NJ rock and rollers

Devs4LIFE

Hey anybody remember the New Jersey rock and rollers? The commercials used to be like "They roller blade on ice!" Anyways recently I've been searching for somewhere I could buy a jersey but I can't find anything, not a single thing! It's almost as if the team never existed. If anybody knows any information I would be very grateful.

I had season tickets for them for $55 their first season. They drew some pretty good crowds that year, upwards of 12,000 a couple times. Then they jacked ticket prices up and people stopped going. Anyway, I still have their yearbook, ticket stubs, and some autographs, including Manon Rheaume, but not much else. I think getting a jersey is gonna be a tall order. They were so hideous nobody bought them back then.

Don't think you'll be able to find one, I mean, I'd keep checking eBay but outside of that, I'm not so sure.

I had a professor who used to do radio commentary for the team, maybe he might have an idea. I could ask him if you'd like.

Did he work with Matt Loughlin?

I've mentioned this somewhere else on the board, but I'm not gonna find the link :lol:

I play with a guy who used to actually play for the Rockin' Rollers. His name is Joe Ondrosh, he still wears his Rockin' Rollers jersey to puck-shoots and some of our games. He's a real nice guy and loves talking about his time in the RHI. He also refs a lot of the games by me.

Sidebar: someone should change the thread title. It's not 'Rock-and-Rollers', it's 'Rockin Rollers' ;)

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I might check out that guy on ebay but I'm still open to ideas of where else to get them. I just think it might be fun to wear at open hockey or whenever I play roller hockey.

Edit: I found this website of team jerseys for anybody who's interested. I think they're cool as hell.

http://rhistats.tripod.com/jerseys.htm

Which league had the games on in the summer for roller hockey that was just during the summer? They use to show it on ESPN and i remember my brother and i watching it together.
Edited by Devs4LIFE

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I might check out that guy on ebay but I'm still open to ideas of where else to get them. I just think it might be fun to wear at open hockey or whenever I play roller hockey.

Edit: I found this website of team jerseys for anybody who's interested. I think they're cool as hell.

http://rhistats.tripod.com/jerseys.htm

You are thinking of Pro Beach Hockey (PBH) It's kind of dumb there is a half pipe behind each goal and if you score off of it you get 3 points. My athletic director/assistant hockey coach for high school used to play it.

Which league had the games on in the summer for roller hockey that was just during the summer? They use to show it on ESPN and i remember my brother and i watching it together.

I remember that, too. They played in Universal Studios-Orlando. Ron Duguay was the captain of one of the teams. IIRC, each team had a popular but non hall-of-fame former nhl'er.

I rememeber thinking this would actually take off being about 12 when it started and in 2 roller hockey leagues myself. I always though I could use being on the Rockin Rollers as a fallback job

what did they get paid anyway?

about 100-200 per game. A few friends of mine went to try-out for the LI Jawz (same league) but all but one left without suiting up. They had over 1,000 guys down to try-out and were charging $100/head. The one guy who stayed only stayed for 1 practice. He didn't think he'd make the team and then was told how they'd be on their own for food when on the road and very poor insurance. It was just after he graduated college, he had a job lined-up and didn't want to take any risks.

That was PBH - Pro Beach Hockey... I think at least, :lol:

Anyway, That league was CRAZY! They had the banked ramp behind the nets and 2 point goals and all that jazz. :wacko:

I saw some ludicrous goals in that league! If I can find any pictures I'll be sure to post them.

Edited by puckrock

You are thinking of Pro Beach Hockey (PBH) It's kind of dumb there is a half pipe behind each goal and if you score off of it you get 3 points. My athletic director/assistant hockey coach for high school used to play it.

Supposedly ESPN Classic has started showing the old games again. I don't know whether it's true, but that's what I heard on another board.