Random Thoughts & Stuff

sammyk

Hell yeah you do!!

Sure Sure ! Cupcake throws two pucks into the net and here she comes out of the woodwork!!

Well, heres hoping Clarkson goes on a scoring streak!!!

:evil:

HAHAHAHA! I occasionally lurk on Andrew's username just to see what's going on. I haven't been on my own computer in a while. Work and doctors have been taking up any free time I do have when I'm not sleeping. Plus the cold weather reeks havoc on my Lupus making me incapable of typing or moving my hands for that matter.

I should be at the skate night mingling with my Cupcake :( but we didn't get to go this year since Andrew's aunt gave up her Club Seats. WAAAAAHHHH NO PICTURE FOR THE COLLECTION!!! :evilcry:

I decided to check my e-mail one last time before I went to bed, and they sent one an hour ago...all of a sudden they want us there in between 8:30-9 instead of the 9:30-10 they had on their website for the longest time. I wouldn't really care except that just means I have to be up even earlier to make the 80 minute drive. :doh1:

Fortunately, my earliest class is 11 so my commute won't be that bad when I start the semester.

You're not living on/close to campus? it's right in my home town, and it seems like a very solid majority of their students either live on campus or in west long branch. I live literally 3 streets down from the university

Nah, right now I'm kind of in limbo since there is a chance I may be moving down there within the next year or two. I also had to quit my job to go back and I have to find another one so that will also impact what I end up doing. Honestly though I don't mind the drive if it is to get down there by 11...to get there around 9 for someone who struggles with mornings like me isn't my favorite thing haha. I already got my Red Bull ready to go!

I start my spring semester at Miami next tuesday, nervous but excited.

Classes start tomorrow for us, and so does rush. Surprisingly, I'm not nervous about either. I had a hell of a time getting down here today, though. Originally, I had an 815 AM flight to Charlotte, but I got a call from US Airways at 9:30 last night telling me that flight was canceled. After an hour on hold without getting through, my dad said "fvck it, we're driving." So we put my stuff in his car, drove 3 hours, found a motel, then finished driving to North Carolina. Now I'm at school and my dad's stuck at a motel in Pennsylvania because the roads were too treacherous for him to keep driving.

In summary, I have the greatest father ever.

Hey now! It's a LAZY S not a lisp!!

Maybe I should be keeper of Stevens' lazy s... ^_^

Do you LIVE in Left Field or do you just pass thru there when you are about to say something? :blink:

well I just notice cupcake is keeper of Clarkson's lis...:o LAZY ess <_<

I was mentioned twice on Puck Daddy Radio today. I'm now a total celebrity and sh!t.

I wasn't paying attention --- so, what for?

Oh and hey -- I'm playing angry birds -- and now when I'm stacking wood I keep thinking about how a bird could or couldn't knock it down :rolleyes:

Edited by Pepperkorn

I wasn't paying attention --- so, what for?

Oh and hey -- I'm playing angry birds -- and now when I'm stacking wood I keep thinking about how a bird could or couldn't knock it down :rolleyes:

That damned game is such a drain on my iPhone battery. It's why my phone can't last on a charge to the end of the day. Friggin' thing's like crack.

My bossy husband always says "What are you doing? Put that down - read a book! You're accomplishing nothing!!" he's ALWAYS bossing me around like that -- I HATE it! It's MY DOWNTIME! Grrrrr....

and this weekend I have to work so he has to hang with Rebecca -- he's all grumpy because he can't go hunting. Infuriates me how his hobbies are ALWAYS first. Hunting - it's a priority because he can't waste all that money he spent on his license -- but my pre-paid yoga -- well... there are other things I have to do so... he spent money on his hunt club so he's got to bring in Pheasant. he has to go chop wood on our hill :blahblah: he HAS to do everything while I have other responsibilities it's not all fun fun fun :argh:

He does have a lisp and I don't care what anyone says... hahahaa.

OH, I'm slightly intoxicated and we have a danceparty going on in the basement right now.... I'm waiting for a disc to burn so I can continue dancing :D

Hey guys I'm seriously considering leaving Judo for Aikido. I've been injured countless times and it's really taking it's toll. Plus I'm more groomed to be an instructor over a competitor. My Sensei has decided this year to really concentrate on competition and is really riding everyone hard. I still like Judo but it's getting awfully close to being not fun anymore. What are your thoughts?

