The Daily Show

oofrostonoo

But listening to the clips originally I believe he was upset that he got called a fake newsman, which is exactly what he is. Stewart being upset is what led the discourse down the contentiouis path it went. I don't believe what I posted is out of context, it shows him being upset at being fake news and then shows him being upset for being too soft with his interview.

Ok, we just have different interpretations of it then.

I don't believe he can shift gears without saying what he is doing and still be taken as serious as he wants. If he wants to do a comedy show then it's a comedy show and not to be taken seriously, if it's a news show then it needs to be clear when news is not being presented.

Crossfire was meant to be a serious political show and Stewart felt that it wasn't doing it's job. If you turn this around on Jon, then you need to call him out on being not funny, not entertaining because that's what he is supposed to do, not try and call Jon out for doing something his show was never meant to do.

no, what he is saying is that crossfire cannot claim that they are better than the daily show to prove a point... of course they should be better... but that they need to aim higher than comparing themselves with his comedy program.

steward again and again says that he is on comedy central, that the show before his are puppets making crank phone calls. does that sound like a man that want to be taken like a serious news guy?

Yes, Stewart is saying you guys need to be more serious, but he also doesn't want to be considered a fake news show earlier on. You wanted to agree to disagree above but you don't seem to want to live with that.

Stewart by saying that is hiding behind the comedy of his show there, which is what I said he does, but he also wants to be taken seriously. That's my opinion, I already said you may disagree but it doesn't seem like you're even addressing he got angry at being called fake news, which I believe got him going on slamming them back.

look 731. i will not try to argue this with you. if you belive that that clip and what stewart is saying means in any way that he wants 'daily show' to be taken seriously, then i will go elsewhere.

I would like to know how my posting that I had posted a link was somehow argumentative?

Stewart by saying that is hiding behind the comedy of his show there, which is what I said he does, but he also wants to be taken seriously. That's my opinion, I already said you may disagree but it doesn't seem like you're even addressing he got angry at being called fake news, which I believe got him going on slamming them back.

Looking at the transcript you posted and maybe this is just because I have the upper hand because I have seen the clip a few dozen times, he isn't getting angry, he finds it funny that they are comparing the two shows. I wouldn't go to an opera and complain that everyone is singing, why would you tune into a comedy show and expect to get serious debate and Stewart is the one who is saying that.

Looking at the transcript you posted and maybe this is just because I have the upper hand because I have seen the clip a few dozen times, he isn't getting angry, he finds it funny that they are comparing the two shows. I wouldn't go to an opera and complain that everyone is singing, why would you tune into a comedy show and expect to get serious debate and Stewart is the one who is saying that.

The part at the beginning, where he is called fake news, happens a commercial break before the shows are being compared, I believe. Fake news happens before the comparison of the two shows. I don't think Stewart would argue over the comparison, or get as angry, if he wasn't upset at being, what I think Stewart took as an, insult at being called fake news earlier.

Edit: Ok, so if Stewart doesn't think he is doing news and we all agree on that then why did you say they do some of the best reporting? That's the point, it can't be considered great reporting yet also get to stretch the truth with comedy. The line becomes too blurred as to when they're doing news and when they're doing comedy. Therefore he is doing comedy and the reporting can't be considered great because it's too suspect as comedy.

Edited by Devils731

This is the whole thing, if you get the time to go through it, I would like to know (roughly the minute mark) where you feel he is getting angry. I'm a little confused as to the part you are talking about.

I don't think he intends to do some of the best reporting it just happens. I think it's exactly like you said, since he doesn't have to be politically correct, or pander to any side he is allowed to be more honest and more direct and I think the side effect ends up being some high quality reporting. But maybe the better question is, why aren't the other networks doing this, why aren't they collecting sound bytes and showing where politicians are falling all over themselves, why aren't they "holding peoples feet to the fire" so that politicians actually have to be consistant, be more honest and stop some of the politcal BS that plagues the country. It wont fix it, but it can help.

Stewart was not happy there it was implied he runs a fake news show....even though it's true, because he wants it to be taken seriously.

Are you fvcking kidding me? The "why do we have to fight" line wasn't taking exception to being called a fake news show, it was the beginning of his dressing-down of "talking heads screaming at each other" shows like "Crossfire". Nowhere in that entire transcript does Stewart claim to be anything but a comedy show. Actually, I think he spends a lot more time taking the piss out of the supposed "real news shows" than he does talking about TDS.

Some people may not see it that way but I think he wants to be taken seriously when he makes points but also wants to be allowed to be ridiculous as well, but doesn't want to have to say when he is playing which role so he can always fall back on it just being comedy.

And what exactly is so wrong about that? Comedy shows aren't allowed to be serious once in a while?

Are you fvcking kidding me? The "why do we have to fight" line wasn't taking exception to being called a fake news show, it was the beginning of his dressing-down of "talking heads screaming at each other" shows like "Crossfire". Nowhere in that entire transcript does Stewart claim to be anything but a comedy show. Actually, I think he spends a lot more time taking the piss out of the supposed "real news shows" than he does talking about TDS.

And what exactly is so wrong about that? Comedy shows aren't allowed to be serious once in a while?

It's cooler when you curse.

