Hey Lou & Jeff! Don't Blow It!!

TheIceDog

the 1995 Devils were 22-18-8

and somehow you consider them a powerhouse?

the 92-93 Canadiens were 48-30-6 and yet you consider them to NOT be a powerhouse?

hmmm

But Marty still did not have to carry this team. The Devils really just breezed by the competition. Roy went 10-0 in OT in the 1993 finals and was simply incredible.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay Claude 7, stop drinking the Kool Aid. We all seem to have forgotten how the Devils played the Whalers night after night. Please. Hartford wasn't in Buffalo's division either, but rather the Devils, right sporto? At the very least, be truthful.

Going into tonight's game, Brodeur has averaged 25 shots faced per game. Hasek for his career? 27. So much for the massive disparity in shots faced, eh Claude 7? Again, be truthful in your comments. Please don't perpetuate the lies against Brodeur and the Devils team at large.

Everyone, except you, knows that almost every award, especially the Vezina and Hart, are a popularity contest. You cannot take records away from players nor diminish them as they are concrete evidence of playing well. Marty wasn't respected until after his 3rd Cup win in 2003 when everyone realized that he was pretty much screwed on the Conn Smythe after posting three shutouts in four Cup Final wins.

Prior to that most GM's, writers, etc., never gave Brodeur his proper due always getting sucked into the "It's The System" comments out of other organizations, especially the New York Rangers, who were jealous of Marty and the Devils success. Funny, considering the counter attack philosophy, or for those who were sucked in "the Neutral Zone Trap" statements, was brought to the Devils organization from Jacques Lemaire. Everyone was fine with the same system when Lemaire and the Canadians were winning Cup after Cup. Lemaire was smart enough, after winning 8 Cups in a decade, to coach the Devils using the same system. Then certain people cried, "Foul!" Funny.

In sports once you have success and win, you become a target and rightfullly so. You could see teams gun for New Jersey after their sweep of the powerful Red Wings in '95, even after their successful '94 campaign. Sorry, but when was Buffalo considered a team to beat during the Hasek years? I never said that Buffalo didn't have passionate fans, they obviously do, but you cannot compare the two situations. Hasek had an outstanding '99 season in leading the Sabres to the Cup finals, but unlike Brodeur, Hasek lost his Game 7.

You obviously never played hockey Claude 7, nor any other competitive sports for that matter since you just don't get it. Reminds me of that old saying, "If you cannot be an athlete, at least you can be an athletic supporter." Be well.

GO DEVILS!!! Good luck Marty!!!

tough to write a response to such insane, bewildering ramblings :giggle:

When Hasek was in Buffalo he averaged around 30 shots a game for every 60 minutes of ice time. Those numbers got better as he suited up for some better teams (Detroit and Ottawa) he saw less rubber.

In his career, playoffs and regular season Dominik Hasek has stopped a higher % of pucks he's seen than Martin Brodeur. The people that voted him MVP of the league and best goaltender were not members of the Hasek fan club, it was pretty clear to anybody watching hockey at that time (which you clearly weren't since you have no idea Buffalo didn't lose a 7th game in 99) that he was the best goaltender in hockey.

Hasek is better than Brodeur, it's not debatable.

and in the 2003 cup finals, Brodeur stopped 16 shots in game1, 16 shots in game 2, and 24 shots in game 3. Those are what you call rocking chair games and don't merit a conn smythe.

Edited by '7'

the 1995 Devils were 22-18-8

and somehow you consider them a powerhouse?

the 92-93 Canadiens were 48-30-6 and yet you consider them to NOT be a powerhouse?

hmmm

The Canadiens were still 3rd in their division and 4th in the east overall. Not a powerhouse, a lot of teams fattened up on Ottawa, Hartford, Tampa and SJ that year.

It's amazing how, in the wake of history, this board has to put up with this stupid, narrow minded sonuvabitch. I'll be honest, you're allowed to post whatever bullsh!t your druggy mind throws up, but the other thing is, we're allowed to think you're a single minded moronic dipsh!t. Go off on how Marty's "not that great" after he retires, how he doesn't even play second-fiddle to Hasek... whatever the fvck you want to do... AFTER the season, before the season, on a refular day in mid-november... but not in the waining days before we witness HISTORY. The "ignore" button is quite an easy feature, so I don't have to deal with you anymore, but for the sake of the rest of the board, shut. the. FVCK. up.

Keep clinging to 94, dickinabox.

well said, the history Brodeur is making should be spoken about with nothing but respect. Hasek is no factor in this and even Patrick Roy showed nothing but respect to Marty. love the 94 reference.

In sports once you have success and win, you become a target and rightfullly so. You could see teams gun for New Jersey after their sweep of the powerful Red Wings in '95, even after their successful '94 campaign. Sorry, but when was Buffalo considered a team to beat during the Hasek years? I never said that Buffalo didn't have passionate fans, they obviously do, but you cannot compare the two situations. Hasek had an outstanding '99 season in leading the Sabres to the Cup finals, but unlike Brodeur, Hasek lost his Game 7.

If we want to talk about game 7's setting goalies apart, then 2001 is a big reason why Roy still has to get the nod as being better than Brodeur. Roy still has that 4th cup that still missing from Marty's mantle, and he won it head to head against him. Plus Roy has an almost unbreakable playoff wins total. 151 playoff wins! Are you kidding? If you won the cup 9 times in a row you'd still come up short.

It's amazing how, in the wake of history, this board has to put up with this stupid, narrow minded sonuvabitch. I'll be honest, you're allowed to post whatever bullsh!t your druggy mind throws up, but the other thing is, we're allowed to think you're a single minded moronic dipsh!t. Go off on how Marty's "not that great" after he retires, how he doesn't even play second-fiddle to Hasek... whatever the fvck you want to do... AFTER the season, before the season, on a refular day in mid-november... but not in the waining days before we witness HISTORY. The "ignore" button is quite an easy feature, so I don't have to deal with you anymore, but for the sake of the rest of the board, shut. the. FVCK. up.

:thumbsup:

Yea, I dont even get these stupid debates myself. Can't some just acknowlege that what Marty has and is doing is amazing and leave it at that?

I can come up with a bunch of reasons why Marty is better than Roy or Hasek or Roy is better than Marty, etc.. But who cares? Now, I go back to my coffee.

tough to write a response to such insane, bewildering ramblings :giggle:

When Hasek was in Buffalo he averaged around 30 shots a game for every 60 minutes of ice time. Those numbers got better as he suited up for some better teams (Detroit and Ottawa) he saw less rubber.

In his career, playoffs and regular season Dominik Hasek has stopped a higher % of pucks he's seen than Martin Brodeur. The people that voted him MVP of the league and best goaltender were not members of the Hasek fan club, it was pretty clear to anybody watching hockey at that time (which you clearly weren't since you have no idea Buffalo didn't lose a 7th game in 99) that he was the best goaltender in hockey.

Hasek is better than Brodeur, it's not debatable.

and in the 2003 cup finals, Brodeur stopped 16 shots in game1, 16 shots in game 2, and 24 shots in game 3. Those are what you call rocking chair games and don't merit a conn smythe.

Claude 7, only you consider them "insane, bewildering ramblings", obviously they are beyond your comprehension.

Please, everybody was on the Hasek bandwagon back then because it was a feel good story. Also, most were anti-Devils in that era because New Jersey wasn't the high scoring machine like their Stanley Cup predecessors: the Canadiens, Islanders, Oilers, Penguins and the Devs were able to knock off the President's Trophy winning powerful Detroit Red Wings in a four game sweep!

The Devils had an outstanding young netminder named Martin Brodeur, a tough and physical "D" and very little offense, but were skilled in their counter attack methods and made the most of their opportunities. You are trying to get people to believe that is wasn't Brodeur for the Devils success, huh? Yeah, I guess the Devils would have swept the mighty Wings with a Chris Terreri, a Craig Billington or even a Corey Schwab, right? Please.

I don't recall Hasek winning the Calder Trophy (Rookie of the Year Award) like Brodeur. I don't recall Hasek leading his club to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals as a rookie (and if it wasn't for a bad play by Slava Fetisov in deflecting Stephane Matteu's centering attempt Marty would have led the Devils to the Finals, where it wouldn't have taken them seven games to defeat the Canucks. Oh, and sorry Ranger fans and all of your New York City spin on everything, but Matteu didn't score on a wraparound, but rather his shot/pass was deflected past Marty by Fetisov. Watch the replay and for those of us Devils fans who were sitting there it was clear as day. Slava blew it). I also don't recall Hasek leading his team to the 2nd best record in the league as a rookie as Brodeur did with the Devils.

In the 2003 playoffs Brodeur had an astounding seven, yes 7, shutouts, including three (3) in the Finals. Jean-Sebastian Giguere had only five and three of those were against the offensively challenged Minnesota Wild. So Claude 7, tell us again how the awards are not biased and how Giguere was more deserving than Brodeur?

I proudly attended all four home games during the 2003 Finals and one game in Anaheim and I wouldn't call any of them "rocking chair" contests. There will be nothing like Marty stonewalling and shutting out Anaheim in that Game 7 classic (although that Game 4 in '95 may top it!) And you call yourself a hockey fan?

You are obviously not a Devils fan nor a true hockey fan. You are one of those bottom feeders who hopes that by repeating lies often enough others will believe them as fact. Sorry, but the fans on this board are smarter than you and can see through your bull$hit.

I will give a slight tip of the cap since I honestly didn't think you would have picked up on the fact that Hasek lost in OT in Game 6 of the '99 Finals, although I'm certain you referenced it, which is fine. I'll still give you the nod because, well, with all due respect, you're just not too bright.

For all the true and honest Devils fans:

ENJOY SAINT PADDY'S DAY EVENING AT THE ROCK AS WE CELEBRATE YET ANOTHER HISTORICAL MOMENT IN THE CAREER OF MR. MARTIN BRODEUR AS WELL AS FOR THE DEVILS TEAM. WE'LL BE CELEBRATING OUR NETMINDER REACHING THE PINNACLE AND THE RANGERS, WELL.........PERHAPS THEY CAN CELEBRATE WINNING A HOCKEY GAME.

GO DEVILS!!! GO MARTY!!!

I'm still waiting for Martin to carry an average team on his back to a cup final as Roy did TWICE (1986 & 1993) while standing on his head and facing a barrage of shots.

Also, look at the mediocre rosters that Hasek played with, he dragged that team into the playoffs and won rounds they had no business winning...sometimes stopping 40 or more shots.

You can say that for the 86s Canadiens, they had a bunch of rookies (Lemieux, Richer, Roy..) mixed up with veterans (Naslund, Gainey, Robinson ect..) they had a soso team.

As for the 1993 team, the Canadiens had a bunch of 70+pts players,(Muller, Damphousse, ect) and.. Well, they had a good defense.

But still, Roy was an important reason why they won the cup. But to say they were averages teams.. I'd say Roy was average during that 1992-1993 season. But he completly played out of his mind. (I think they had 11 over-times WINS , )

The 1993 team faced the Nordiques, Sabres, Islanders(Who upset'd the Pens) , Kings..

Lets say those were also average "teams" .. Hrudey lol

Edited by TravisZajac

Claude 7, only you consider them "insane, bewildering ramblings", obviously they are beyond your comprehension.

Please, everybody was on the Hasek bandwagon back then because it was a feel good story. Also, most were anti-Devils in that era because New Jersey wasn't the high scoring machine like their Stanley Cup predecessors: the Canadiens, Islanders, Oilers, Penguins and the Devs were able to knock off the President's Trophy winning powerful Detroit Red Wings in a four game sweep!

The Devils had an outstanding young netminder named Martin Brodeur, a tough and physical "D" and very little offense, but were skilled in their counter attack methods and made the most of their opportunities. You are trying to get people to believe that is wasn't Brodeur for the Devils success, huh? Yeah, I guess the Devils would have swept the mighty Wings with a Chris Terreri, a Craig Billington or even a Corey Schwab, right? Please.

I don't recall Hasek winning the Calder Trophy (Rookie of the Year Award) like Brodeur. I don't recall Hasek leading his club to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals as a rookie (and if it wasn't for a bad play by Slava Fetisov in deflecting Stephane Matteu's centering attempt Marty would have led the Devils to the Finals, where it wouldn't have taken them seven games to defeat the Canucks. Oh, and sorry Ranger fans and all of your New York City spin on everything, but Matteu didn't score on a wraparound, but rather his shot/pass was deflected past Marty by Fetisov. Watch the replay and for those of us Devils fans who were sitting there it was clear as day. Slava blew it). I also don't recall Hasek leading his team to the 2nd best record in the league as a rookie as Brodeur did with the Devils.

In the 2003 playoffs Brodeur had an astounding seven, yes 7, shutouts, including three (3) in the Finals. Jean-Sebastian Giguere had only five and three of those were against the offensively challenged Minnesota Wild. So Claude 7, tell us again how the awards are not biased and how Giguere was more deserving than Brodeur?

I proudly attended all four home games during the 2003 Finals and one game in Anaheim and I wouldn't call any of them "rocking chair" contests. There will be nothing like Marty stonewalling and shutting out Anaheim in that Game 7 classic (although that Game 4 in '95 may top it!) And you call yourself a hockey fan?

You are obviously not a Devils fan nor a true hockey fan. You are one of those bottom feeders who hopes that by repeating lies often enough others will believe them as fact. Sorry, but the fans on this board are smarter than you and can see through your bull$hit.

I will give a slight tip of the cap since I honestly didn't think you would have picked up on the fact that Hasek lost in OT in Game 6 of the '99 Finals, although I'm certain you referenced it, which is fine. I'll still give you the nod because, well, with all due respect, you're just not too bright.

For all the true and honest Devils fans:

ENJOY SAINT PADDY'S DAY EVENING AT THE ROCK AS WE CELEBRATE YET ANOTHER HISTORICAL MOMENT IN THE CAREER OF MR. MARTIN BRODEUR AS WELL AS FOR THE DEVILS TEAM. WE'LL BE CELEBRATING OUR NETMINDER REACHING THE PINNACLE AND THE RANGERS, WELL.........PERHAPS THEY CAN CELEBRATE WINNING A HOCKEY GAME.

GO DEVILS!!! GO MARTY!!!

Well, as you watched the 1994 playoffs through the bars of your crib, did you ever consider the fact that if Marty didn't give up those softies in game 6 to Kovalev and Messier that we wouldn't have even needed to play a game 7? Or if Terreri didn't save our asses in games 3 and 4 after two bad games by Brodeur (plus win the clincher in Boston) that we wouldn't have even gotten to the ECF?

Nobody know what the Devils would have done without Brodeur. But I've seen Chris Osgood and Cam Ward win cups...I've seen Scott Clemmensen step in this year and the team didn't miss a beat.

The Ducks scored a grand total of 5 more goals than the Wild that year. They had maybe 3 good scoring chances in games 1 and 2 combined.

Edited by '7'

It's really scary when I have Rangers fans congratulating me telling me they have tremendous respect for Marty and that it's well deserved... and then I go to a Devils boards and see a Devils fan defending Roy/Hasek like his sister's cherry. :noclue: They are talking about Marty's greatness everywhere, I turn on the TV and see guys on On the Fly praising Marty, he's everywhere on NHL.com, TSN.ca etc., Roy fans in Montreal gave him a staning O... So please, stop talking sh!t during that historic moment.

When Marty retires with possibly over 700 wins and 120 shutouts (whoa) and maybe an extra Stanley Cup and/or Olympic Gold... There will be no debate.

Well, as you watched the 1994 playoffs through the bars of your crib, did you ever consider the fact that if Marty didn't give up those softies in game 6 to Kovalev and Messier that we wouldn't have even needed to play a game 7? Or if Terreri didn't save our asses in games 3 and 4 after two bad games by Brodeur (plus win the clincher in Boston) that we wouldn't have even gotten to the ECF?

Nobody know what the Devils would have done without Brodeur. But I've seen Chris Osgood and Cam Ward win cups...I've seen Scott Clemmensen step in this year and the team didn't miss a beat.

The Ducks scored a grand total of 5 more goals than the Wild that year. They had maybe 3 good scoring chances in games 1 and 2 combined.

Yeah, my bad. Brodeur will undoubtedly finish his career with every record imaginable, but of course it was not because of his superior talent. Sadly, even if you do not like a player you should at least give them their due.

Look at your avatar for example. I know that Claude Lemieux is a punk and most definitely deserved the a$$ kicking that Darren McCarty gave him in '97. The beating of The Turtle was revenge for Lemieux's cheap shot on Kris Draper in the playoffs the previous year. I can still see McCarty pummel the stuffing out of Claude like it was yesterday, but I will say that Claude was an effective playoff performer, and credit him for such.

The beatdown of Lemiuex that evening led to this comment: "Detroit won the Stanley Cup that night," confessed Colorado goalie Patrick Roy.

Can anyone forget those images of Claude "The Turtle" Lemieux? I know I can't. For those who are interested, the link is below:

I have a nice still photo of the event which Darren McCarty so graciously signed. Unfortunately I could not get Claude The Turtle to pen his autograph, I even tried again last month when San Jose was in town. I did, however, get a smirk out of Joe Thornton who just stared at The Turtle before shaking his head a bit.

Well Claude 7, when it's all said and done you and the rest of the Ranger fans will stand alone. Everyone else will acknowlege Martin Brodeur with his boat load of records as the game's greatest goaltender. There are some things in sports that even you cannot tarnish.

Yeah, my bad. Brodeur will undoubtedly finish his career with every record imaginable, but of course it was not because of his superior talent. Sadly, even if you do not like a player you should at least give them their due.

Look at your avatar for example. I know that Claude Lemieux is a punk and most definitely deserved the a$$ kicking that Darren McCarty gave him in '97. The beating of The Turtle was revenge for Lemieux's cheap shot on Kris Draper in the playoffs the previous year. I can still see McCarty pummel the stuffing out of Claude like it was yesterday, but I will say that Claude was an effective playoff performer, and credit him for such.

The beatdown of Lemiuex that evening led to this comment: "Detroit won the Stanley Cup that night," confessed Colorado goalie Patrick Roy.

Can anyone forget those images of Claude "The Turtle" Lemieux? I know I can't. For those who are interested, the link is below:

I have a nice still photo of the event which Darren McCarty so graciously signed. Unfortunately I could not get Claude The Turtle to pen his autograph, I even tried again last month when San Jose was in town. I did, however, get a smirk out of Joe Thornton who just stared at The Turtle before shaking his head a bit.

Well Claude 7, when it's all said and done you and the rest of the Ranger fans will stand alone. Everyone else will acknowlege Martin Brodeur with his boat load of records as the game's greatest goaltender. There are some things in sports that even you cannot tarnish.

Well you've pretty much proven to everybody that you are an immature, highly emotional, feeble minded child who knows nothing about hockey, past or present. I don't see why Claude Lemieux deserves this considering he was a bigger piece of the 1995 cup than Marty...and I don't know how you keep churning these out while being comfortably secured in your straight jacket. Maybe you peck with your nose or something.

your logic is totally off. Compiling records doesn't mean anything. Dave Andreychuk has more career goals and points than Mike Bossy. Clearly he was a better player tham Bossy. :rolleyes: This is the same stupidity you use in the Brodeur vs. Hasek argument.

facts are facts, Hasek has a higher career save percentage in the playoffs and regular season, faced more shots, better scoring chances, and played on worse teams. He has the Vezinas and League MVP's. You're wrong. But I look forward to your next rant. Keep making yourself look stupid.

Edited by '7'

Well you've pretty much proven to everybody that you are an immature, highly emotional, feeble minded child who knows nothing about hockey, past or present. I don't see why Claude Lemieux deserves this considering he was a bigger piece of the 1995 cup than Marty...and I don't know how you keep churning these out while being comfortably secured in your straight jacket. Maybe you peck with your nose or something.

your logic is totally off. Compiling records doesn't mean anything. Dave Andreychuk has more career goals and points than Mike Bossy. Clearly he was a better player tham Bossy. :rolleyes: This is the same stupidity you use in the Brodeur vs. Hasek argument.

facts are facts, Hasek has a higher career save percentage in the playoffs and regular season, faced more shots, better scoring chances, and played on worse teams. He has the Vezinas and League MVP's. You're wrong. But I look forward to your next rant. Keep making yourself look stupid.

Compiling records means everything when you combine them with winning, something you are obviously not familiar with, but hey, what can you do?

Feel secure in your bashing of Brodeur, but do try to stay on your meds.

Thank you for the nature lesson Claude 7, for now I know why mother's eat their young.

it was a powerhouse. they went to game 7 of the ECF in 1994 and just completely ran over teams in the 1995 playoffs. Brodeur really didn't have to steal a single game. Maybe you could argue the McKay game 4 but that's it.

