Devils Just Launched their New Site

msweet

The great thing about the new site is the statistics and media are really accesssable.

You can get all the prospect data without haveing to loook through a load of other sites.

Excelent stuff.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

Ok wait im confused.. I go to newjerseydevils.com and its their old site.. i go to the link posted in this thread and its a different site.. :blink:

edit: oh BTW Chimiara - the main banner switches from Brodeur to Elias.. just refresh it if you got Marty

Edited by nmigliore

Guerin got traded in 97-98, Nemchinov arrived at the deadline in 98-99. But Nemchinov had been #13 elsewhere.

I don't recall #15 being assigned in camp when Maclean left, and it wasn't re-assigned the rest of that year IIRC.

also forgot that 22 was on kozlov and scott daniels (and ed ward i think but that's really irrelevant)

Is there a special reason Lou doesn't use #13, other than just superstition?

I miss having at least one guy with a high number..

Richer-44

Gilmour-93

Mogilny-89

I think Zubrus should go for the gold and take a number in the 80's or 90's

Is there a special reason Lou doesn't use #13, other than just superstition?

according to Lou it's a superstition from the old equipment manager and not his own - he's kept it as a tradition.

as for high numbers, don't bet on it. unless the guy's established that number elsewhere, he's not getting it here - weekes might get 80, but i'm not even too sure of that. there also seem to be less high numbers around in the league IMO.

High numbers started in the 70's. Esposito was traded to the Rangers after wearing #7 in Boston, but Gilbert had 7, so he took 77. Same with Ken Hodge, think he took 88. Then Gretzky had 14 with in Saulte Ste Marie because somone else already had 9. When he went to Edmonton in the WHA days someone else had 14, and someone had 9. So he decided to mimic Espo and took 99. Guys like Lemieux took 66 as a flip of Gretzky. Coffey did the same when he went from Edmonton to Pittsburgh and Lindros. Jagr's 68 is the year of an uprising against Communism in Czechoslovakia that his dad was a part of. A lot of the europeans took high numbers to honor the year they defected, i.e Petr Klima had 85. Bure wore 96 for a while, the year he became a US citizen. Mogilny had 89, the year he came to the NHL. You dont see it so much with the North Americans because when they are kids their uniforms come already made as a team set. Usually 1-20 or 1-30 depending on how many kids are on the team. Then, they simply get attached to the number. That is what happened to me. I was given 73 in 6th grade for football. Went to junior high and was able to order a jersey and decided to keep 73, same in HS. Went to college, was given 52 my freshman year, but changed to 73 for spring ball and on. Then, I quit football and that was it.

Edited by Matteau#32

For a long time, Matteau, there were players from North America getting high numbers - still are, actually - Ribiero had 71, Ryder 73, Comrie 89, Juneau 90, Latendresse 84, Smyth 94, Nash 61 etc. - for (apparently) no other reason but to have them.