Chico

RockingTheRed81

I was just wondering everyones feelings on Chico Resch.

I like Chico, but give it some time and maybe it'll turn into something special. I don't want either of us to be under too much pressure, ya know? One of you utters the L-word too soon, and the whole thing could explode in your face.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

psh. the detroit guy is terrible. the sharks guy is insightful but has that pierre mcguire weasel-y component to him. greg millen is an idiot - don's made a nice of list of all the retarded things he's said.

chico doesn't tell stories during the playoffs - he knows better.

color men around the league aren't very good. doc and chico make the game intimate - a quality that is quickly disappearing from broadcasters as they head the way of that alien joe buck. but whatever, it's a matter of taste, it sure seems like people around here like him, and that's all that matters.

The bolded parts indicate that you are a teenager. PM if you want a lesson on hockey junior.

I'll give you 12. Ed Olczyk, Peter McNab, Marc Crawford, Harry Neale, Craig Simpson, Greg Millen, Billy Jaffe, Darren Eliot, Andy Brickley, Bob Errey, Daryl Reaugh, and Mike Greenlay.

I didn't include Potvin and Micheletti because their constant complaining about the referees is really annoying. Pang screaming after every great save and big hit is a little obnoxious, I'm not a huge fan of him either. Chico is with them in my bottom 4.

The bolded part indicates that you are a blowhard. Actually, I'm 23. Care to glean my college GPA and my annual salary from my next post, guy?

Anyway, you put Harry Neale on your list so nothing you say from here on in could ever possibly be taken seriously.

The bolded part indicates that you are a blowhard. Actually, I'm 23. Care to glean my college GPA and my annual salary from my next post, guy?

Anyway, you put Harry Neale on your list so nothing you say from here on in could ever possibly be taken seriously.

Posting your high GPA and big salary that seems to indicate you are lacking in other areas. I'm not sure what your salary has to do with your immense lack of hockey knowledge but post away, tiny.

One of my other problems with Chico is when it takes him 4 replays to figure out exactly what happened. After watching Center Ice I personally believe Chico is one of the worst TV color men in the NHL.
You clearly don't watch much out of town hockey if you think Chico is one of the best. Thats the biggest joke I've read in this thread.

Who the hell wants to watch hockey on mute? Watching hockey in surround sound is amazing especially when the crowd is loud. Why should I be punished because Chico is a goofball that rambles?

I actually feel bad bashing him because he such a nice person but thats not what this thread is about.

I would love to put this thread in a the "Hockey Talk" board over at HF and see what non Devils fans think about Chico. I bet it would get ugly.

Alright, maybe he isn't the most accurate at seeing the play alot of times. I have an idea, how about you try and watching the game on a 12" monitor. I wonder if you can see half the sh!t you do on your home theater with your "surround sound". How accurate would you be able to call the game? I understand they have a clear view of the ice also, but you have to understand these guys are reading notes and writing observations at the same time.

Watching the games with Chico gives you a sense of watching them with an old friend just as many others have stated. I find him humorous for many reasons.

I enjoy his side stories. Even if it means it cuts into Doc calling the game sometimes are you telling me you're too inept that you can't even tell what's going on in the game without a PBP guy? The most enjoyable time watching Devils hockey is with Doc and Chico talking about behind the scenes information. I have two eyes and a brain that can tell me what is happening on the ice.

Sure Chico eats is getting a bit raw but I believe that is more due to the producing staff at MSG+ then it does with Chico. Most of last years were pure gold. They do not give the same amount of time toward the segment that they did last year.

If Chico was the Rangers color guy of course I wouldn't love him. He'd be the "Ranger color guy"! Why in hell would I love my enemies "old friend" and want to watch a hockey game with them. Point is most Devils fans love him because of and in spite of his "inaccuracies" calling the game.

Actually for a bonus I decided to look up inaccuracies in the dictionary.

in⋅ac⋅cu⋅ra⋅cy   [in-ak-yer-uh-see] Show IPA

–noun, plural -cies for 1.

1. something inaccurate; error.

2. the quality or state of being inaccurate.

Origin:

1750–60; in- 3 + accuracy

Synonyms:

1. mistake, blunder, slip, inexactitude. 2. incorrectness, erroneousness, inexactness.

I believe Chico makes alot of "Mistakes, Blunders, Slips" but honestly, that just makes me love him more and more. I am dreading the day when Doc and Chico aren't calling the Devils game. The day where the Devils get into one of those "slumps". Where everything on the ice is just going all wrong. As it stands now Doc and Chico can make things ALMOST ok and can make me laugh when we're getting our ass handed to us by a lowly Islanders team. At least with Doc and Chico I can have a smirk on my face all the while being pissed off. Without them, I'd have a destroyed LCD screen, a fiance who would think I was possessed and was talking tongues and alot of homeless neighbors because their apartment building was just burnt to the ground by some psycho.

