Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

I was just looking around for anything on that Mulberry Street Promenade and I found this concept from the same architect as the Mulberry Street Promenade for a waterfront redevelopment in Newark. I don't know if this is old or a current concept but it looks pretty cool.

Anelessen

Edited by The Rock 07

Rock, the first two buildings on market are owned by that developer and he has gutted most of them. The hardware store is out at the end of the year. I actually spoke with the owner the other day and if he has his way he would either get a bank or a restaurant in. I can only hope that the tennants are as forward thinking as Brick City and Arena bar and willing to put that sort of money into it.

As for Mullberry, I haven't followed up on it in a while, I will see if the building department is nice to me next week :whistling:

BTW, the plaza is owned by the NHA (the co-owners of the arena) and I can't help but wonder if the logo getting painted over had something to do with them not paying the rent.

Thiswontwork, by the first two buildings do you mean the brick one that is shown above and the short one next to it, or the brick one and the taller one with the pizza place on the bottom that's to the right of the short building?

That's an interesting thought on the NHA and the plaza. Maybe they NHA knows what the current status on the entry plaza is and what else is going to be there besides the statue.

But the thing I am most curious about is the status on the train station along Broad Street that is supposed to become an entrance to the arena. I think that it would be really unique if they actually do make it an entrance.

Edited by The Rock 07

Here's an article on the 60 Park Place Grill that opened up recently in Newark. However, the most interesting part of the article, for me at least, was the last paragraph. In there, it talks about a new steakhouse "City Chop House" that will be opening up on Commerce Street in the spring. It doesn't say much other than that it will be upscale and that it will be owned by the owner of Scully's and Richard Codey.

nj.com

Edit: I guess that this is the steakhouse that I mentioned earlier in the thread at post #88.

Edited by The Rock 07

As for the walkway over 21 thats a mess, the city, state and NJ transit would have to fund and I just don't see it happening in the near future. :(

It isn't needed. The Gateway is already useful. Just focus instead on the hotels, retail, etc. rather than some unnecessary bridge.

It isn't needed. The Gateway is already useful. Just focus instead on the hotels, retail, etc. rather than some unnecessary bridge.

I think that they should just build the Triangle Park on its own and use the money that they would have used for the Ironbound Bridge for new buildings. And if later on, they somehow get the money for the bridge, build it. But for now, build the park and get some TALL buildings around it and that would be more than satisfactory.

Where exactly is this ironbound bridge supposed to be, if it ever happens?

Alright, y'know the old train tressle that goes over 21 at the back of the Triangle Park parking lot? They were going to rehab it and attatch it to the train platform at Penn and have that be the entry way to Triangle Park. So when you would walk off the train, you would walk through Triangle Park to get to the arena.

Alright, y'know the old train tressle that goes over 21 at the back of the Triangle Park parking lot? They were going to rehab it and attatch it to the train platform at Penn and have that be the entry way to Triangle Park. So when you would walk off the train, you would walk through Triangle Park to get to the arena.

Oh OK, thanks. I agree with you and M4L that it really isn't necessary right now. Gateway gets the job done.

Can we all agree that Triangle Park is a lousy name for the park? I'm pretty sure its just a placeholder name like "Newark Arena" was for the building. I propose that they rename it Chambers Park after Ray Chambers, the guy who truly started this whole movement of bringing the Devils (with the Nets) to Newark. I know he wasn't exactly the most popular part-owner in our history, but what he started eventually translated into where we are now.

Can we all agree that Triangle Park is a lousy name for the park? I'm pretty sure its just a placeholder name like "Newark Arena" was for the building. I propose that they rename it Chambers Park after Ray Chambers, the guy who truly started this whole movement of bringing the Devils (with the Nets) to Newark. I know he wasn't exactly the most popular part-owner in our history, but what he started eventually translated into where we are now.

Well Triangle park like the entrance plaza is the NHA's subdivision for the arena's baby, so once they can secure city/state funding that will happen. As for the buildings around it on the north side is the building currently occupied by Iron Mountain Documents Storage (the large cement sided one). This is the one that the owner has been talking about placing the childrens museum inside of. Next to that is where Edison had planned for their hotel which is in the financing/approval stage. On the south side, you have two lots, which I'm a bit confused on in terms of ownership. I know south of them (the south side of lafayette) is where the "mullberry st promenade" developer was working.

Chambers, Shmambers. If you're going to name the park after a former Devils owner, it's got to be McMullen Park. No McMullen, no Devils. Period.

Only one slight problem with that: McMullen for all the fact that he brought the team to New Jersey, was dead set against Newark as site for the Arena. In fact, had he not held out for as long as he did with regards to selling the team so they could be moved there, we probably would've already had an arena there 4 years earlier with both teams playing there. Chambers, for all that he wasn't the most popular owner we've ever had, at the very least is an important figure to BOTH the Devils and Newark. Triangle Park isn't just a part of the Arena, its also a part of the city around it.

Yeah, I remember McMullen being dead set on Hoboken as the site for the new barn.

Either way, it would be nice if the team did something to memorialize the man. Maybe an Art Rooney-esque statue outside the arena?

Yeah, that would be very nice. When they get a bar or something in the upper deck, they should name it McMullen's then have a plaque on the wall talking about him.

Yeah, I remember McMullen being dead set on Hoboken as the site for the new barn.

That would have been a spectacular site, but it would have focused on New York, not New Jersey and it would have felt like we were mooching off of NY.

Yeah, that would be very nice. When they get a bar or something in the upper deck, they should name it McMullen's then have a plaque on the wall talking about him.

Maybe in the mysterious open space behind 225? Or in that massive wasted space upstairs behind the big outdoor video screen?

That would have been a spectacular site, but it would have focused on New York, not New Jersey and it would have felt like we were mooching off of NY.

Same feeling, Great place, but too close to New York. I personally like Hoboken more than Manhattan. Its cleaner, there's a nice crowd there, and their are a lot of places to eat/drink. But the Path trains would be filled with Rag fans on Dev-Rag game days. Anyway, Newark is actually very nice, a misconception by those who haven't been to the arena yet. I can't wait to go back and see a few more games.

Edited by The Facepainter

The Hoboken-Newark argument has raged off and on for over ten years now. I think its safe to say at this point that when all factors were considered (NJ-identity, driving options, mass transit options, parking options, etc.) that Newark has won this battle. In any event, at this point I would think the point to be moot.

Not to sound pissy, but I've kinda spent a decade arguing this point.

The Hoboken-Newark argument has raged off and on for over ten years now. I think its safe to say at this point that when all factors were considered (NJ-identity, driving options, mass transit options, parking options, etc.) that Newark has won this battle. In any event, at this point I would think the point to be moot.

Not to sound pissy, but I've kinda spent a decade arguing this point.

And five years ago, I'd have been arguing for Hoboken as passionately as you for Newark. I love Hoboken as a city, but I'm growing to love almost as much, and it's only been slightly more than a year...