, strategic and successful. I wouldn't have it any other way. :evil:

Every game has boring parts to it. I don't find the Devils any more boring than watching Colorado & Detroit play to a 1-0 game or a 3-1 game for that matter.

I do think the Devils 'frustrate'. But I don't think it's a lack of creativity. At times they are trying to be too creative (passing). Other times I am so damn frustrated that it seems like they are aiming at the goalie's crest.

Other times on the struggling PP, it'll seem like they pass & pass & for a second, there's an open shot, not taken, then the next shot gets blocked.

Anyway, you definitely are entitled to your opinion. I rarely spend more than the $20 seats & try to go to as many games as I can.

Anyway, Lou will make a move again to tweak this team for the playoffs. So the current group of guys won't be the exact playoff roster.

Ive said this a million times...

I love 1-0 games... I hate 8-7 games...

I like it when I see goaltenders do insane things, I like big hits, I like seeing defensive strategy like most Flyers/Devs games.... If you want goal-to-goal action, watch basketball. :)