Devils Financial Situation?

CaptainScotty

I just read that gretzky article, and they seemed to have dumped salary based on a 60 million dollar operating loss. Now I may be wrong, but I remember reading that the Devils are going to post something like a 50 mil operating loss this year, coupled with the 50 last year.

How long could it possibly be before we begin selling off our own players? I strongly suspect that if the boys dont put together a cup this year, our chances may be slim next year if we have to salary dump (i.e. Niedermayer, Brodeur!).

I dont know how the playoffs are going to go for the team, but if it goes badly, I can speculate that Stevens could be forced into retirement.

I really love this hockey team, but I absolutely abhor the constant politics involving the team always teetering on the edge of absolute destruction. I'd give just about anything for some stability.

this team is fine with money. don't be fooled by the balance sheet. coroporations save truckloads on taxes when they show a loss. b/c of the many "consulting" and "management" fees paid out to Lou, PuckHoldings, YankeeNets, etc. the Devils' balance sheet might not look great, but the team is doing well enough to ensure that there won't be a selloff of players unless we have a san jose type season where we decide to move aging players towards the end of their contracts.

If the Devs have those kind of payroll concerns in the offseason they won't resign Niewy (I'd like to see them resign Niewy but I'll believe it when I see it since Lou doesn't often resign older UFA's) and they'll dump TiVo (which they may regardless since he seems to be persona non grata now) and save almost $9 million just from those two. Add in Albelin's $1 million that comes off the books next year, and the Devs have a little flexibility.

No matter what, though, they will not dump Marty, and Stevens and Dano will retire Devils. BOOK IT.

I think the Devils are losing money, but I highly doubt that the Coyotes are losing 60 million a year.

Stevens has a no-trade, I believe.

If the Devils don't resign Nieuwendyk, they may as well cut all of the high salary players over 30, and Niedermayer too.

If the Devs get past round 1, they will probably break even. Fact is, most hockey teams rely on the playoffs alone just to bring in a profit for the year.

Of the four major sprots, hockey easily generates the least amount of revenue, and it's largely due to the miniscual television contracts it gets.

Damned this arena, without it our team gets the shaft? Is it just a bunch of morons running NJ? What the hell?

Moreover, the Devils have to shoulder some of this blame too. The atrocious agreement with the NJ Sports Authority for the meadowlands was a bad move by the management. I hear that the arena walks away with a lot of the ticket revenue and concession sales because of the contract.

Even if the new arena tanks, the Lou HAS to renegotiate the deal, and the get those bastard politicians to make the NJ Sports Authority to grant some sort of concession to the team (especially since the threat of moving would blast the facility to hell).

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that wed have a lot more asses in the seats if every ticket were $10 cheaper.