Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

And with the Barclays Center breaking ground I just dont see the point of having the Nets play at the Pru for two years.

Some may say it will lead to more businesses popping up around the area, but how is that so? I dont see some businessman opening up a restaurant to cater to the influx of nets fans when he knows theyre leaving in two years. Its pointless. The only positive i see is that it might bring in some folks who havent been to the pru before. But is it worth it to have the nets?

The nets want nothing to do with new jersey and have screwed things over for so many people in this state for years. Why should we bail them out? let them rot in Izod... Plus they really really suck!

Edited by devlman

Booker has pretty much come right out and said that this isn't so much about the Nets as much as it's about Newark proving it's an NBA-caliber city. Oklahoma City had a similar situation where they were a temporary home, and now they have the Sonics ... er, Thunder.

Booker has pretty much come right out and said that this isn't so much about the Nets as much as it's about Newark proving it's an NBA-caliber city. Oklahoma City had a similar situation where they were a temporary home, and now they have the Sonics ... er, Thunder.

Yeah but waiting for a franchise to relocate here could take a decade, if it ever happened.

Yeah but waiting for a franchise to relocate here could take a decade, if it ever happened.

Yep. But having the Nets for two years is better than having them for none from a Prudential Center/Devils/Newark business standpoint, and getting two years as an audition gives Newark a better chance of attracting a team than no years. Neither of these, in my eyes at least, represent gigantic, monumental positives (like you've mentioned, businesses aren't going to invest in something only being here for two years, and there's no guarantee an NBA team would want to come to Newark no matter how well these next two years go), but it's definitely better than nothing.

Cautious optimism.

Nets leaving is one more dagger in the IZOD center. If IZOD closes, hopefully the Prudential Center works out a deal with Live Nation and we can finally get some real concerts at the Rock. Those extra concerts won't equal the number of dates the Nets would have but, it would be 15-20 more dates that have close to capacity crowds. That would be great news for Newark.

Yep. But having the Nets for two years is better than having them for none from a Prudential Center/Devils/Newark business standpoint, and getting two years as an audition gives Newark a better chance of attracting a team than no years. Neither of these, in my eyes at least, represent gigantic, monumental positives (like you've mentioned, businesses aren't going to invest in something only being here for two years, and there's no guarantee an NBA team would want to come to Newark no matter how well these next two years go), but it's definitely better than nothing.

Cautious optimism.

This is true. Just from my personal emotions though i dont see it as worth it to bail out the Nets. I want to see that wanna-be ny franchise fail.

Nets leaving is one more dagger in the IZOD center. If IZOD closes, hopefully the Prudential Center works out a deal with Live Nation and we can finally get some real concerts at the Rock. Those extra concerts won't equal the number of dates the Nets would have but, it would be 15-20 more dates that have close to capacity crowds. That would be great news for Newark.

If this turns out to be the case then great, but i remember reading a while back that part of NJSEA letting the Nets go was for more concerts at Izod. That proposal couldve been scrapped in the recent negotiations though.

The Record: Forget the Nets, go Grizzlies?

What matters is not that the Nets are leaving New Jersey, but rather whether a new NBA team may come to New Jersey.

The Christie administration brokered, if not a truce, at least a time-out, in the "arena wars" between the Izod Center in the Meadowlands and the Prudential Center in Newark. The Nets are leaving Izod for Prudential for the next two years. If there are construction delays at their new Brooklyn home, Prudential may get a third season.

What New Jersey gets is a two- to three-year audition for acquiring a new NBA team. The Nets have agreed to not block another NBA team from replacing them in New Jersey. This represents one of the smarter deals the state has made with a professional sports franchise.

Can this area even support 3 NBA teams? It barely supports 1 as is.

It supports three hockey teams. Kind of. And basketball is way bigger in NYC and Newark than hockey is.

Not saying it would definitely work. But an argument could be made.

I don't know what to say, that's a pretty well balanced arguement from a Paper that has never hidden it's pro bergen county stance. Honestly, I still think a Nascar NJ themed entertainment complex would be pretty cool. How about a Race themed concept to tie in the horse tracks. Racing and gambling complex?

Looks like some work has begun on the building on Edison across from Devils Den next to Champ Plaza. The small garage adjacent to it has been torn down and the old windows have been torn out.

I don't know what to say, that's a pretty well balanced arguement from a Paper that has never hidden it's pro bergen county stance. Honestly, I still think a Nascar NJ themed entertainment complex would be pretty cool. How about a Race themed concept to tie in the horse tracks. Racing and gambling complex?

LMAO!! That is too funny!

The former Bergen County Evening Record, now just The Record (or The Rag to so many), may be pro Bergen County but is definitely NOT pro New Jersey professional sports teams. The overwhelming majority of their sports reporters and editors are a third rate collection of frustrated wanna-be New York City journalists. The Record has NEVER supported neither the Devils nor the Nets. Even while they both not only played in Bergen County but bore the New Jersey name, unlike the Giants, Jets or Red Bulls.

The Record has been, is currently and will continue to always be, the same as it has been......a joke.

LMAO!! That is too funny!

The former Bergen County Evening Record, now just The Record (or The Rag to so many), may be pro Bergen County but is definitely NOT pro New Jersey professional sports teams. The overwhelming majority of their sports reporters and editors are a third rate collection of frustrated wanna-be New York City journalists. The Record has NEVER supported neither the Devils nor the Nets. Even while they both not only played in Bergen County but bore the New Jersey name, unlike the Giants, Jets or Red Bulls.

The Record has been, is currently and will continue to always be, the same as it has been......a joke.

Except for TG, of course

smilydev.gif

Actually, as a longtime reader of The Record, I partially agree with your opinion. I do believe that many of that newspaper's sportswriters are thrilled to be covering New York teams like the Giants, Jets and even the Red Bulls. I guess they feel that it makes their job more prestigious if the teams keep their New York names. And while there was a brief time in the early 2000s when The Record was giving the Devils and Nets top priority in relation to the Rangers and Knicks, sadly the newspaper has gone back to giving those New York teams equal billing, which was the case in the past anyway. It's very disappointing.

However, to give credit where credit is due, throughout the years, for the most part, I think The Record has done a pretty decent job of covering both the Devils and Nets, very comparable to the Star-Ledger. The paper has a daily article on both N.J. teams, even on off-days. And during many of both N.J. teams' playoff runs -- such as the Devils' deep playoff runs in 2000 and 2001 -- The Record includes excellent writeups, including huge color photos plastered across the front of the Sports section after each game.

Edited by 95Crash

For the first time in more than 40 years, an entire calendar month has come and gone without a homicide in the state’s largest city.

It's been 32 days since a homicide took place in Newark, marking the first time there has been a slay-free calendar month in the city since 1966.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/04/no_homocides_in_newark_for_one.html

ALRIGHT! We're getting there! :cheers:

Yea, nj.com attracts the most vile people this state has to offer.

I am always torn between the hate you see there or the hate on www.newarkspeaks.com where the political flunkies hang out. Either way the city is doing better each day and as more economic development happens better results will follow. I personally would love to have the following: more light/heavy rail options, a convention center, a baseball team and a basketball team...hey it isn't too early or Christmas wishes is it?

I am always torn between the hate you see there or the hate on www.newarkspeaks.com where the political flunkies hang out. Either way the city is doing better each day and as more economic development happens better results will follow. I personally would love to have the following: more light/heavy rail options, a convention center, a baseball team and a basketball team...hey it isn't too early or Christmas wishes is it?

And a football team too

cool.gif