I take the start differently because I believe Stewart thinks he is a serious man and not just a comedian. It's fine if you disagree but there isn't a reason to rehash what is already going on.

Comedy shows can't be serious once in a while unless they let the viewer know when the comedy part is and when the fact part is. Otherwise the viewer doesn't know when what they are seeing is fact and when it is comedy. I think informed viewers can tell the difference but I think uninformed viewers can not and so end up with false beliefs.

If the Daily Show is a source for viable news, which it can be, then why does it seem impossible for something from Fox News to be viable news?

If the Daily Show is a source for viable news, which it can be, then why does it seem impossible for something from Fox News to be viable news?

ok, i'll bite :)

"If you want to compare your fox news to a comedy show, you're more than welcome to."

'they're fox news. The show that leads into daily show is puppets making crank phone calls.'

Edited by Swede

ok, i'll bite :)

"If you want to compare your fox news to a comedy show, you're more than welcome to."

'they're fox news. The show that leads into daily show is puppets making crank phone calls.'

See, you guys can't have it both ways, The Daily Show can't do better news than the news shows and then also get to play with the facts if they're doing comedy.

What you guys seem to be saying to me is that TDS is a comedy show, yet does the best news at the same time despite the fact they don't have to have as high journalistic standards. To me that is having your cake and eating it to.

I would like to know how my posting that I had posted a link was somehow argumentative?

I still don't see how my pointing out that I had posted a link was trying to force my opinion on Swede?

See, you guys can't have it both ways, The Daily Show can't do better news than the news shows

lets make this clear: daily news is $hit for news, it isn't its a mock news show that sometimes hits something really funny as in this and it should in no way and form be compared with 'real news'

I still don't see how my pointing out that I had posted a link was trying to force my opinion on Swede?

the link didnt... i didnt agree with your take nor understand how you could have come to those conclusions and tried to make you see it differently, but decided to give up arguing it with you

See, you guys can't have it both ways, The Daily Show can't do better news than the news shows and then also get to play with the facts if they're doing comedy.

What you guys seem to be saying to me is that TDS is a comedy show, yet does the best news at the same time despite the fact they don't have to have as high journalistic standards. To me that is having your cake and eating it to.

Maybe it just means the "real" news shows are doing a really sh!tty job at news, which is entirely likely considering most of these shows are more spin than news.

lets make this clear: daily news is $hit for news, it isn't its a mock news show that sometimes hits something really funny as in this and it should in no way and form be compared with 'real news'

at times it is more credible than real news. thats what i was pointing out and that is what the sketch does. It pointed out hypocrisy of the people who are supposed to be reporting news.

at times it is more credible than real news. thats what i was pointing out and that is what the sketch does. It pointed out hypocrisy of the people who are supposed to be reporting news.

paint a clearer picture yes, make a stronger point sure, but as a whole more credible as a news source? never.

comedy is often used to point out hypocrisy, to show holes in arguments, and hopefully it will lead to that people are starting to look more closely to what they hear and trust the people who are shown to be hypocrites less.

Maybe it just means the "real" news shows are doing a really sh!tty job at news, which is entirely likely considering most of these shows are more spin than news.

What is "news" to you? Hit pieces? Tearing people down?

I've been watching all the channels, Fox, and the enemy stations too............and I am finding open debate and coverage of the conventions.

Or do you want hit pieces like US Magazine where they put why Obama loves his wife on the cover and 'Sex, Lies, & Scandal' with her?

I'm not sure I want to bite on this argument. But I will throw out there that I think Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are responsible for the rise in voters and interest for the age group of 18-25.

i think they have a part of it at least

If you want to simply watch the conventions, without anything else, you could just put on C-Span. You get no commentary, of any kind, from anyone, you just get the speeches. Then, you can decide whether you like them or not, all on your own, without someone to tell you anything.

The Daily Show and Colbert Report are reflections of reality. If they weren't, then it wouldn't be funny. The aforementioned "Republicans are all gay" sketch failed miserably because it isn't a reflection of reality. And keep in mind that reflections of reality aren't necessarily reality. And it's the same with all comedy shows like SNL or Mad TV. They take something real, exaggerate it and mock it. But if you are watching SNL, Mad TV or The Daily Show in order to understand the realities of the world around us, you are probably looking in the wrong place.

As for bias, Stewart et al definitely lean toward the Democat PLATFORM, but Stewart has been very, very, very critical of the party in terms of how it tries to convey that platform. He has had Howard Dean on a number of times and has absolutely roasted him. He has been extremely critical of how Democrats have acted over the last few years. Whether it be campaigning on an empty platform in 2006, whether it be the spineless congress with Pelosi and Reid doing nothing but "non-binding resolutions" that do jack-sh!t, or it be the political infighting between the Hillary supporters and the Obama supporters.... Jon has been extremely vocal about the general ineptness of the party leaders. He has great distain for those running the Democratic party even though the things they stand for are much closer to his personal ideology.

If you want to simply watch the conventions, without anything else, you could just put on C-Span. You get no commentary, of any kind, from anyone, you just get the speeches. Then, you can decide whether you like them or not, all on your own, without someone to tell you anything.

If only everyone else was as smart as you Sue. What a novel concept, stay off the Republican sucking Foxoids and the Lib loving, well, everyone else, and make your OWN assessments!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.