Marian Hossa and Dupuis to Pittsburgh for Esposito, Armstrong, and Chr

'7'

Staal is a much better option. He would be Atlanta's #1 Center right now. That is their biggest need. I don't know if Christensen is much better than Holik. Again the Thrashers, even with Hossa had 9 bottom 6 forwards. Now they haver 10. Dupuis for Christensen is basically a wash. I doubt they do anything with the pick since it will be low. A typical Atlanta move though. Can't decide if they waqnt today or tomorrow so they get neither.

Hogwash. Staal won't be a top center in the league and he isn't better than Todd White right now, sad is that is to say. Staal's upside is a 1st line center but I think he will be a 1A type of center - he hasn't shown any ability yet to pass in the NHL.

Christensen is way better than Holik in a dollars to effectiveness ratio, Dupuis is nonsense, Armstrong is much better, and a 1st in this draft is a solid pickup. And then they get Esposito.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, this was a great deal for Atlanta. They got the young depth they need, a high draft pick in Esposito and a first round pick. Atlanta is already a very improved team going into next year.

I think Pittsburgh loses alot of quality depth and makes them weaker going into the playoffs. High profile players at the deadline typically destroy's a young teams chemistry. This sounds like Tkachuk in Atlanta, Guerin in San Jose last year, Roberts in Pittsburgh last year.

Great trade for Atlanta.

The pens gave up their #1 prospect plus a first rounder for a rental oft injured player not to mention the other two players.

If he catches fire and the Pens win the cup it was a great trade. Seeing as how that scenario is unlikely, I would judge this trade as a poor one.

Edited by devilsadvoc8

I am gone for a little while and Hossa going to Pittsburgh. :argh: This was an insane trade and I hope this broke up all the chemistry that Pittsburgh had. They are saying the the NHL channel that Pittsburgh is now favored to win the EC and the division now. Only time will tell and I hope this trade blows up in their faces. They look really dangerous now with Crosby, Malkin and Hossa on the same team but the chemistry has been broken. Good trade for Waddell as he gets two good players in Christen and Armstrong. Pittsburgh getting Dupris is a nice pick up though. Looks like the Devils and Pittsburgh will go down the wire for the division just like last season. They face eachother twice in march and looking forward to this match up on the Devils schedule. I am pissed that Hossa is on the Penguins.

The pens gave up their #1 prospect plus a first rounder for a rental oft injured player.

Hossa is oft-injured like Marty is oft-injured. Check your facts.

If he catches fire and the Pens win the cup it was a great trade. Seeing as how that scenario is unlikely, I would judge this trade as a poor one.

Pens see an opening and are gunning for it this year. They've stockpiled a wealth of talent in prospects in the last three years and now they're starting to deal it away in exchange for proven talent. I hardly doubt their organization is significantly worse off now than it was before the deal. If Hossa should flame out and leave the team, they'll easily have enough $ to bring in players of similar ilk to those they just dealt.

Hossa is oft-injured like Marty is oft-injured. Check your facts.

Pens see an opening and are gunning for it this year. They've stockpiled a wealth of talent in prospects in the last three years and now they're starting to deal it away in exchange for proven talent. I hardly doubt their organization is significantly worse off now than it was before the deal. If Hossa should flame out and leave the team, they'll easily have enough $ to bring in players of similar ilk to those they just dealt.

You are correct. Hossa is not injury prone. mea culpa but no need to be pissy about it.

Your statement that the Pens are hardly worse off now is curious. Perhaps this year that may be true but this gave away a lot of potential for this year only. As I stated, if they win the cup this is a good trade, otherwise no.

Thing is, the Pens think they have all the cornerstones in place. Franchise player, check. All-Star supporting winger for diversified scoring, check. Promising young d-men, check. Promising goaltender... check? Fleury is their weak spot in terms of moving forward. Penguins have young guys in the key spots right now, none of them even close to being in their true primes. They could stand to sign some veterans for the lower 6 forwards corps. Oh yeah, and bring in defenders other than Hal Gill and Darryl Sydor.

Top 6 (once Crosby is healthy): Crosby, Malkin, Hossa, Sykora, Malone, Kennedy

Bottom pool: Staal, Roberts, Dupuis, Talbot, Ruutu, Laraque, Taffe, Hall, Minard (anybody else notice he's played in 3 games for them?)

da8, I still think the biggest thing the Pens gave up in this deal was the 1st rounder, but as stated by another poster, the Penguins have had a ridiculous run of high 1st round picks of late... they can afford to gamble a bit.

Seems like alot of Pens fans are very upset about this deal. This seems like it could go ether way for them.

Good for them bad for us: Hossa fits right in, Resumes is normal dominant self. Hossa signes a long tearm extention. Crosby - Malkin - Hossa... nasty for years to come.

Bad for them Good for us: The chemestry is damaged within the team. They can't win games in the shootout as easially without Chistenson. Hossa leaves on July 1. 3 Solid players and a draft pick gone.

Lets hope for the latter.

da8, I still think the biggest thing the Pens gave up in this deal was the 1st rounder, but as stated by another poster, the Penguins have had a ridiculous run of high 1st round picks of late... they can afford to gamble a bit.

It's more than that even...the Pens gave up their second and fifth-rounders for Gill and apparently their third-rounder in the Laraque trade last year. So unless I'm missing something they have one pick in the first five rounds of the draft, and that's a fourth-rounder :unsure: