Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

Jon Heyman tweeted this, very interesting.... "mets rejected request of package of f-mart, niese, parnell and ruben tejada for halladay"

maybe its just me... but thats not a bad deal since the mets would hang onto ike davis, brad holt, jenrry mejia, and wilmer flores.. i mean fmart is their #1 prospect, but niese is definitely behind holt/mejia and tejada is behind all of them.... and the mets could always lock up halladay to an extension.. but i guess not though; something tells me if the mets had plans to extend halladay they would have made the deal... or maybe if they were just in contention this year that would be a done deal.

Edited by nmigliore

the 300 level outfield seats (pepsi porch, and the left field equivalents) are the best value seats in the park. great view.

agreed; if you are going for best value its definitely the pepsi porch.. and the food stands and merchandise stands are all right above the seating area, its great.

mets are actually SCORING RUNS.. I cant believe it.. 5-0!

If that deal was indeed rejected by the Mets, how the fvck do you not accept that? You would have Doc and Johan as the best one - two in the history of baseball. Those guys are friggen prospects that might not even pan out and you turn down a chance to have the best rotation in baseball. I really hope that's not true. Parnell sucked, F mart struggled up here (though by no means does that make him a bust), and Niese looks like he'll be another backend pitcher. If i'm the mets I make that trade and would still do it if Toronto asked to take Wells and his salary too. For god sakes we are not going to turn into the A's over night by holding on to these kids. Run the team like there from New York not North Dakota. Omar is probably being cheap thinking he'll get the steal of the century trade like he did with Johan.

If that deal was indeed rejected by the Mets, how the fvck do you not accept that? You would have Doc and Johan as the best one - two in the history of baseball.

true, but hes basically just a rental for 2010... i dont care what anyone says, even if the mets made this deal, it would NOT help them that much this year .. he could pitch a GEM every start and still lose with this lineup. after thinking this over, i would have done the deal if: 1) the mets were within striking distance of a playoff spot AND were healthy, or 2) the Mets had plans to extend Halladay's contract.

Those guys are friggen prospects that might not even pan out and you turn down a chance to have the best rotation in baseball. I really hope that's not true. Parnell sucked, F mart struggled up here (though by no means does that make him a bust), and Niese looks like he'll be another backend pitcher.

I like Parnell, hes going to be another Heath Bell/Matt Lidstrom if hes traded, watch.. of course though if it was the right deal I would do it, likewise for Niese.. FMart wasn't good, but hes 20 years old and I feel it would be a huge mistake to give this guy away for a 1-year rental.

The deal wouldn't have been that bad for the Mets.. but again, if you think about it, its only helps for 2010 OR if you could pony up the cash to extend Halladay, but we all know the Coupons aren't going to pay for 2 aces (Santana, Halladay).. so basically it would be 2010 or bust for the Mets... I rather not take that risk if I have to give up FMart.

If i'm the mets I make that trade and would still do it if Toronto asked to take Wells and his salary too. For god sakes we are not going to turn into the A's over night by holding on to these kids. Run the team like there from New York not North Dakota. Omar is probably being cheap thinking he'll get the steal of the century trade like he did with Johan.

Wells would be a disaster; hes not hitting like he should be and his contract is terrible.

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah, I would think they would re-up Halladay if they traded for him. This move wouldn't be for this year, it's for the future.

I agree completely man but the problem is that I dont think they have plans on extending him, hence why they probably aren't making this deal. I mean if you look at the deal its not bad at all; like I said before, you do obviously give up your #1 prospect but you still keep BOTH of your top pitching prospects Jenrry Mejia and Brad Holt as well as other great hitting prospects like Wilmer Flores (this guy is getting better by the day), Ike Davis, and Jefry Marte.

Edited by nmigliore

I'd be on the fence with that proposed trade for Halladay. FMart would be the most difficult to part with because of his projected upside...but we have lived through Alex Escobar, Alex Ochoa and a slew of others. Let's just hope he doesn't end up on Philly or with that other NY team.

Another outing like this from Livan and he might be able to fetch something at the deadline.

I don't see how they cant re-sign him if they made the trade. Like I said for a team in NY in a no cap league, money shouldn't even be considered as a reason not to trade for the best pitcher in baseball.

