Devil of a time for Zajac

Rock

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2008...145021-sun.html

"The second year is always the toughest, you're coming off the first year where there is so much excitement and everything is new," said Zajac. "I want to take my game to another level. The points will come, but that's not what our team is about. The New Jersey Devils organization has always been about hard work and system and defence. Those are the most important things."

Its called the "sophmore jinx." Zajac will get better and next season hopefully he will have a break out season.

I hope he gets better. Hate to throw cold water, but what does Travis do well? besides play a pretty good 2 way game. He seems average to me in every way. he doesn't make people around him better. please prove me clueless.

Travis plays good defense, has a nice shot, is incredibly difficult to beat along the boards, and is a decent passer. Those are all when things are going well for him. He is just pressing pretty much all season but we saw all those abilities last season and that means those abilities are there.

Travis plays good defense, has a nice shot, is incredibly difficult to beat along the boards, and is a decent passer. Those are all when things are going well for him. He is just pressing pretty much all season but we saw all those abilities last season and that means those abilities are there.

I dont know what other 22 year centers that are doing too much better than Zajac. And if they are, theyre most likely playing with great, or premier talent unlike Zajac who is flopped around with Asham and Brylin. When he is with talent, like Parise he could produce, for example, last year in his rookie season working with a sophomore and a veteran, he did alot. I wouldnt cut him short.

zajac does not have a huge upside. he's not going to be more than a 2nd line center.

but he's 4 years away from his peak and he should be a very good 2nd line center. i would not be that surprised if he turns out to be a better overall player than jordan staal (although it is unlikely).

is incredibly difficult to beat along the boards

Couldn't disagree more. I've been rather stunned this season by how many pucks the guy hasn't won in the corners. I think it's one of the hallmarks of the piss-poor season he's had.

I'm on the record that I thought he could be the best two-way, homegrown center we've ever produced. His regression this season doesn't exactly make me look like a prophet.

<JESTER>

Couldn't disagree more. I've been rather stunned this season by how many pucks the guy hasn't won in the corners. I think it's one of the hallmarks of the piss-poor season he's had.

I'm on the record that I thought he could be the best two-way, homegrown center we've ever produced. His regression this season doesn't exactly make me look like a prophet.

<JESTER>

You missed the part when I said when things are going well for him. He is struggling at doing everything this season but last season how strong on the boards he was was probably his best attribute.

You missed the part when I said when things are going well for him. He is struggling at doing everything this season but last season how strong on the boards he was was probably his best attribute.

Gotcha...misread it. That's what I get for drinking beer...like, a lot.

<JESTER>

But why would the Devils trade Zajac for Jokinen?

The Devils already showed interest in getting him this past trade deadline, and Jokinen might just be the player to spark the Devils' offense again. Parting with Zajac would be sad, but to get Jokinen (33G, 37A, 17PPG while playing on a pretty bad team) it could be worth it. Only problem is Jokinen only has a couple of years left on his contract and one slump season would waste $5.5M of Devils' money.

The Devils already showed interest in getting him this past trade deadline, and Jokinen might just be the player to spark the Devils' offense again. Parting with Zajac would be sad, but to get Jokinen (33G, 37A, 17PPG while playing on a pretty bad team) it could be worth it. Only problem is Jokinen only has a couple of years left on his contract and one slump season would waste $5.5M of Devils' money.

with jokenin you get a real threat every night. worth every penny imo. with Zajac you get "upside" whatever the hell that is. anyway, it'll take a whole lot more to get olli than travis. travis was also used at one time on pk, with the "thinking" he would one day be our new maddog? I have my doubts about that too. I want travis to prove me wrong, and I hope I am. He's now on the 4th line for a reason. seems some have lost a lil faith.