Fix the playoff system!!!

Z-Man

I'd still like them to change it to let the top seed select what team it would like to play out of the bottom 4, then the 2 seed gets to select from the remaining 4 bottom seeds, etc... at least try to increase the advantage the top seeds have because it's pretty miniscule right now, IMO.

I'd still like them to change it to let the top seed select what team it would like to play out of the bottom 4, then the 2 seed gets to select from the remaining 4 bottom seeds, etc... at least try to increase the advantage the top seeds have because it's pretty miniscule right now, IMO.

Edited by Devil Fan

I would like it better if they do this, the division winners are guaranteed a playoff spot but they aren't guaranteed a seed in the top 3. This would solve the problem of a team getting home ice and playing a "weaker" team when that team really doesn't deserve it.

Rk - Eastern Conference - PTS

1 - Ottawa Senators - 72 - Northeast Division leader

2 - Pittsburgh Penguins - 69 - Atlantic Division leader

3 - Montr

Edited by Satans Hockey

It really is a hard decision. It is funny because I made a thread last year that the NHL should adopt an the NBA playoff system or change the systme that it is now. I remember Tri saying that he doubted we would ever have this problem so there is no point in changing the system but we just might this year.

For folks like myself who aren't familiar with the intricacies of the NBA playoff format and had to look it up, here it is:

The NBA, like the NHL, has 6 divisions split into 2 conferences. The 3 division winners in each conference plus the best 2nd-place team are your top 4 seeds ordered by record, so it's possible that a division winner could be the 4th seed. The NBA Finals is a 2-3-2 series, all others are 2-2-1-1-1. The teams are not reseeded after each round. Home court advantage is determined by record, not by seed, so a really crappy division winner could find themselves without home court advantage if their non-division-winning opponent has a better record.

Awww - c'mon - give us poor Caps fans a break! We can finally speak the "P-word" for the first time in years - who cares how we may get there? Remember - 2 of the last 3 Cup winners, (Including Carolina, who was aided by the Sabres defensive group basically out of ECF Game 7 and Roloson getting hurt, and getting gift calls) have come from the "South-Least" Division so how bad can it be?

Here is a novel concept: How about making the conferences have 2 divisions, so what if there are 7 or 8 teams in each division? Put some real merit on winning a division title, and after the Top 2 seeds in each division are crowned, seed 3-8 are based strictly on record. And Gary, PLEASE rename the conferences and divisions...I know, beating a dead horse...just drives me nuts.

Here is a novel concept: How about making the conferences have 2 divisions, so what if there are 7 or 8 teams in each division? Put some real merit on winning a division title, and after the Top 2 seeds in each division are crowned, seed 3-8 are based strictly on record. And Gary, PLEASE rename the conferences and divisions...I know, beating a dead horse...just drives me nuts.

Oh, please, think long-term. We pass the first round and in the second round we'll face Ottawa assuming Ottawa wins in round 1 (which is quite possible) and the No. 2 seed (assume it is the Pens) advances. During that time, I don't think the Devils will survive and I am tired of the 2 rounds and out team.

On the other hand, if we capture the 2nd seed, we have a good chance to face the No. 4/5 (which I think it's either Pitt or MTL) assuming the No. 3 seed, the Southeast winner, got beaten by the No. 6 team and this team will face OTT in round 2. Against Pitt, we've a good fighting chance as we are leading in the season series. Against the Habs, you know we have the edge as the Devs have given them many troubles already. Although we may meet the Sens in round 3, but at least, the team improves.

Wow. Didn't realize the Sens still instilled this much fear in people. Considering every time they've finished in the top two on the strength of early season success while struggling down the stretch, they've been bounced in the first round handily...

The best thing about playoff hockey is that upsets happen so often, but I don't think it has to do with the seeding system the league employs. So I don't see how that would necessarily change that.

For folks like myself who aren't familiar with the intricacies of the NBA playoff format and had to look it up, here it is:

The NBA, like the NHL, has 6 divisions split into 2 conferences. The 3 division winners in each conference plus the best 2nd-place team are your top 4 seeds ordered by record, so it's possible that a division winner could be the 4th seed. The NBA Finals is a 2-3-2 series, all others are 2-2-1-1-1. The teams are not reseeded after each round. Home court advantage is determined by record, not by seed, so a really crappy division winner could find themselves without home court advantage if their non-division-winning opponent has a better record.

That's interesting. But I hate the 2-3-2, even if it saves on travel fatigue. The rest of that wouldn't be so bad.

The southeast has been incredibly weak over the last decade despite producing a few cup winners. I don't understand why a team should be rewarded a top 3 slot just for beating out 4 other equally miserable teams. I'd like to see the division winner get A guaranteed playoff spot, not top 3.

The southeast has been incredibly weak over the last decade despite producing a few cup winners. I don't understand why a team should be rewarded a top 3 slot just for beating out 4 other equally miserable teams. I'd like to see the division winner get A guaranteed playoff spot, not top 3.

So the Division is weak but has produced 2 of the last 3 Cup Winners... okaaaayyyyy

I don't know .... or really.... care... what the rest of ya's think... I'm pulling for a modern-day Caps/Penguins playoff series...those were amazing back in the mid-90s, and it lets the league hype Crosby/Ovechkin (you know.. that publicity thing)... and the more the Rangers hang out in the 9-seed the more y'all will be rooting for this format... and there should be some reward for being the best team in your division... look at Jacksonville in the NFL... every year they win 10-12 games and every year they're a wild card and usually playing in the building of a 9 win team in the first round... the better team usually wins anyway :noclue:

(anyone remember back in 1996, when we missed the playoffs but would be FIFTH in the West... sh!t happens guys!)