Brodeur won't start vs. Lightning

Devils731

This has zip, zilch and nothing to do with 'sending a message', I don't get why that's so hard for people to comprehend. Marty can't sit out a game (finally) without there being an ulterior motive?

We're in the middle of six games in ten days, it would have been lunacy NOT to sit Marty in at least one of the back-to-backs, especially considering he's looked tired the last couple of games. Sutter gave him a choice of which game, he wasn't showing him up.

Besides it's the smart hockey decision to play Weekes against Tampa, who he's 2-0 against rather than Buffalo who he's 0-3 against, plus you'd rather have your #1 goalie go up against the better team anyway. And it would be infinitely harder to play Weekes Saturday with a seven-game losing streak if the team ever did lose tomorrow with Marty in net.

When we've seen for 15 years now "I'm fine... I can play every game"... and he FINALLY sits a 2-game split when he SHOULD... something seems weird about it.... just the irony in a night that was planned to be ABOUT HIM and now he's sitting...it's easy to crank up the conspiracy thoughts

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has zip, zilch and nothing to do with 'sending a message', I don't get why that's so hard for people to comprehend. Marty can't sit out a game (finally) without there being an ulterior motive?

We're in the middle of six games in ten days, it would have been lunacy NOT to sit Marty in at least one of the back-to-backs, especially considering he's looked tired the last couple of games. Sutter gave him a choice of which game, he wasn't showing him up.

Besides it's the smart hockey decision to play Weekes against Tampa, who he's 2-0 against rather than Buffalo who he's 0-3 against, plus you'd rather have your #1 goalie go up against the better team anyway. And it would be infinitely harder to play Weekes Saturday with a seven-game losing streak if the team ever did lose tomorrow with Marty in net.

Hey Im all for a well rested Marty Has .. but it sure doesnt sound like that's the reason even thought that's what theyre outwardly saying.

Marty can't sit out a game (finally) without there being an ulterior motive?

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!! No need for me to post. You said brother. Amen.

Ok dad -- explain why your opinion is correct and my opinion is wrong ....

Well, because changing your starting goalie has a massively larger impact on a team than letting your assistant coach, who draws up the plays anyway, be head coach for a game.

Thats why, my little girl.

the only way you really get out of these things it to win a horribly ugly game... hate to tell ya.... tomorrow will NOT be pretty

What I want is to be able to say they did this or that better than they've been doing it; better fundamentals, fewer stupid penalties and decisions. The score doesn't matter as much as how they play. You couldn't ask for a better setup for them. There's too many things going on with marty sittng and the locker room shuffle and 6 straight and all for them to even register that ol Vinny is out of the lineup. Tampa shouldn't register to them at all - just play the way they can play and the game will come to them. They don't have anything to fear from Tampa.

I agree it's not likely to be a pretty one and expect a lot of "this is friggin' TAMPA! Bury them!!!' comments. But this isn't the game that solves all the problems. This is the perfect game to set them up to be solved though; the one where the team comes out of it feeling they've turned the corner and give them a base on which to improve themselves.

Focusing on the result is bad (we have to beat Tampa, crikey!). Just play the game, play smart and in control and they'll win the game.

Sheesh, didn't mean to write a book...

Well, because changing your starting goalie has a massively larger impact on a team than letting your assistant coach, who draws up the plays anyway, be head coach for a game.

Thats why, my little girl.

Gee I never knew my dad was such an assh0le

So which is it -- is this a statement or is it rest.... please let us know ...

You're about as sharp as a bowling ball.

dude - give it a rest -- 90 posts and youre already insulting people...

Gee I never knew my dad was such an assh0le

So which is it -- is this a statement or is it rest.... please let us know ...

dude - give it a rest -- 90 posts and youre already insulting people...

Well when someone says something idiotic, Im going to point that out.

Why dont you explain to everyone how having an assistant coach be hc for a game is more significant than starting a different goalie.

Well when someone says something idiotic, Im going to point that out.

Why dont you explain to everyone how having an assistant coach be hc for a game is more significant than starting a different goalie.

Are you self appointed judge on this board? with less then 100 posts you have beat out a lot of people --

Having the head coach step down would make a big impact - especially to the players psyche .. having a back up goalie start a game is common place and hardly guarantees anything (see game after 552 for further proof)

You know what they say about opinions... :rolleyes:

Are you self appointed judge on this board? with less then 100 posts you have beat out a lot of people --

Having the head coach step down would make a big impact - especially to the players psyche .. having a back up goalie start a game is common place and hardly guarantees anything (see game after 552 for further proof)

You know what they say about opinions... :rolleyes:

That you like it in yours? ooohhh! (andrew dice clay voice)

When we've seen for 15 years now "I'm fine... I can play every game"... and he FINALLY sits a 2-game split when he SHOULD... something seems weird about it.... just the irony in a night that was planned to be ABOUT HIM and now he's sitting...it's easy to crank up the conspiracy thoughts

Contrary to popular belief, Marty does not play 100% of the time...maybe 98.5%. He did sit in Carolina a couple weeks ago when he 'should' have too. This weekend is the last chance to get him any rest before the playoffs.

He's playing five out of ten nights and gets honored on one of the others, I'd say that's more than enough to satisfy him :P

Edited by Hasan4978

Contrary to popular belief, Marty does not play 100% of the time...maybe 98.5%. He did sit in Carolina a couple weeks ago when he 'should' have too. This weekend is the last chance to get him any rest before the playoffs.

He's playing five out of ten nights and gets honored on one of the others, I'd say that's more than enough to satisfy him :P

This is the first time Ive read your Burns' siggy ... wow

I know why/what hes doing but I dont agree... Marty is not the reason why this team is struggling and I concurr, these are grown men and professional athletes with egos and funks. I see his inability to motivate this team thru this stretch concerning and he would lose me as a supporter in the locker room if I saw him doing that to one of my team mates- imo

Marty is *part* of it though,and if you're going to send a message - keeping in mind that being nice didn't work, reading the riot act didn't work - you have to send one that's going to be noticed. Sitting Rupp, or Rolston, isn't going to be noticed given the other attempts didn't work.

So we sit the goalie on a night he's honored and play musical lockers and see if people can wake the fvck up. Is it more than a little a case of throwing sh!t at the wall and seeing if it sticks? Yeah, I think so.

But doing nothing isn't going to fix things; there's not enough time for that. So, we'll see. I'm not convinced it's going to work either, but I'm willing to give Sutter props for raising the game a bit.

Had we not already seen him try other things first, I'd think this a bit extreme. However at this point...notsomuch.