The Official Thread for Brian Gionta Rumors

Sharifijanov2099

I say all Gionta rumors go into a unified thread. I think most people are tired of seeing the same unfounded (Eklundian) rumors over and over again about Brian Gionta, rumored to be a Canuck for what seems like years. Personally, knowing NJ, doing this well, they'd rather lose him for nothing rather than upset chemistry going into the playoffs. Doesn't make any sense to trade a guy as a salary dump when you're a contender. Only makes sense if they're upgrading somehow in a deficient area, but that's not generally the theme of Gionta rumors.

A more interesting (and likely) rumor will be how NJ resolves having 3 goaltenders. Looks to me like they have to trade Weekes. I'd assume for something like a draft pick, but probably not higher than 3rd round, but I could be wrong.

the devils can easily carry three goalies - when brodeur comes back, they can send leach, brookbank, or pandolfo to the minors to keep the third one on the roster. if brodeur comes back after the trade deadline, rosters expand then and so the devils won't even need to do that. kevin weekes isn't going to draw much interest in trade, i'd be surprised if the devils could get a 4th round pick for him.

Edited by Triumph

the devils can easily carry three goalies - when brodeur comes back, they can send leach, brookbank, or pandolfo to the minors to keep the third one on the roster. if brodeur comes back after the trade deadline, rosters expand then and so the devils won't even need to do that. kevin weekes isn't going to draw much interest in trade, i'd be surprised if the devils could get a 4th round pick for him.

They can, but why would they?

but clemmer can. and why keep clemmer with Marty? Weekesie is a perfectly capable backup, and Clemmer could land us something nice, like a 2nd (or maybe a 1st if anyone gets desperate) round pick.

Who needs Scott Clemmensen right now, and would dare give a 1st or a 2nd for him. Huet went for a 2nd last year, but the Caps needed more goaltending to compete down the stretch and into the playoffs.

GMs around the league aren't jumping to get a goalie who has benefited immensely from the system.

Teams give up a 1st round pick for guys like Hossa, and Bouwmeester.

Edited by devilsrule33

Who needs Scott Clemmensen right now, and would dare give a 1st or a 2nd for him. Huet went for a 2nd last year, but the Caps needed more goaltending to compete down the stretch and into the playoffs.

GMs around the league aren't jumping to get a goalie who has benefited immensely from the system.

Teams give up a 1st round pick for guys like Hossa, and Bouwmeester.

the comparison is Dwayne Roloson - both in career arc and what was given up to get them at the deadline. The Oilers gave up a 1st to get him in 2006, but the Oilers have never been known to be prudent. The fact is that goaltending has decreased significantly in value between then and now in my view. And, fwiw, the Capitals shipped Montreal a 2009 2nd round pick, which is worth significantly less than a 2008 pick - for 1 year you have no asset at all.

why would they, 26? in case brodeur gets re-injured or something like that.

History has proven that Lou won't trade a guy if he thinks the player in question is key to team chemistry when they are contenders (see also: Scott Gomez). Let Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) and those peckers at the Ottawa Sun make up all the rumors they want ... Gio ain't going anywhere.

Clemmer, on the other hand, is a possibility.

but clemmer can. and why keep clemmer with Marty?

I get nervous about statements like this. Granted, I would love to be wrong but, what happens if Marty isn't in "Marty" Mode for a while?Or at all this season? That was a pretty major injury. I just don't think Marty will come back and immediately not be rusty. But again, I would love to be wrong.

And No, Gio will not be traded. The mere fact that he's being mentioned proves he won't be.

OMG I JUS HERD WE GONNA TRADE GIANTA 4 BOWMISYTER

ugh, there are actually people in this world who think that will happen.

they make comparable amounts of money (gionta 4 mil a season, bouwmeester 4.8) but it's a matter of rising and falling stock.

gionta will not be able to command 4 mil this off-season, period. he only got that much this go round because lucked out and had to renegotiate the summer after he scored those 48 goals. he hasn't even cracked 30 in the seasons since and is projected to have deposited 18 by the end of this one

bouwmeester is also projected to score 18, and he's a defenseman. There's little question that teams are going to be throwing money at him this summer. he'll rake at least $6 million a season wherever he goes.

he'd be a rental, and let's be serious, if we were to go after one of those it would be claude lemieux. obviously.

makes more sense to keep gio and either sign him this offseason for somewhere in the langs/zubes range (about $3 mil) or let him walk if he doesn't produce down the stretch and the playoffs. the thing i like about keeping him is that he'll have extra motivation to produce.

Pando would have to clear wavers, that would never happen

I get your point now, and happen to agree. I went back and read the "Devils sign G SCOTT CLEMMENSON" thread and it made me smile :P

I did that like a week ago.

why would they, 26? in case brodeur gets re-injured or something like that.

Is there a limit to how many players can travel with a team but be scratched? Because if that's the case, couldn't they just carry 3 goalies with them but only dress Marty and the likely backup? And then if Broduer gets re-injured they'll have 2 goalies already in the NHL.