New York Mets Thread

Devils Pride 26

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mets are just a stupid impatient team.

Let's face it, the rotation and offense were good enough to win. The bullpen absolutely killed this team.

But this is the second straight year where teams that had nothing to play for seemed a bit too excited to play the Mets. Maybe it's their payroll that irks other teams, maybe it's the New York thing...but next year, I'd like to see this team tone it down with the theatrics. Especially when it looks like they need all the help they can get come September.

Well since this season is over I might as well go over what I think needs to be done:

-First and foremost, BULLPEN HELP. NO IFS AND'S OR BUTS, OMAR! We need a SOLID setup man and we need K-rod as the closer!

-Dump Castillo for a bag of balls, what a horrible signing this was.. Put Murphy at 2B.

-Back to the bullpen, just get rid of everyone possible. Have to get rid of Heilman and Co., keep Joe Smith and Pedro Feliciano.. Ayala can be brought back, I wouldnt mind him as our setup man if we have to do that

-I have NO idea how the starting rotation is gonna look. My guess is Pedro/Perez are gone.. So: Santana, Pelfrey, Maine, ?, ?. Acquire 1-2 quality starters.. maybe a Mike Mussina or Jon Garland (since both are free agents)

-Im still undecided on Delgado.. Texeira is WAYYYY better for the longhaul.. So.. sadly, I think I have to lean towards Tex IF we have the money, which i highly doubt we will anyway

-Need to improve the outfield. Maybe Manny Ramirez? Again this is tough to do if we want K-Rod and a quality starter.. Maybe F-Mart will step up.. who knows.. I WONT be very comfortable with 'Martinez-Beltran-Church' as our starters in the OF next year.. So I say give Manny a 1 year whopping deal and give Fmart another year of develop b/c he is definitely not MLB ready based on his AA season

-Dare we trade Beltran for some cap support and more?

-New management: Get rid of the WHOLE coaching staff, need a passionate manager, Lou Piniella-esque.. Luis Aguayo is terrible at 3b, HoJo needs to go this offense is just too inconsistent. ..sorry Jerry but its not fair

Well thats what I think. If anyone feels to comment/challenge no problem I want to hear ur thoughts.. i know some may sound stupid but I think this group needs to be broken up

Edited by nmigliore

According to Jerry, Santana is pitching tomorrow. So, Im guessing Ollie on Sunday..

That sounds eerily familiar .. a pitcher who is a free agent-to be pitching the final game of the season on a Sunday afternoon vs the Marlins.. hmmm .. the only thing left is for the Mets to blow out the Marlins tomorrow and Santana come 5 outs away from a no hitter.

BTW CR i got ur pm but i cant reply back it says u chosen not to receive messages :P

Edited by nmigliore

Well since this season is over I might as well go over what I think needs to be done:

-First and foremost, BULLPEN HELP. NO IFS AND'S OR BUTS, OMAR! We need a SOLID setup man and we need K-rod as the closer!

-Dump Castillo for a bag of balls, what a horrible signing this was.. Put Murphy at 2B.

-Back to the bullpen, just get rid of everyone possible. Have to get rid of Heilman and Co., keep Joe Smith and Pedro Feliciano.. Ayala can be brought back, I wouldnt mind him as our setup man if we have to do that

-I have NO idea how the starting rotation is gonna look. My guess is Pedro/Perez are gone.. So: Santana, Pelfrey, Maine, ?, ?. Acquire 1-2 quality starters.. maybe a Mike Mussina or Jon Garland (since both are free agents)

-Im still undecided on Delgado.. Texeira is WAYYYY better for the longhaul.. So.. sadly, I think I have to lean towards Tex IF we have the money, which i highly doubt we will anyway

-Need to improve the outfield. Maybe Manny Ramirez? Again this is tough to do if we want K-Rod and a quality starter.. Maybe F-Mart will step up.. who knows.. I WONT be very comfortable with 'Martinez-Beltran-Church' as our starters in the OF next year.. So I say give Manny a 1 year whopping deal and give Fmart another year of develop b/c he is definitely not MLB ready based on his AA season

-Dare we trade Beltran for some cap support and more?

-New management: Get rid of the WHOLE coaching staff, need a passionate manager, Lou Piniella-esque.. Luis Aguayo is terrible at 3b, HoJo needs to go this offense is just too inconsistent. ..sorry Jerry but its not fair

Well thats what I think.

I was going to address these points, but I can't bring myself to do it until the season is truly over...bad as it may look right now. So I have to give it until at least tomorrow.

BTW CR i got ur pm but i cant reply back it says u chosen not to receive messages :P

fixed :D

Mets no longer control their fate.. Although I will say if they can pull out 2 W's they still should able to force a 1-game playoff.. which would setup.. guess who, to pitch.. PEDRO

lets just end the agony.. get to hockey season.. sign K-rod and do some moves.. get excited for the Mets and CitiField after the Devils are out in Round 2.. and then get ready for another agonizing September.. and let the cycle continue

Edited by nmigliore

Mets no longer control their fate.. Although I will say if they can pull out 2 W's they still should able to force a 1-game playoff.. which would setup.. guess who, to pitch.. PEDRO

lets just end the agony.. get to hockey season.. sign K-rod and do some moves.. get excited for the Mets and CitiField after the Devils are out in Round 2.. and then get ready for another agonizing September.. and let the cycle continue

They just don't have any guts. This team is scared, chokes in every situation imagineable, and even when they hit the ball hard it's a hard luck DP or amazing play in the outfield.

The team right now is completely dead. No pulse...nothing. If they somehow wiggle into the playoffs after this, it'll be about as epic as it gets.

But it won't happen.

Because they don't care, they don't try. They have a glass jaw. When the Marlins come in saying they want to beat them, saying they're about to rub it in your face...the Mets just roll over and let it happen. They swing at 2-0 ball 3. They swing at 3-1 ball 4. They don't know how to knock pitchers out, they let up huge innings after 2 outs. I can go on for hours

and they let the Brewers back into it

They let the Braves smack them around for the millionth time this decade

They let the Phillies walk all over them

They let the Marlins walk all over them

they never respond, they never answer the bell.

They need to be broken up. Starting with Minaya and Bernazzard (sp?) Bring back Bobby V as well.

This team needs to grow a spine for once and stop letting itself get slapped around.

the Mets will lose the last 2 games to finish the season 6-11 in their last 17 after going 5-12 in their last 17 last year.

That's a combine 11-23. Philly in that same stretch is 24-8, 26-8 by the time this season is through.

Edited by '7'

Well I just got home from Shea a little while ago and I am really emotional drained. After being there for last nights game and then see what happened tonight is just very draining. :saddevil: I am really spent over this Mets team. Just a shame how they are "choking" away their season. It is not a collapse this season. It is a big "choke" and it was sad to see tonight as they were lifeless tonight at the plate and the BP was at its usual worst again. Heilman and Schoeneweis has to go NOW! They should never ever pitch again for the Mets.

It was very disheartening to see this team play the way they played tonight and now they no longer control their fate. Brewers seem to want the NL WC a lot more than the Mets do and now they have it by 1 game. The Phillies look like they will be given the NL East division once again from the Mets. Phillies also deserve the division now by the way they have been playing too. As for the Mets, they deserve NOTHING and they have themselves to blame. I had to see another terrible game @ Shea where they should have came out and beat up the Marlins. Instead they choked everything away in 2 of the last three nights. I have the game on Sunday and it maybe the final Goodbye @ Shea. :saddevil: It will be more of emotional day for me than it was tonight if the Mets are eliminated on the last day @ Shea.

Mets have to hope the Cubs do not lay down now and the Brewers need to lose their last 2 games and the Mets win their last 2 games. Also the Phillies lose their last 2 games which is doubtful and the Mets win their last 2 games they will be tied for the division. if the Mets and the Phillies have the better record than the Brewers than the Mets win the division and the Phillies take the WC which will need some kind of miracle on all circumstances.

Just another rough night out @ Shea and another devastating loss. I still BELIEVE in this Mets team, but man I am starting to lose it they way this is turning out.

Always BELIEVE!!!!

2 more games to go and just have to hope for the best Mets fans. I am still going to try to stay positive since most here have been on the negative the last month or so. You just never know and it ain't over until it is over.

CMON METS!!! Win the next 2 games!

LETS GO METS!!!

Geez I thought there wouldn't be as many posts here cause it seemed as if everyone was going to the game. Maybe some stayed away because of those monsoon warnings that never came to pass :lol: The most rain I saw all night was what was on my seat before sitting down :P

I hate having to pitch Santana on three days' rest after he threw a career-high 125 pitches, that's just asking for trouble. But that's why the Mets really needed this game tonight.

It's the easiest copout to criticize heart when the team doesn't win, but let's face it we have exactly two reliable pitchers right now - and Santana and Pelfrey only pitch once every fifth day (usually), and Pelfrey's clearly been fighting it his last three starts because of going way above his career high in innings - he still managed to come up with quality starts though. Ollie tanking down the stretch and Maine getting hurt really compromised the rotation, exposing the pen that much more.

Of course zero reliable pitchers in the pen, for all the scapegoating Heilman gets nobody else is any damn good either. I wish I could get paid millions of dollars to suck at my job day in and day out.

As far as the offense, it's hard to get anything going when Reyes pulls his usual September dissapearing act (funny how Hanley always goes from being a very good player to a star against the Mets though) and with a bottom third of the order that's a total joke. A bottom four really with Church's struggles down the stretch last night excepted.

And we know about Wright's struggles in the clutch going back to the 2006 playoffs where he was invisible, obviously he presses too much though he's at least had some hits the previous few games. The only people I'm comfortable with in a big spot are Delgado, the much-maligned Beltran and Murphy though even he had a couple of bad AB's tonight.