Actually the two are quite similar. They both work on using the other persons momentum against them. Aikido is a lot more fancy about it though, and I'm sorry to say but you will probably sustain the same injuries you are facing in Judo. I have studied a bunch of different martial arts including Judo, Aikido, Silat Serak, and Muay Thai.

You will find a lot of what they will teach you in Aikido are exactly the same as some of the things you learned in Judo, but they have different names haha.

If you want an edge in competition, study a range of things. For example, Silat taught me to strike in close, and muay thai taught me to fight better at a distance.

What kind of injuries are you sustaining? Joint injuries? Maybe try some Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for some great countering techniques for the ground work.

I'm not really interested in the competition side of things. If anything I want to be an instructor. That's what has always attracted me to Aikido is the non-competitive nature of it. Our dojo is headed in the direction that everything that's taught is for competitive purposes.

My injuries: I hurt my lower back, strained the tendons inside and outside my right elbow, sprained the joints in both big toes, I can pop all my fingers now. Currently I'm nursing a rotator cuff injury.

I've been really frustrated lately. I got skipped from orange to green just because of my knowledge and dedication but I feel it's become a big burden. We've been doing a lot of uchi komis(fit-ins) to start class and I get stuck with our star competitor. He throws me up and down the mat and to be honest getting thrown by a talented black belt at a hundred miles per hour can be exhausting. So when it's my turn my throws look like $hit cause I've been mashed into the tatami like 20 times and my Sensei criticizes my throws. On Monday we were doing koshi guruma which is one of my favorite techniques but I was exhausted from my partner's speed and taking so many falls. When I got down to the end of the tatami I applied my technique and fell right on my knees in front of my Sensei and he got pretty upset. I like to do my uchi komis with a bit more of a slower pace so I can break the technique down in my head.

My groundwork is good, but I hate groundwork. Although I'm supposed to be sitting out because of my shoulder I participated anyway because my Sensei gives me dirty looks if I don't. So this new SanDan tried to show my partner an armbar from tata shiho gatame. He didn't know I had an injury so I started tapping him vigorously before he could apply the technique. He stopped and I got criticized for not yelling mattei even though I was tapping him like a madman. Then I was just frustrated so I started choking all my groundwork partners out with a fury, just letting out my anger.

By the end of the night we were doing standing randori and I just couldn't compete. When I got paired up I would just take the fall no questions. I had one counter throw but by then I was just gassed.

It's been like this since I became sankyo in December.

Man it sounds like your Sensei isn't exactly a class act. He might know what he is doing but if hes allowing people to get injured or giving dirty looks at you for something you can't really help then I honestly suggest you get out of there anyways. I mean, part of martial arts is being able to show restraint, too.

Do you hate ground work because it isn't your strong suit? If that is the case it should drive you to perfect it.

I think its great you are trying to branch out to other martial arts, especially if you want to become an instructor some day (knowledge of any style, even a little bit is great). And it is incredibly unfortunate that everything is heading towards competition, because it drives students to go more 'all out' in their training. That is what causes injuries.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? and what do you do as far as conditioning and endurance training?

Edited by Scottie2Hottie

My Sensei has been doing judo for 47 years and he competes so he's driven by competition. He's a good guy and all but I also feel like I'm copping out when I can't participate in certain things due to injury. You know lately he's been very hard on everyone to get better. He does have competitors' classes but I think he's starting to blend the two.

I'm actually quite good at ne waza. I don't use too much strength and I tend to use strategy over muscle. I just don't care for it that much.

I'm 33. I'm actually in college and working full time so I don't have much time for conditioning. I care about making judo beautiful, not killing people on the mat so I don't go to the gym or anything. I'm also an ex-smoker of 14 years, I have sleep apnea and a partially collapsed sinus cavity so it's a miracle that I can keep up normally. I could proabably stand to lose another 15 pounds but I like the idea that I'm a big guy. That way people get the idea that I'm all about power when I'm really not.