Burke blames Lowe for high salaries.

ghdi

Sounds like sour grapes to me, if this was so detrimental, the league would never have made it possible for people to sign RFAs to offer sheets.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242347&lid...=headlines_main

.....Burke told the Los Angeles Times that the rise in salaries for young players can be traced back to Lowe.

"You go right now from entry-level to what used to be the third contract, thanks to two offer sheets from Kevin Lowe," Burke said to the Times.

"Most [general] managers don't like starting fights with any other managers. . Thanks to the Edmonton Oilers, the second contract has disappeared."

Edited by ghdi

Burke is right but because the league has a linked to revenue cap it really doesn't matter. If the money doesn't go to RFA's it would just be more money thrown at the UFA's.

It's still a negative having the large money thrown at RFA's though, IMO. It makes it harder for teams to keep everybody together since the time of underpaid young talent is much shorter.

Edited by Devils731

Burke's about 20 years too late.

We got Stevens because of similar shenanigans. High priced contracts for young players is not a new problem. Guys an idiot.

For every Penner and Perry contract, there's a Parise contract.

Burke's about 20 years too late.

We got Stevens because of similar shenanigans. High priced contracts for young players is not a new problem. Guys an idiot.

For every Penner and Perry contract, there's a Parise contract.

It was a completely different game when arbitrators decided the compensation versus having a set compensation system. Most GMs probably want to go back to a higher compensation schedule and I would support that.

Wether you agree or disagree with Burke, you have to admit it is funny as hell to see/hear him comment on Lowe. TSN fired him up on "Off The Record" and it had me :rofl: .

Burke is still a whiny, stupid douche who had a cup-winning (dammed if I call it worthy :P) team tossed in his lap by circumstances that will never ever happen again in this league

he should be priasing whatever diety he worships for accepting his worthless soul in exchange for one fluke championship and stop pissing sour grapes on the rest of the league

no one told him to sign schenider to that dumb deal

or allow neidermommy and selanne to dick him around all season

LOOK AT YOURSELF overrated douche fvckbag!!!

I got news for Burke...if anyone should bitch and moan about Lowe, it is Darcy Regier and the Sabres...but apparently, Burke cannot let go of the past and you do not see Darcy and the Sabres crying about this 1 year later.

Get over it Burke.

I got news for Burke...if anyone should bitch and moan about Lowe, it is Darcy Regier and the Sabres...but apparently, Burke cannot let go of the past and you do not see Darcy and the Sabres crying about this 1 year later.

Get over it Burke.

Yeah they really got screwed over with the Vanek deal. Hopefully he goes back to playing like he did 2 seasons ago.

Lowe is an idiot who will probably be out of a job in a few months.

Not disagreeing with you on the first part, but its highly unlikely Lowe is gone before this year is out, if even then. Say what you will about him because he is a first rate jackass, but the guy has his back up against a wall in Edmonton, which is one of the least desirable cities to play in because its such crap (regardless of the fanbase).

I like the moves the Oilers made this offseason, with bringing veteran leadership and a stud when hes healthy (Cole) and replacing the underachieving Pitkanen with Visnovsky. The Hossa offer was a bit crazy, but at least he attempted to make a huge splash for that team. They've got some of the best young talent in the league as well. I think they will be much better this year. Trading a project (Torres) for another project (Brule) with a bigger upside that needed a new environment was a "not bad" move as well.

Edited by ghdi

It was a completely different game when arbitrators decided the compensation versus having a set compensation system. Most GMs probably want to go back to a higher compensation schedule and I would support that.

Its was the same set up when we got Stevens. The problem was year prior to us getting him the Blues signed him as a RFA and owed the Caps 5 1st round picks. Then then next year (or was it 2?) they signed Shanahan and Owed us the same first round picks they didn't have which is why an arbiter had to come into play to settle the score.

Lowe is playing by the rules nothing shady about it. Im a firm believer that you should be paid what you are worth and for a long time for RFA there has been a cloud of basically "take what i give you or don't play in the NHL".

Edited by squishyx

Not disagreeing with you on the first part, but its highly unlikely Lowe is gone before this year is out, if even then. Say what you will about him because he is a first rate jackass, but the guy has his back up against a wall in Edmonton, which is one of the least desirable cities to play in because its such crap (regardless of the fanbase).

I like the moves the Oilers made this offseason, with bringing veteran leadership and a stud when hes healthy (Cole) and replacing the underachieving Pitkanen with Visnovsky. The Hossa offer was a bit crazy, but at least he attempted to make a huge splash for that team. They've got some of the best young talent in the league as well. I think they will be much better this year. Trading a project (Torres) for another project (Brule) with a bigger upside that needed a new environment was a "not bad" move as well.

While Edmonton may not be a desirable location, if you put a winning team together in Edmonton it will change perspectives. He was able to draft at some good spots, but drafted badly, he had tons of picks to work with and threw those away by overpaying Penner.

The Cole trade is a question mark because he is damaged goods, Pitkanen is younger and a cheaper version of Vishnovsky. But I guess time will tell about these moves though.

Burke is still a whiny, stupid douche who had a cup-winning (dammed if I call it worthy :P) team tossed in his lap by circumstances that will never ever happen again in this league

he should be priasing whatever diety he worships for accepting his worthless soul in exchange for one fluke championship and stop pissing sour grapes on the rest of the league

no one told him to sign schenider to that dumb deal

or allow neidermommy and selanne to dick him around all season

LOOK AT YOURSELF overrated douche fvckbag!!!

TRUE DAT :clap:

Scott Neidermayer could have kidnapped Burke's kids at this point and Burke's response would be:

"We've got to give a guy like Scotty room to do what he needs to do...."

Burkies so awesome....he's so damned stubborn it's just awesome

Lowe has fired back lol

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242532&lid...s=topStory_main

...."I mean, if he wants to debate what our offer sheet did to them or to the salaries, anytime," he explained to Team 1260. "The reality is, Rick Nash's contract a number of years ago, (Patrice) Bergeron's and (Ilya) Kovalchuk's; that sets the standard - that's been going on for decades. I'm sick and tired of it. I know everybody in hockey is. I know our peers are like, 'well, that's Burkie.' This guy is an absolute media junkie and I guess he's achieving what he wants because he gets his name in the headlines. But I hate the fact that my name is linked to his. He's an underachieving wanna-be in terms of success in the NHL. He won a Stanley Cup? Great. I've won six Stanley Cups, you want to count rings? Who cares, it's just a little pathetic that he carries on."

I found another classic quote over on HF:

"It all boils down to ego. I remember reading a clip after we signed Penner and he was saying 'How dare you do this when I'm in Penticton (B.C.) and it's Brian Burke day.' Who the (heck) cares about Brian Burke day? This is business."

:rofl: What a windbag.

Edited by Hasan4978

Lowe even left an intriguing cliffhanger for the radio station's listeners.

"Don't even ask me about Scott Niedermayer, I've already lowered myself in terms of (talking about) how they acquired him," he said. "That's a story for another day, but they were able to bring Niedermayer and Pronger in and they won a Stanley Cup."

I hope a reporter follows up on this.

Talk about bitter, regardless of how Burke managed to get Nieds and the fact that Lowe couldn't keep Pronger. The fact is, Burke MANAGED to get both and won a SC.

Both Lowe and Sather can boast about having Gretzky and Messier win rings for them, but as GM's they will never put together a SC winning team this decade.