I agree, if they could extend Halladay they should have done it.. but I dont think feel they could extend him due to $$$ issues and the Wilpons (aka Coupons) have been cheap asses all of a sudden since this Madoff crap, and I think that is the main why the Mets shot down the deal.. I think the Coupons lost $700 million or something like that in the Madoff scheme..

Edited by nmigliore

I'd be on the fence with that proposed trade for Halladay. FMart would be the most difficult to part with because of his projected upside...but we have lived through Alex Escobar, Alex Ochoa and a slew of others. Let's just hope he doesn't end up on Philly or with that other NY team.

Another outing like this from Livan and he might be able to fetch something at the deadline.

Unfortunately for Livan, his overall numbers are bolstered by what he does against the Nats (3-0, 1.17 ERA this season). He's 3-5 against everyone else, and his ERA is well over 5.00 against everyone else as well. GMs and scouts will take notice of that.

As for Halladay, provided the Mets are willing to shell out the big money to lock him up, I'd do that deal in a heartbeat...I've seen far too many Met "can't miss" prospects go belly-up and not live up to the hype. Halladay is an absolute. I'm not doing that deal for a year-and-a-half of Halladay though...he's got to be here long-term.

I don't see how they cant re-sign him if they made the trade. Like I said for a team in NY in a no cap league, money shouldn't even be considered as a reason not to trade for the best pitcher in baseball.

What makes you guys think Halladay automatically wants to come to NY? It takes two willing parties to work out a contract, that's why emptying the farm system for a year and a half (really a year) is a risk. We don't know if Halladay will sign with the Mets.

What makes you guys think Halladay automatically wants to come to NY? It takes two willing parties to work out a contract, that's why emptying the farm system for a year and a half (really a year) is a risk. We don't know if Halladay will sign with the Mets.

the wilpons wont even try to extend his contract anyway, im sure of it. thats why making that deal would've been way too risky (again it makes it 2010 or bust for the mets).

also dont forget halladay has to accept the deal because he has a no trade clause... he wants to go to a team that is contending.. and lets be realistic; the mets aren't contenders this year.

That is a very good point. I did not take that into consideration however I think Halladay would sign here if we gave him the money. I'm sure he would see the potential of pitching with Santana, playing in NY, a brand new ballpark (which is a big plus as a pitchers park), playing on what would be a contender and lots of money.

That's why I said that the Mets have to have some kind of verbal agreement with Halladay in place, that he'll sign to stay long-term (even if the contract isn't signed until later). Otherwise you're basically making next year a make-or-break season...this season's already shot.

That's why I said that the Mets have to have some kind of verbal agreement with Halladay in place, that he'll sign to stay long-term (even if the contract isn't signed until later). Otherwise you're basically making next year a make-or-break season...this season's already shot.

exactly, and i think the wilpons must've hinted to minaya that they have no plans of extending his contract.. as far as i know halladay isn't allowed to speak to other teams until July 31st, so i would guess its more of the wilpons not wanting to owe up $$$ for an extension opposed to halladay not wanting to come here.

i really dont have an issue with passing on this deal (assuming the mets wouldn't extend halladay), it makes it 2010 or bust if you get him and i rather not give up our #1 prospect with other good prospects for that..

Edited by nmigliore

well i said i would make a write-up like this and so i figured now would be a nice time to do it..

lol's Minor League Report - Whats In AA?

Pitchers

RHP Brad Holt (starting pitcher): 6 starts for AA, 2-3, 5.02 ERA, 43.1 IP, 34 hits, 13 BB/54 K

-Brad Holt dominated the NYPL last year for Brooklyn and then dominated the FSL for St. Lucie earlier this year and has quickly moved up the Mets' system. Despite the 5.02 ERA, Holt has been very effective in AA, holding opposing batters to a .216 average and putting up a high k-rate of 10.4 K/9. Holt has the hard fastball that he can get up to the mid to upper 90's as well as a curveball and changeup.. Both of his offspeed pitches have continued to improve and are obviously very key for him to be an effective starter at the major-league level.

RHP Jenrry Mejia (starting pitcher): 4 starts for AA, 0-3, 3.74 ERA, 21.2 IP, 23 hits, 16 BB/24 K, 2.00 GB/FB ratio

-Mejia is a hard throwing righty who consistently sits at 95-97 mph and he even topped out at 100 mph once this year.. he, like Holt, dominated the FSL earlier this year with a microscopic 1.97 ERA through 9 starts. His strong groundball/fyball ratio has been present at every level hes been at so far, and that is because of an upper-80s changeup he throws that has strong sinking movement. Oh, and the best part is he is only 19 years old, which is incredibly young for AA.

