WJC 2008

Jas0nMacIsaac

This is my favorite time of the year, when former Devil prospects like Gomez, Gionta, Parise and Vrana have all shown they can step up their games on the biggest occasions.

This year I thought that we would have nobody represent our team at the WJC since Russia decided not to invite Tulupov, Vasyunov and Zharkov.

It seems Matt Halischuk is going to be the only player to represent Canada, at the training camp so far he is one of those players who shot out of nowhere to make a name. There is only 1 intersquad game remaining so odds are he is going to wing with Stamkos.

Last Devil to play for Team Canada was Mike Van Ryan, who also captained the team.

I can't wait, the World Juniors is the best time of the year and gives me an excuse to wear team canada jerseys, hoodies and shirts throughout the entire tourney..everyday!

"gotta support the team"

Canada wins 5-0 over some team called salzberg...

I love the World Juniors, but damn, I'd have to be making 7 figures to afford tickets next year when it is here.

Anyhow, I watched the TSN segment last night about our two goaltenders, both of whom have been to the NHL (Bernier for the Kings and Mason for the Blue Jackets). Odd to see a guy who is Kings property say that he is a Habs fan and the Blue Jacket prospect saying he's a Leafs fan. :)

I saw that interview too, they were asking how exactly a Leafs fans and a Habs fan are able to room together...:P

Canada wins 5-0 over some team called salzberg...

It's called Salzburg. :rant:

You know the city where this guy called Mozart was born. :evil:

Did you never watch "The Sound of Music"? I always thought every American has seen this trash. At least every time I tell someone over here that I'm from Salzburg they start to talk about "Edelweiss" and the Trapps. :rofl:

Edited by WHL Rules

I'm not American? You would think someone with the name "WHL Rules" would know where Manitoba is...

Edited by annabelle

Yeah it is but I'm not American so....please don't call me "american"..no offense to all the Americans...

For those in the States the NHL Network will air the Medal round live in HD (probably a simulcast of the TSN feed).

Coverage on NHL Network in the U.S. gets underway on Wednesday, January 2nd with LIVE telecasts of the two quarterfinal games at 10:00 am ET/7:00 am PT and 2:00 pm ET/11:00 am PT. For the 2008 tournament, the second- and third-place teams from each of the two groups after the round-robin portion will play in the quarterfinals. The winners of each group after the round-robin games advance to the semifinals. The final four teams square off LIVE on NHL Network at 10:00 am ET/7:00 am PT and 2:00 pm ET/11:00 am PT on Friday, January 4th. The bronze medal game will be on the network LIVE at 10:00 am ET/7:00 am PT Saturday, January 5th, followed shortly by the Gold Medal game LIVE on NHL Network in the U.S. at 2:00 pm ET/11:00 am PT.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hock..._the_wjc_in_hd/

Steve Stamkos got 3 assists. He did look good out there.... it's no wonder they are expecting him to go #1 overall.

Tavares was basically sent over to play on the powerplay. And in international hockey, that's about 20 minutes a game. :P Both his goals were on the PP as was most of his ice time.

Giroux blatantly high sticked one of the Czech players leading Pierre McGuire to comment "Playing like that, he'll fit right in with the rest of the Flyers". :D

Pierre's annual man-crushes at these tournaments continues. One year it was Zach, another it was Dion Phaneuf, this year it's Brandon Sutter.

They did have a good Brent story. Brad Marchant is from the same village I am from (Hammonds Plains, Nova Scotia). Back in the so-called "Super Series" Brent benched Brad for game 7 for taking too many minor penalties and suspended him for Game 8 for being late for a team meeting. After the series Brent had a 1-on-1 postmortem with each player and he told Brad that he had the skills to make the NHL, just not the attitude. Brent told Brad that if he continued acting like he did during the Super Series, he wouldn't make Team Canada in this tournament. Brad took the warning to heart and has been behaving himself this season on and off the ice and thus not only did he make the team, he was named an alternate captain.

Tavares's goals were both pretty goals, Halischuk's was more of a Devils type goal.... goal-mouth scramble and hammering away at the puck until it crossed the line.

Edited by Don

Steve Stamkos got 3 assists. He did look good out there.... it's no wonder they are expecting him to go #1 overall.

Tavares was basically sent over to play on the powerplay. And in international hockey, that's about 20 minutes a game. :P Both his goals were on the PP as was most of his ice time.

Giroux blatantly high sticked one of the Czech players leading Pierre McGuire to comment "Playing like that, he'll fit right in with the rest of the Flyers". :D

Pierre's annual man-crushes at these tournaments continues. One year it was Zach, another it was Dion Phaneuf, this year it's Brandon Sutter.

They did have a good Brent story. Brad Marchant is from the same village I am from (Hammonds Plains, Nova Scotia). Back in the so-called "Super Series" Brent benched Brad for game 7 for taking too many minor penalties and suspended him for Game 8 for being late for a team meeting. After the series Brent had a 1-on-1 postmortem with each player and he told Brad that he had the skills to make the NHL, just not the attitude. Brent told Brad that if he continued acting like he did during the Super Series, he wouldn't make Team Canada in this tournament. Brad took the warning to heart and has been behaving himself this season on and off the ice and thus not only did he make the team, he was named an alternate captain.

Tavares's goals were both pretty goals, Halischuk's was more of a Devils type goal.... goal-mouth scramble and hammering away at the puck until it crossed the line.

Thanks for the incite Don i cant get the WJC over here.

Good to see Halischuk continuing he fine form this year. Even if the devils have only one prospect at the WJC its always good that he is one of the best.

I love the World Juniors, but damn, I'd have to be making 7 figures to afford tickets next year when it is here.

Anyhow, I watched the TSN segment last night about our two goaltenders, both of whom have been to the NHL (Bernier for the Kings and Mason for the Blue Jackets). Odd to see a guy who is Kings property say that he is a Habs fan and the Blue Jacket prospect saying he's a Leafs fan. :)

Ahh the old arena..remember sitting below those weird upper pieces that jutted wayyy out and you really thought it was going to fall on you? Or the crazy angle that the upper decks were on? I was always paranoid that if I tripped i would fall wayyy down right onto the ice...

I really wish I could catch these games but I can't find an online link or anything. Canada-Sweden sounds like a dandy, Canada was up 2-0 in the third, Sweden has now scored 3 straight goals. Still a couple of minutes left. Halischuk had an assist on the second Canada goal.

Update: Canada ties it up on a power play with under 4 minutes left. Apparently a weak call by the ref gave them the power play.

Update: All games can be watched here: http://www.channelsurfing.net/ Looks like Sweden took the lead on a Tobias Forsberg goal with 7 seconds left.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Canada/Sweden game was a good one..even though they ended up losing it when the Swedes scored with less than 30 seconds left:(

I didnt realise that the quallification for the 2009 WJC had already taken place.

Team GB had a disaster and ended up getting relegated out of Division 1 to Division 2. :evilcry:

Guess im going to have to wait another 3 years for another chance to see Team GB make it.

http://tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story/?ID=226251&hubname=

Team Canada coach Craig Hartsburg named Mason the starter for the rest of the tournament on Tuesday. The quarterfinal game can be seen live on TSN, TSN HD and TSN.ca Wednesday, at 9:30am et/6:30am pt.

Mason, made 15 saves in Canada's 4-1 win over Denmark on Monday. The 19-year old Mason had been alternating starts with Jonathan Bernier up until now.