Random Thoughts & Stuff

sammyk

Hmm you may have a harder time doing the Aikido actually. There is a lot more conditioning that goes into Aikido than Judo. Aikido also focus' a lot on proper breathing while fighting as to absorb strikes in order to counter.

It just sounds to me that your class is a little over the top. Like I said, people in the class should NOT be getting hurt. And he probably is blending the classes as Martial Arts are becoming much more popular with kids wanting to do MMA fighting and all of that jazz.

In all honesty, I don't think you are going to gain as much out of Aikido as you may think. Sure you'll learn a trick or two. But hearing about your injuries makes me want to say try something totally different. You don't want to wind up injuring yourself permanently.

For a big guy, maybe check out Silat Serak or Shotokahn karate.

http://www.youtube.com/user/karatefire

this guy has some pretty good Silat videos. We have some real big guys in my class. and they do it all fine.

Edited by Scottie2Hottie

I've looked into other disciplines but I'm not a fan of the kicking and punching. I tried out Kobudo a couple of weeks ago and although it is interesting when you come from Judo to a discipline that works with forms gets really trying. I like karate but I don't think I could do the same forms over and over again for an hour.

Like I said the thing that interests me the most is the instruction and actually performing an artform. If I can make it look beautiful then I'm satisfied.

I'm sure Aikido has it's share of high impact but I've observed some classes before and they do a lot of breathing and meditation which may help me. In Judo, the only kind of breathing exercise we get is someone coming up to you and telling you to control your breathing. It's hard to control your breathing when you don't know how and you only have about 80% ability to breathe through your nose.

Aikido was my first choice but I went to Judo because I didn't think Aikido was physical enough. Perhaps I was wrong.

Edited by CarpathianForest

I love the idea of Aikido, but it has always struck me as very 'big circle'. I think you would be better off with Hapkido over Aikido, because the movements are smaller and tighter. They are very similar in concept, but i think you'd be better served with Hapkido (or better - combat hapkido) if you want the the Aikido ideal of using the opponents force against him. It seems much more efficient to me.

If you are anywhere near Master Brian McCann's school in central Jersey, check it out.

That is true about Aikido, but it is true about Hapkido as well. The styles are very similar, but where Aikido is a 'big circle' movement style, hapkido is a 'small circle' movement style. Both are redirections of oncoming force at their core, with other stuff thrown in ;) Try and find a local hapkido school - you may be able to find someone on the martialtalk.com forums who is familiar with one as well if you can't find one. :) Check out a class, your judo knowledge will help you as there is a lot of similarity there as well.

Jim is right. I never even thought about Hapkido. Check that one out. The better you can do Hapkido, the better you would be able to do Aikido.

Breathing exercises are VERY important in any martial art so I'm kind of stunned that they tell you that about your breathing in your school. I understand you predicament about your breathing, but there are many different kinds of breathing (as odd as that may sound)

But yeah I agree with Jim, check out Hapkido first.

This place teaches Combat Hapkido in your neck of the woods, and seems worth checking out if it's close by : http://www.champion-tkd.com/

I've done a few combat hapkido seminars over the last few years, and if i could get to a school on a regular basis it would definitely be my primary style.

Thanks for the input, Guys. I went to Judo last night. My Sensei was out sick so we had a couple of other black belts teaching. They're more instructor over competitor types so it was pretty cool. I could't do any ne waza randori because of my shoulder. Judo is really kind of my thing. I have a love/hate relationship with it. What is it Al Pacino said, "Every time I think I'm out tthey pull me back in?"

Why don't you try yoga? I love my yoga class. The dude that teaches studied kinesiology and you can seriously tell. Seriously -- just by listening to what he says you're doing all of this crazy stuff. It's particularly fun for me because I have no idea about yoga poses and stuff so I have no idea what the heck they're talking about when everyone groans when he says we're going to work on our blahblahayasavustry -- I just do what I'm told and I'm in some back bend or hand stand - massively fun!!! If ha had just said get into a back bend I'd have died. So fun! IT'S KILLER! You stay in these positions for ages... did you know that if you just hang out energetically on your hands and knees like a dog for long enough you seriously think your arms are going to fall off and you start shaking all over. and in all honesty -- you seriously come out of class high. I KID YOU NOT! They ain't burning nothing either.

ANyhow -- as with all things I think you need to have the right teacher or place of study. Don't give up any art form until you've gotten several takes on it, you know? Maybe it's not a new martial art you need but a new place to study - not just a different teacher in the same place, because you want to always have a productive class -- not just depend on one teacher -- or dojo or whatever. I know you all have pretty much kind of said that -- but I thought I'd just re-state it.

I tried Tai Chi. It was okay. My Sister has actually started Kung Fu San Soo. She's been afraid to participate in the class so she's been taking private lessons. She has social anxiety disorder. I told her I would participate in the class tomorrow if she does too. I told her if I like it I'll join and split my time between that and Judo.

The only thing that will honestly help with breathing is something that you have ULTRA results -- you have to play an instrument! Maybe something as horrible as a tin whistle where you HAVE to control your breathing or sound like sh!t. You need to FEEL what it's like to breath. I'm all about the breath --

who needs to pay for yoga class? its on basic cable every morning at like 6 :-p

Wii has yoga too! But the classmates could be a draw. :evil:

NEW SHIRTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be looking out for it!!

How did he get stuck in your feeder? I hope you got rid of the feeder poor little baby.

Screw that! Did you cook the bird for dinner and replace the bait??