Good Signs For Devils

Derek21

As an unbiased outside observer, I can tell the truth about what I sense about another team.

And what I see from the Devils is a team that's together and believes they are good enough to win the whole damn thing. They carry a swagger into their games now that wasn't evident when Brodeur was struggling a little while ago.

And yeah, it's all reliant on the goalie. When Brodeur plays lights out like he's been playing the past two weeks, the Devils are almost unbeatable. They are now getting the timely goals from their best players (Elias and Gomez) and that's become their top line. The Nieuwendyk line is back to being the 2nd line and has cooled off.

I see the Devils going very far in this year's postseason. They are very difficult on defense and few teams can get around it. Only speedy teams like Ottawa and Tampa Bay might be able to beat them in the East. If you want to throw Philly in there, you wouldn't see them until the 3rd round and they would be beaten up.

New Jersey has four solid lines that are contributing and the best D in the league. They seem to be getting stronger and don't seem to miss that "scorer" everyone was crowing for at the deadline.

I also think they have an easier draw than 1st seed Ottawa. Ottawa has to contend with either Toronto or Philly in the 2nd round while New Jersey could wind up with Tampa Bay or the Caps. If it's the Caps, they will have an easy time of it. If it's TB, that has the makings to be a good series.

But I wonder if it would even compare in physicality to an Ottawa-Toronto or Ottawa-Philly in which both teams will beat each other up.

The third round could see the winner of that potential series tired and worn down.

I really think Brodeur's on a mission and he is the best goalie going into it.

I wouldn't be shocked if they hoist the Cup in June. This team has the same heart the 2000 team did.

They don't get down.

That's my take.

Good luck.

I believe that the heart is there, the defense is up to the challanage, the goaltending is certainly there... but I'm not sold on this offense even if Elias scores 5 goals in his next game. Heart will get you so far like it did for Carolina last year, but eventually as you get closer to the Stanley Cup your short-comings become more appairent as was the case again last year in the finals. Although I do think New Jersey would stand a much better chance against a power house like Detroit then a Cinderella Carolina.

I also think they have an easier draw than 1st seed Ottawa. Ottawa has to contend with either Toronto or Philly in the 2nd round while New Jersey could wind up with Tampa Bay or the Caps. If it's the Caps, they will have an easy time of it. If it's TB, that has the makings to be a good series.

Did the NHL stop reseeding?

Well there's always an upset or two in the first round that screws up the seedings. If say the Caps beat Tampa in the first round then if all the other higher seeds won we'd play Toronto in the second round while Ottawa got the Caps.

Exactly Has, Toronto and Philadelphia aren't out of the question for the 2nd round.

Who is out of the question, assuming the Devils can hold on to 2nd place, is Ottawa, and that's good news.

What I like about the Devils' potential matchups is that Boston and the Islanders have had shaky goaltending all year. Now I know all of the superstitious "never forget 98 or 2002" people are going to get up in arms, but you know what, I think the Devils can beat Hackett/Shields, and I think the Devils can beat Snow.

Most of all, what I think this Devils team possesses that the losing teams didn't is some kind of swagger. I think they're going to win in overtime. And that, my friends, is the key to this Devils team winning.. one overtime win against Carolina in 2002, or Ottawa in 98, and we're talking about second or third round berths.

My take on Tampa Bay-Washington is that whoever wins that division and gets the home ice should prevail in that 1st round series.

Tampa's been a great home team this season but a shaky road team.

I think Toronto will choke in the first round. They are just too stupid to win. All that talent and probably the most playoff tested veterans on their roster in a win now scenario. But all it takes to get this team off their game are a couple of scrums. If the Flyers are smart and get underneath their skin, the Leafs will take dumb penalties which will cost them a couple of games.

I think the Flyers are the better team anyway and are smarter than the Leafs and their bully tactics.