Fix the playoff system!!!

Z-Man

If the season ended today, Washington (9th in the East with 59 points) would be the 3rd seed in the playoffs by winning the South-Least division.

I always hated giving a top 3 seed to a division winner regardless of points, but a team that DOESN'T FINISH IN THE TOP 8 doesn't even deserve to be in the playoffs, much less a #3 seed.

Rk Eastern Conference GP PTS

1 Ottawa Senators 56 72

2 Pittsburgh Penguins 56 69

3 Montr

If the season ended today, Washington (9th in the East with 59 points) would be the 3rd seed in the playoffs by winning the South-Least division.

I always hated giving a top 3 seed to a division winner regardless of points, but a team that DOESN'T FINISH IN THE TOP 8 doesn't even deserve to be in the playoffs, much less a #3 seed.

1 Ottawa Senators 56 72

3 Montr

1 Ottawa Senators 56 72

3 Montr

Awww - c'mon - give us poor Caps fans a break! We can finally speak the "P-word" for the first time in years - who cares how we may get there? Remember - 2 of the last 3 Cup winners have come from the "South-Least" Division so how bad can it be?

2 flash in the pan teams.

Something like this always comes up I think when there is a team that is underachieving and ends up in 3rd via divisional standing. I think that you should be rewarded if you win your division, and plus a team like the Caps would more than likely be weeded out of the playoffs, ala Atlanta last year, not saying they didn't deserve to be there, but they played like sh!te going into the playoffs. I don't think you can take away the importance of a divisional title. Its not washington's fault they play in a subpar division.

Something like this always comes up I think when there is a team that is underachieving and ends up in 3rd via divisional standing. I think that you should be rewarded if you win your division, and plus a team like the Caps would more than likely be weeded out of the playoffs, ala Atlanta last year, not saying they didn't deserve to be there, but they played like sh!te going into the playoffs. I don't think you can take away the importance of a divisional title. Its not washington's fault they play in a subpar division.

Look closely, the Sabres are trailing the Rags 3 pts with 4 games in hand (the Bruins are 2 pts behind the Rags and also with 4 games in hand). So, the Rags maybe the team that is possible to miss the playoffs although they have more points than the SouthEast division winner.

If a big market team like the Rags miss the post-season because of it, we may see the league making changes regarding those ridiculous rule.

But again, the Caps have 2 games in hand over the Rags while trailing 4pts. If the Caps win those 2, they've the same amount of pts as the Rags but with more wins.

The SouthEast division is a joke and has been for years. They get the least amount of points to make the plauoffs and because they are a division winner they should be third seed with home ice advantage? NO WAY and I agree the NHL needs to change this. If you're not good enough to make the top 8 teams then you don't belong in the playoffs! They should go by total points earned and then the wins come next. Just bullsh*t the way the third seed from that division has barely enough of points to make the playoffs. That whole division is just a friggin' wash if you ask me.

The SouthEast division is a joke and has been for years. They get the least amount of points to make the plauoffs and because they are a division winner they should be third seed with home ice advantage? NO WAY and I agree the NHL needs to change this. If you're not good enough to make the top 8 teams then you don't belong in the playoffs! They should go by total points earned and then the wins come next. Just bullsh*t the way the third seed from that division has barely enough of points to make the playoffs. That whole division is just a friggin' wash if you ask me.

Oh, please, think long-term. We pass the first round and in the second round we'll face Ottawa assuming Ottawa wins in round 1 (which is quite possible) and the No. 2 seed (assume it is the Pens) advances. During that time, I don't think the Devils will survive and I am tired of the 2 rounds and out team.

On the other hand, if we capture the 2nd seed, we have a good chance to face the No. 4/5 (which I think it's either Pitt or MTL) assuming the No. 3 seed, the Southeast winner, got beaten by the No. 6 team and this team will face OTT in round 2. Against Pitt, we've a good fighting chance as we are leading in the season series. Against the Habs, you know we have the edge as the Devs have given them many troubles already. Although we may meet the Sens in round 3, but at least, the team improves.

Good point. And after what happened two years ago maybe it's not good to have an easy first round.

If Washington does win their division and they have the least amount of points they will finish in the third seed. I think Washington will win that division as well. The Canes and Lightning are just terrible right now.

But, I don't think they will have the least number of points. They won't end up being a true "3", but won't be a total joke either.