ALL HAIL CABLEVISION

HellOnICE

This excerpt from a great article on the Arena in today's ledger is stunning...and I'm wondering if it's accurate. If it is, then I love cablevision...

"Third, and perhaps most critical, Vanderbeek managed to get Cablevision into a bidding war with the Mets' new station, SNY, for rights to televise Devils games. Even though hockey draws notoriously low ratings, both entities needed winter programming for their sports networks -- a fact that Vanderbeek parlayed into a 20-year contract with Cablevision worth more than $500 million."

Read the article here

I would have preferred to see the Devils covered by SNY where the Devils would be the main focus in the winter rather than a team that comes somewhere way after the Knicks and Rangers. It annoys me to see Rangers greatest moments commercials during Devils games.

I don't know why you think that reflects well on Cablevision. It reflects well on Vanderbeek's business acumen to get the two channels to play off each other and drive up the price.

I am sure if the games were on SNY we would have been able to see a replay of last night's game. Something not available to us now. Every other local team, Rangers, Islanders, Rutgers football....hell even the soccer team got a replay of their Saturday game. Just not us.

I would have preferred to see the Devils covered by SNY where the Devils would be the main focus in the winter rather than a team that comes somewhere way after the Knicks and Rangers. It annoys me to see Rangers greatest moments commercials during Devils games.

I'd rather SNY they sell their HD feed to Directv and Cabelvision does not :saddevil:

This excerpt from a great article on the Arena in today's ledger is stunning...and I'm wondering if it's accurate. If it is, then I love cablevision...

"Third, and perhaps most critical, Vanderbeek managed to get Cablevision into a bidding war with the Mets' new station, SNY, for rights to televise Devils games. Even though hockey draws notoriously low ratings, both entities needed winter programming for their sports networks -- a fact that Vanderbeek parlayed into a 20-year contract with Cablevision worth more than $500 million."

Read the article here

Edit Title to ALL HAIL VANDERBEEK

I think this is a great negotiation for the owner, as long as FSNY can run Devils promotional programing on the Devils (as side from Pre/post game). I wouldn' t mind a Devils weekly show about upcoming opponents and the week in review with some former Devils as analysts (Driver, etc.).

MSG can be the Rangers network, FSNY can be the Devils.

I don't even know where the new york sports network is on my cable.

from what I got out of a verizon rep who got my phone call entirely by mistake, Comcast (Versus), Cablevision (FSNY/MSG) outright refuse to even negotiate price on their hd feeds. By law, they were required to "make available" the standard feeds - for a fee of course. But, HD is not regulated the same way, and since they are providing the SD feed, they are holding to the law and not refusing to offer the programming or holding onto it as proprietary.

btw, hockey in standard def just completely sucks. I wrote to bettman and others at NHL and told them how two team owners who's real interest is their cable holdings, are having a detrimental effect on the possible popularity of the nhl by denying viewers of anything NOT cable t.v. the HD feeds of all local hockey games.

of course, it will do nothing because bettman thinks he has the answers for everything.