Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

People may laugh at indoor lacrosse, but I had a good time going to Storm games before Jayson Williams killed that guy and the team bolted to Anaheim. IF they market it properly, they could have some fairly decent crowds come out to the games. If I remember correctly, they drew between 5-10K at the Meadowlands most nights.

And why did they black out the Devil logo on the corner of Mulberry? The blue and white Prudential symbol is still there.

My guess would be that they are going to rip out the black top thats there and put new paving down and Lou thought that it would be sacrelige for them to tear the Devils logo out with a bulldozer? :noclue::koolaid:

The New York Titans indoor lacrosse team is going to play some of their home games at The Rock this year with the rest being at MSG. nj.com

Here's the team's website. They should change that banner along the top to 'rockin' the rock' since more of their games will be in Newark than in NYC. NY Titans

Ugh, now we are going to have another New York team playing "home" games in New Jersey?

I thought it was pretty cool that the Rock was home to strictly Jersey teams.

Just thinking here, since now The Rock is sharing a team with MSG, does that mean that starting this summer while MSG is being renovated, that the Liberty have a better chance of moving to Newark for the next three years? The renovation there will be done over the next three summers and they will have nowhere to play. They could also play at Radio City (owned by Dolan) like they did in 2004, Nassau, or Continenal.

Edit: Just looked it up, the renovation has been delayed. So back to the original question; whenever the Liberty are displaced by the renovation, do you think that the chances are better of them playing in Newark now that the Titans playing there?

Edited by The Rock 07

Just thinking here, since now The Rock is sharing a team with MSG, does that mean that starting this summer while MSG is being renovated, that the Liberty have a better chance of moving to Newark for the next three years? The renovation there will be done over the next three summers and they will have nowhere to play. They could also play at Radio City (owned by Dolan) like they did in 2004, Nassau, or Continenal.

Edit: Just looked it up, the renovation has been delayed. So back to the original question; whenever the Liberty are displaced by the renovation, do you think that the chances are better of them playing in Newark now that the Titans playing there?

Part of me wants to say no, that they'll just play at Radio City because of prior connection there...but the more I think about it, the more I think they could be really successful in Newark. And the name and everything connects to Newark as well as New York anyways, so it's not even an awkward kind of thing a la New York Titans in the middle of New Jersey...

I'd be all for it, personally. Not that that means a whole lot, but still.

New Restaurant on Halsey....

I don't know how far people are willing to walk but across the street from Killkennys a new bar oppened up. www.nicksinnewark.com

The renovation was done really well so stop in a take a look.

Hey thanks for posting that! I'll have to check it out.

Hey thiswontwork,

On Ledger Live, they were talking about the recent disputes between the Devils and Newark and they said that one of the things that is being disputed is a community center on Edison Place that was supposed to go in the building where the Kabalash grocery store was(the building to the right of Brick City B&G). Have you heard anything about what they want to do with the two buildings besides the Isley Building on Edison? It sure seems that the building is too valuable real estate for a community center.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an article on the new apartment tower that they want to put next to NJPAC. In this article, they are saying that the building will be 40 stories tall which is taller than what they were saying last year. The article says that they are in the normal planning stages and they are unaffected by the current economy. Article

Here's an article on the new apartment tower that they want to put next to NJPAC. In this article, they are saying that the building will be 40 stories tall which is taller than what they were saying last year. The article says that they are in the normal planning stages and they are unaffected by the current economy. Article

Rock, what's really cool is that this project is really the epicenter of the big projects going on downtown over the next 5-10 years. Right around the corner from the NJPAC is Shaq's project and if your a dreamer the Hayne's Griffith building (which Cogswell is languishing on) is right at the end of center street. If you throw in the Mullberry street promenade (in it's revised form), the work on Edison and Market and Edison planned hotel and children's museum you can have something special. I think my huge concern right now is the lack of projects in the construction stage, leaving nothing on the horrizon for at least 2 years.

Rock, what's really cool is that this project is really the epicenter of the big projects going on downtown over the next 5-10 years. Right around the corner from the NJPAC is Shaq's project and if your a dreamer the Hayne's Griffith building (which Cogswell is languishing on) is right at the end of center street. If you throw in the Mullberry street promenade (in it's revised form), the work on Edison and Market and Edison planned hotel and children's museum you can have something special. I think my huge concern right now is the lack of projects in the construction stage, leaving nothing on the horrizon for at least 2 years.

Now, I haven't seen any plans for the revised Mulberry Street promenade, do you have any details on that? And have you heard anything about Cogswell's plan to renovate Military Park because I haven't heard anything about it since last year?

Here's a look into Brick City Bar and Grill from last Friday.

IMG_1548.jpg

The mysterious painted over Devils logo.

IMG_1501.jpg

And, thiswontwork, is this the building on Market, directly next to the entry plaza, that you said was going to be renovated by the people who did the Brick City Bar and Grill building?

IMG_1527.jpg

Rock, the first two buildings on market are owned by that developer and he has gutted most of them. The hardware store is out at the end of the year. I actually spoke with the owner the other day and if he has his way he would either get a bank or a restaurant in. I can only hope that the tennants are as forward thinking as Brick City and Arena bar and willing to put that sort of money into it.

As for Mullberry, I haven't followed up on it in a while, I will see if the building department is nice to me next week :whistling:

BTW, the plaza is owned by the NHA (the co-owners of the arena) and I can't help but wonder if the logo getting painted over had something to do with them not paying the rent.