Ok maybe that's a little too much but you get the idea. Anywho enough of my semi-hungover about to drink again rant. I'm sure most of you get what I'm saying... :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Edited by Coorslight

psh. the detroit guy is terrible. the sharks guy is insightful but has that pierre mcguire weasel-y component to him. greg millen is an idiot - don's made a nice of list of all the retarded things he's said.

chico doesn't tell stories during the playoffs - he knows better.

color men around the league aren't very good. doc and chico make the game intimate - a quality that is quickly disappearing from broadcasters as they head the way of that alien joe buck. but whatever, it's a matter of taste, it sure seems like people around here like him, and that's all that matters.

I think Mickey Redmond is the Wings guy and I didn't list him because Im not a huge fan of the Wings broadcast. He blatantly roots for the Wings but it doesn't have the charm of a Peter Mcnab. He almost sounds like a fan that was put in the booth sometime.

The Sharks guy is Drew Remenda and I think he's pretty good and I don't find him weasel-y at all. He's insightful and not too homerish and at least he knows whats going on as far as on ice play. As where Chico seems lost.

I'm not gonna keep repeating the same stuff. Most Devils fans seem to like Chico and he isn't going anywhere so enjoy him.

There are alot "special posters" on HF but there is also a nice sample of quality hockey fans. I'm pretty sure the knowledgable, reasonable hockey fan does not enjoy Chico.

As a matter of fact I bet they, much like myself, get frustrated listening to him. Even yesterday, Doc was calling the game and the play went offside. Chico cut him off and said I think they are calling a penalty. Then 20 seconds later he says sorry Doc it was just an offside play. It's an honest mistake that I could live with if it only happened occassionally but those mistakes are the norm. It's almost as if he has no idea what's going on half the time which is surprising because he obviously knows the game. Another example from yesterday's game was the Zajac goal.

I, too, watch the Center Ice......and, if you review the game, am pretty positive that it was DOC that called the "may be a penalty", not Chico.

Mike Martin

KC Devil

You clearly don't watch much out of town hockey if you think Chico is one of the best. Thats the biggest joke I've read in this thread.

Who the hell wants to watch hockey on mute? Watching hockey in surround sound is amazing especially when the crowd is loud. Why should I be punished because Chico is a goofball that rambles?

I actually feel bad bashing him because he such a nice person but thats not what this thread is about.

I would love to put this thread in a the "Hockey Talk" board over at HF and see what non Devils fans think about Chico. I bet it would get ugly.

What the hell is your problem? Nice ad hominem attack(s) - you don't even know me.

1) I must not watch hockey so my opinion doesn't count. (How do you know what I do or don't watch?)

2) This is the biggest joke you've read in the thread (Even though several other people have said this and other things similar)

The whole thread is an opinion thread. Yours counts the same as mine - and your personal attacks make you sound like a teenager. Grow up.

Chico is perfect for what he is (in my opinion). I watch enough hockey to know that we're lucky enough. If he's so bad, and my opinion is so weak, why not offer up some other announcers instead of attacking people's opinion. Douche.

What the hell is your problem? Nice ad hominem attack(s) - you don't even know me.

1) I must not watch hockey so my opinion doesn't count. (How do you know what I do or don't watch?)

2) This is the biggest joke you've read in the thread (Even though several other people have said this and other things similar)

The whole thread is an opinion thread. Yours counts the same as mine - and your personal attacks make you sound like a teenager. Grow up.

Chico is perfect for what he is (in my opinion). I watch enough hockey to know that we're lucky enough. If he's so bad, and my opinion is so weak, why not offer up some other announcers instead of attacking people's opinion. Douche.

Listen I don't wanna get into name calling because you live in Iowa, you've suffered enough.

I've already posted 12 color analysts who I think are better than Chico in a previous post.

It's fine if you love listening to Chico's ramblings or his unfunny quips but you called him one of the best. That is why I said your post was a joke. If you wanna call him serviceable thats fine. But one of the best?? Not even close.

Listen I don't wanna get into name calling because you live in Iowa, you've suffered enough.

I've already posted 12 color analysts who I think are better than Chico in a previous post.

It's fine if you love listening to Chico's ramblings or his unfunny quips but you called him one of the best. That is why I said your post was a joke. If you wanna call him serviceable thats fine. But one of the best?? Not even close.

I am saying Chico is perfect for the Devil's. He works well with Doc, and he's entertaining. That's all I care about. I listened to guys like Mickey Redmond and Dave Strater long enough to know how bad it can be... That's all I am trying to say.

Your twelve "better announcers" is just as subjective as anyone elses. You still can't seem to grasp the concept that your "opinion" carries the same weight as anyone elses. You still prefer to attack people instead of saying something constructive. Obviously your mother doesn't love you, and I'm sorry for that.

I live in Iowa because I like to Hunt and Fish. I visit NYC, and other big cities enough to remember why I don't live there. Any time you want to stop please let me know. I'm always looking for someone to mow my lawn or rewire the fence.

There are alot "special posters" on HF but there is also a nice sample of quality hockey fans.

Not on the main board there. It is literally, full of retards.

Let's see the current stimulating topics:

http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60

all of which contain a bunch of idiots arguing with each other and fans crowing about their own teams.

My personal favorite is "Lemaire is a dirtbag". But "Your team's toughest 5 for a line brawl" runs a close second. And that's only the topics, not the breathtaking discussion. I post there, that particular board is a cesspool full of 14 year old kids or 24 year olds with the mentality of a 14 year old.

Did anybody pick up what Chico said during today's game?... I must have a sick mind but here it is...

He was talking about how Parise just missed a goal because he shot it too low. He said, Parise baby, you can't get it up another 6 inches? :giggle:

I wanted this thread to die because I'm feeling bad about trashing Chico because he's such a nice man. But did anyone hear his horrible joke? Lupul just found a loophole in the defense. :noclue: In his credit he did go on to say that was a bad line.

Also, he said that this is the last game they'll be together before the trade deadline. The trade deadline is March 4th and they have a game Tuesday March 3rd against the Leafs. Is he missing the Leafs game or is he just clueless?

The only thing I hate about Chico is he'll pretty much jinx anything going good for the Devils...

Like against the Sharks a few weeks back he was like...Yeah they should watch out the Sharks have 'this many short-handed goals'

What do you know, a Sharks play steals the puck on a 5 on 4 and puts it by Clemmer.

Also, he claims Marty doesn't care if he says 'he looks like he's going to get a shut out' because Marty can't hear him...

I personally think that is really stupid, some people have superstitions, why can't you just shut your mouth when it gets down to the wire.

Other then that I think he's pretty funny guy and he knows what he is talking about, so I have no other problems with the man.

Also, he said that this is the last game they'll be together before the trade deadline. The trade deadline is March 4th and they have a game Tuesday March 3rd against the Leafs. Is he missing the Leafs game or is he just clueless?

Doc might be doing a Versus game that night.

The only thing I hate about Chico is he'll pretty much jinx anything going good for the Devils...

Like against the Sharks a few weeks back he was like...Yeah they should watch out the Sharks have 'this many short-handed goals'

What do you know, a Sharks play steals the puck on a 5 on 4 and puts it by Clemmer.

Also, he claims Marty doesn't care if he says 'he looks like he's going to get a shut out' because Marty can't hear him...

I personally think that is really stupid, some people have superstitions, why can't you just shut your mouth when it gets down to the wire.

Other then that I think he's pretty funny guy and he knows what he is talking about, so I have no other problems with the man.

I guess no one noticed that there was no mention of the shutout today what-so-ever because he even acknowledged that people have superstitions about those things in that game. I think he was just covering himself because he let the "SO" slip as he was commentating...

I wanted this thread to die because I'm feeling bad about trashing Chico because he's such a nice man. But did anyone hear his horrible joke? Lupul just found a loophole in the defense. :noclue: In his credit he did go on to say that was a bad line.

What's the matter you didn't wanna knock on his greasy hands joke too? You must be slipping...

I guess no one noticed that there was no mention of the shutout today what-so-ever because he even acknowledged that people have superstitions about those things in that game. I think he was just covering himself because he let the "SO" slip as he was commentating...

What's the matter you didn't wanna knock on his greasy hands joke too? You must be slipping...

In the word's of Billy Crystal: It's not fun, it's not funny

Since I'm here, I thought of something else that annoys me about Chico. If a player takes a puck or stick to the face Chico screams really loud, "OH NO"! I'm sitting at home thinking that the player lost an eye or broke his neck and it usually turns out to be nothing. Ridiculous.

Since I'm here, I thought of something else that annoys me about Chico. If a player takes a puck or stick to the face Chico screams really loud, "OH NO"! I'm sitting at home thinking that the player lost an eye or broke his neck and it usually turns out to be nothing. Ridiculous.

I actually think its funny when he yells that. If you have watched Devs telecasts long enough you should easily realize its nothing serious if he yells that.. he usually goes more 'crazy' if it was serious (ie: Janssen's hit on Kaberle, he was like "OoOHHHhHHH.. Uhyuhuhyuh.. uhhhhh.. Janssen just hit Kaberle... ughyuhyuh and hes just standing there now waiting...")

In the word's of Billy Crystal: It's not fun, it's not funny

Yeah it's kind of funny. He acts just like a...ummm...I'm trying to think of the word here. Hold on I'll get it, it's right at the tip of my tongue. OH OH OH I GOT IT!!!!! A FAN!!! I know I was yelling at the TV today and screamed "OH NO"! a couple times. Martin took a stick to the mouth and at first it looked worse then it was. Pando slammed into the boards and hmmm it looked worse then it was. My first reaction was "OH NO"!

I think Chico is great. I mean sure he isn't always on the ball and he loses himself sometimes, but its great and he adds some needed humor and lightness to the hockey game. His jokes are fun, his Chico Eats segments are funny (at least I think they are) and he has a great chemistry with Doc. He also adds a good amount of insight on goaltending and when you have the greatest ever, it helps to have a former goalie to point out the little things he's doing so that everyone can appreciate it that much more. I don't think there is a better tandem of announcers in sports than Doc and Chico because of how much fun they seem to be having calling the game. I wouldnt trade Chico for anyone in that position.