Reason of bad attendance

DevilishFan30

The Devils and Islanders should be playing at 7:30. Gives people who are commuting to Manhattan an extra 1/2 hour to get to the game, which in most cases will mean the difference between getting there on time or not. I know they say they want to make it earlier for the kids, but a kid going to a 7pm game is going to be up later than usual anyway. The extra 1/2 hour is not going to stop parents from bringing their kids. For most parents, they are either willing to bring their kids on a school night, or they are not.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matteau is right, I think the 7pm initially was a good idea, but I left work at 5:20 yesterday and had a hard time getting there on time Friday night. I got there for opening faceoff. Mind you that extra halfhour would have increased my concessions purchase in the building, as I would have had time to eat. As would have all the people in the fire/ice lounges who spent the firs tperiod in the lounge.

If you work until 7 every night, you probably aren't going to be able to go to a game. If they move the games later, we'd lose 10 fans for every one that would start comming. Honestly, they could maybe move it until 730, but then people would be complaining about getting out late in the friendly confines of Newark. This is something we'll just have to deal with.

these games are way too early. i work until 7 every night there no way i can make it to newark for a 7 pm game

I think people just don't have the disposable cash for entertainment that they had 5 years ago. Besides that hockey has never been a big draw in October, so the numbers don't surprise me. On top of that the Devils came out of the gate a little slow. Now you can argue that we have had great teams before that did not draw, but this is a different location, and I think with a top team you would see different results than CAA.

Chris

Again, I find it amazing that as Devils fan's we are bemoaning the attendance in the new arena. New Jersey is at a geographic disadvantage in the "attendance wars". As I think someone stated before, if you're in South Jersey, you are most likely a Flyer fan, if you live in North Jersey, you are either a Rags, Isles or Dev's fan...if you like hockey at all.

If anybody thought The Rock was going to draw MSG numbers, you were mislead by all the promo videos. The Dev's will never draw like the Rangers because we are crammed in the middle of two huge markets...and that's OK. Yes, the prices could be lower and I completely agree that the games should start at 7:30, but the new arena can only do so much. The Dev's will be fine...the arena has an unlimited earning potential regardless of attendance. If one day we start consistantly drawing 8,000 a game, then I'll be concerned. 13K a game is just fine.

Also, those who say they built the Rock for the Devils are slightly off. They built the Rock for the city of Newark. Yes, the Devils are the flagship team and yes there's a ton of "Devils stuff" hanging around but don't think the team will be a fixture in New Jersey because of the arena. A basketball team could move into Newark very easily and do VERY well in that state of the art arena. Highly unlikely, but something to think about...

Edited by Bulletproof

I think its more a result of economic situations. The Devil ticket pricing is based on the Ranger pricing which is unrealistic. The majority of Ranger tickets are bought up by corporations (some estimates 75% of season tickets at MSG), NOT fans. Northern NJ does NOT have this type of business base, nor does it have the cache that New York City does---New Jersey is NOT a media market.

Middle class families just don't have the expendible income to afford these tickets.

I think its more a result of economic situations. The Devil ticket pricing is based on the Ranger pricing which is unrealistic. The majority of Ranger tickets are bought up by corporations (some estimates 75% of season tickets at MSG), NOT fans. Northern NJ does NOT have this type of business base, nor does it have the cache that New York City does---New Jersey is NOT a media market.

Middle class families just don't have the expendible income to afford these tickets.

:clap2:

Excellent point about coporate season tickets...explains why the Rangers can announce a sold out game when you can plainly tell the arena isn't full.

Isn't it also true that those corporate season ticket holders have access to every event that goes on at MSG? Rangers/Knicks/amazing concerts would definately outweigh Devs/Seton Hall/Ironmen/Bon Jovi if I were a corporation looking to impress my clientele.

They are trying to turn Newark into another Manhattan when Manhattan is 20 minutes away. Could happen but it's going to take some time...alot of time...

This is the first year I've ever had season tickets (could not afford them at the CAA) and the last thing I thought I would ever hear about this place is the constant bitching and moaning from people at the games. It's gotten to the point I don't even go outside between periods for a smoke anymore because all anyone does out there is complain. The seats are to small, they should have stayed at the CAA, someone leans forward I can't see anything and on and on and on. Some people are just unreal. It's a sporting event, what do they expect recliners for everyone with their own personal maid? If you think the crowds are bad now just wait if this team misses the playoffs for a few years.