Our bench is a total joke too, Marlon's washed up, Easley's trying to hit on one leg, our other big lefty PH'ers are Endy Chavez and Luis Castillo :lol: Our righty PH'ers of choice are Nick Evans and fragile Ramon Castro.

I still think if we win two there's a one-game playoff on Monday, I don't think the Cubs will completely lay down. Winning two got imminently harder after tonight, but what's the point of giving up now? It's like jumping off the ship when it's almost in the water anyway, might as well go down with the ship and hope for a miracle. Let's see how the Brewers play from in front, they didn't do too well last time they had a lead either.

Edited by Hasan4978

I still think if we win two there's a one-game playoff on Monday, I don't think the Cubs will completely lay down. Winning two got imminently harder after tonight, but what's the point of giving up now? It's like jumping off the ship when it's almost in the water anyway, might as well go down with the ship and hope for a miracle. Let's see how the Brewers play from in front, they didn't do too well last time they had a lead either.

That's an excellent point. If your already up to your ankles with water...might as well stick it out

It just could be a very very ugly last few days at Shea. A depressing way to close out this ballpark. If we're eliminated tomorrow there's going to be nobody in the stands on Sunday. An absolute ghost town...and they're going to have ceremonies?

Geez I thought there wouldn't be as many posts here cause it seemed as if everyone was going to the game. Maybe some stayed away because of those monsoon warnings that never came to pass :lol: The most rain I saw all night was what was on my seat before sitting down :P

I hate having to pitch Santana on three days' rest after he threw a career-high 125 pitches, that's just asking for trouble. But that's why the Mets really needed this game tonight.

It's the easiest copout to criticize heart when the team doesn't win, but let's face it we have exactly two reliable pitchers right now - and Santana and Pelfrey only pitch once every fifth day (usually), and Pelfrey's clearly been fighting it his last three starts because of going way above his career high in innings - he still managed to come up with quality starts though. Ollie tanking down the stretch and Maine getting hurt really compromised the rotation, exposing the pen that much more.

Of course zero reliable pitchers in the pen, for all the scapegoating Heilman gets nobody else is any damn good either. I wish I could get paid millions of dollars to suck at my job day in and day out.

As far as the offense, it's hard to get anything going when Reyes pulls his usual September dissapearing act (funny how Hanley always goes from being a very good player to a star against the Mets though) and with a bottom third of the order that's a total joke. A bottom four really with Church's struggles down the stretch last night excepted.

And we know about Wright's struggles in the clutch going back to the 2006 playoffs where he was invisible, obviously he presses too much though he's at least had some hits the previous few games. The only people I'm comfortable with in a big spot are Delgado, the much-maligned Beltran and Murphy though even he had a couple of bad AB's tonight.

Our bench is a total joke too, Marlon's washed up, Easley's trying to hit on one leg, our other big lefty PH'ers are Endy Chavez and Luis Castillo :lol: Our righty PH'ers of choice are Nick Evans and fragile Ramon Castro.

I'd trade Jose for Hanley any day

But who wouldn't? :P

Edited by nmigliore

yea, i threw in the towel for this season. on paper they have the easiest september playing teams below .500, braves, nationals, and the marlins (they might be slightly above .500) and next season there gonna be playing against many of these teams that they did this year.

i dont think they should give minaya a contract extension, although they prob will, since he was the head guy in the choke last yr and most likely this year(no it was not willie, although i didnt like some of the things he did, and its not manuel this yr, its the players) .

the whole bullpen needs to go, heilman 1st, then ship the rest off. Louis "i cant get a hit" castillo needs to go. if they can find a better outfielder than church they should make the trade, (he was amazing in april and may, but after he got hurt he really started to struggle. they need to get rid of marlon anderson, he barley got any pinch hits. and i doubt oliver perez is back next season

it would be stupid for the mets to get rid of both murphy and evans, and they should give romon martinez a shot at second, (hes doing more the crapillo). even though castro underachieved this season, i would still give him another chance, considering he was injured 1/2 the season.

at least hockey season is in a few weeks

LETS GO DEVILS!!

Do not have a problem with Wright hitting clean up. Beltran batting second is not a good idea though. I would go with Reyes, Murphy, Beltran, Wright, Delgado, Martinez, Church and Castro. Church is just killing the Mets with RISP along with the rest of the team, but Church is just not hitting and getting the job done. Wright, Delgado and Beltran seem to be the only ones hitting. Reyes was just terrible last night and the Mets need him to get on base. Reyes is the catalyst of this team and when he gets on base the Mets WIN. When he does not they lose just like last night.

Cannot put any blame on Santana if he cannot carry this team today. The Mets offense needs to step it up and protect Santana who is pitching on 3 days rest. Mets MUST win today to continue their season. Get it done!

The Mets are 5-5 in their last 10, and have scored 6 or more runs in seven of those games, and in one of the three where they didn't reach six they scored five. Overall they're averaging 5.9 runs per game in that stretch. There have clearly been times when the clutch hitting has been poor, but how many more runs can this team be expected to score? Offense isn't really the problem...we all know where the real problem is, but there's nothing anyone can do about it now.