In game 1 of the cup finals he faced 17 shots, he regularly faced paltry shot totals throughout those playoffs. The Devils offense broke out and averaged over 3 goals a game in the playoffs.

Powerhouse?????? Their record was 22-18-8 going into the playoffs as a #5 seed. Wow.......intimidating!!!!!!

Mike Martin

KC Devil

Compiling records means everything when you combine them with winning, something you are obviously not familiar with, but hey, what can you do?

Feel secure in your bashing of Brodeur, but do try to stay on your meds.

Thank you for the nature lesson Claude 7, for now I know why mother's eat their young.

How about compiling meaningful playoff records?

Brodeur has let in more soft playoff goals in recent years than I care to remember. To me, great goaltenders steal playoff games. They don't put their team behind letting in the soft ones.

No doubt he's one of the greatest goal tenders of all times, but in the pursuit of wins, he looks to have tired himself out annually for the playoffs. As a fan of the team, I'd gladly trade Marty's records for better playoff performance.

As for the the posters attacking 7 and others for having a discussion of Marty vs. other players, especially those doing it with expletive laden rants, grow up. It's a discussion -- if you don't like it, don't read the thread.

- Jeff

Edited by jsonnabend

Powerhouse?????? Their record was 22-18-8 going into the playoffs as a #5 seed. Wow.......intimidating!!!!!!

Mike Martin

KC Devil

They were a 106 point team the season before and 2nd in the NHL in goal scoring, and were coming back with pretty much the exact same roster.

there should also be ideas in the works for a commemorative program, DVD, etc.

God I hope they put out a DVD of Marty's career when all is said and done.

Plus and additional one about the history of the Devils would be great as well.

7, you had me and then you lost me. This post seems like you're implying that Brodeur is like Osgood or Ward or Clemmensen. Not the case at all. Brodeur is without a doubt one of the greatest of all time. His consistency year in and year and out is unreal. The 50 game sample with Clemmensen shows nothing. This years team is a solid 2 way club. Before Clemmer's 2 shutouts I think the Devils won 2 or 3 games all year when scoring less than 3 goals. The Devils can win 1-0 and 2-1 games with Marty in net. I don't think you can say the same about Clemmer. Without a doubt, you can make a strong case for Roy being the greatest of all time over Brodeur, Hasek too. Let's not diminish Brodeur's accomplishments with a Kyydaxian psycho-rant.

7, you had me and then you lost me. This post seems like you're implying that Brodeur is like Osgood or Ward or Clemmensen. Not the case at all. Brodeur is without a doubt one of the greatest of all time. His consistency year in and year and out is unreal. The 50 game sample with Clemmensen shows nothing. This years team is a solid 2 way club. Before Clemmer's 2 shutouts I think the Devils won 2 or 3 games all year when scoring less than 3 goals. The Devils can win 1-0 and 2-1 games with Marty in net. I don't think you can say the same about Clemmer. Without a doubt, you can make a strong case for Roy being the greatest of all time over Brodeur, Hasek too. Let's not diminish Brodeur's accomplishments with a Kyydaxian psycho-rant.

I didn't mean anybody could've won a cup behind those teams...we just don't know the results if we didn't have him.

and good goalies have won cups in the right situation, you don't need to be great. Richter, Barrasso, and Vernon were not great netminders.

but looking back it's not insane to think Hasek would've gotten the same or better results with our team.

Hasek and Roy dominated the 90s, and when Marty hit his prime, he dominated the 00s, so what ?

I doubt Roy would have had the sucess he had in his career if he'd stayed with the Habs..

I mean, the same could be said to Marty if the Devils haven't had the sucess they had, even though, Marty'S the reason of the Devils sucess for the last 15years or so.

Absolutely Right.

It never gets old when a noob falls into 7's trap :lol:

I don't care who he is, or how many "senior posters" he's knows. The timing of this debate is idiotic, especially on a Devils Board. Whether or not the argument holds water is moot the point is appreciating the moment.

EVERY Devils fan should be relishing this week, and saving this debate for when the season is over.

I think this says a lot about our fanbase, we are in the midst of numerous records and milestones this season. We can never truly appreciate what we have.

Our season was saved after certain catestrophic doom....and we're talking about Dominic Hasek and roy like this was a TSN blog full of Habs fans.