LHP Roy Merritt (reliever): 37 games for AA, 3.89 ERA, 41.2 IP, 43 hits, 20 BB/40 K

-Merritt is not a top prospect, but hes worth mentioning I guess.. his splits vs LH batters: 20.1 IP, 17 hits, 8 BB/23 K, avg against - .233 .. against RH batters he has struggled with his control (12 BB/18 K in 21.1 IP) and they are hitting .306 against him.. Merritt looks like is he well on his way to becoming a LOOGY.

LHP Michael Antonini (starter turned reliever): 6.24 ERA as a starter in 12 starts, 4.63 ERA in 5 games as a reliever.

-I really don't know what happened to Antonini.. last year this was his numbers as a starter for AA: 8 starts, 1-3, 3.74 ERA, 16 BB/32 K, .247 avg against. Pretty solid.. This year however, as a starter, his ERA has nearly doubled, opposing avg against has risen to .308, and his BB% is slightly up. Right now Antonini is a reliever, and he still hasn't had that much success in the short 11.2 IP sample. Hopefully that improves... Antonini was a mid-level prospect coming into this year, but has definitely dropped since.

Batters

C Josh Thole: 71 games, .340/.410/.448, 22 doubles, 1 HR, 32 RBI, 33 BB/26 K

-Thole has been nothing short of a excellent in AA .. of course with these numbers it looks like he should be in AAA, however the Mets want his defense and game calling to improve before they bump him up to that level. I think if his defensive skills keep developing this year he could be this team's backup catcher or in platoon for starting catcher as soon as next year.

1B Ike Davis: 26 games for AA, .286/.386/.500, 5 HR, 20 RBI, 16 BB/29 K

-Davis had a miserable debut last year in the NYPL hitting .256/.326/.326 with 0 homeruns in 58 games for Brooklyn.. however this year he has made it up, and cruised his way through A Advanced and into AA. Davis has struggled vs LHP hitting just .214/.313/.250 in 28 at bats, but has crushed RHP hitting .314/.415/.600 with all of 5 of his homers coming against those righties in 70 at bats. I think the struggles vs LHP are not something to worry about, as long as Davis continues to maintain a good average and OBP as well as hit for power he should be fine.

SS Ruben Tejada: 92 games, .278/.351/.356, 17 doubles, 2 HR, 27 RBI, 29 BB/42 K

-Tejada has strongly held his own for a 19 year old in AA, especially coming off of a year in which he hit just .229/.293/.296 in A Advanced. Tejada's BB% is up and his K% is down in comparison to last year (and don't forget hes at a higher level this year) .. His 17 doubles this year, in 92 games, are closing in on the 19 he had last year in 131 games.

Ranking Those Prospects (Not the overall top prospects of the Mets, just ranking these AA guys)

1. Jenrry Mejia

2. Brad Holt

3. Ike Davis

4. Josh Thole

5. Ruben Tejada

6. Roy Merritt

7. Michael Antonini

Edited by nmigliore

I like how everything immediately goes bad as soon as Omar gets into the booth to talk with Gary and Keith. Tatis with his usual DP, walk, base hit past Castillo. He's like one huge black cloud.

and what's with every opposition playing gold glove defense against the Mets. Do opposing teams commit errors against us...do they have to make every incredible catch in the outfield.

And of course Francouer drops the ball, because he put on the Mets uniform and the curse is now upon him. He never drops that ball as a Brave. NEVER.

Edited by '7'

With Perez pitching tonight, and a day off on Thursday, am I correct in assuming that he's due to be the starter on Monday, when I finally make it to Citi?

God help me.

wednesday - pelfrey

thursday - OFF

friday - santana

saturday - niese

sunday - livan

monday - perez

..yea lol.

With Perez pitching tonight, and a day off on Thursday, am I correct in assuming that he's due to be the starter on Monday, when I finally make it to Citi?

God help me.

wednesday - pelfrey

thursday - OFF

friday - santana

saturday - niese

sunday - livan

monday - perez

..yea lol.

At least I still kind of like the Rockies too. :lol: