Let's come up with better ways to spend $8.4 million

metallidevils

On day one, I thought the Zubrus signing was horrible (and it looks like my assessment was correct).

Although Rolston has been a disappointment as well, I still feel like he may contribute more in the coming weeks (provided we last). I think Sutter should put Rolston with Madden and Pando.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know aquiring players during free agency is a gamble. Way too many intangibles. Let's face it, there is no way Rolston can live up to his contract. Even putting up the points he was producing with the Wild, 5 million is a stretch for someone in the stage of his career. Unfortunatly, that's what it costs to get someone who was sought after by so many teams. When he was signed in July I would bet almost everyone on this board was pretty stoked even though we knew Lou had to overpay. Don't get me wrong, High ankle sprain or not, I was also expecting way more from him. I don't know, maybe next year he's back closer to form, but either way thats a tough contract to live up to. It becomes more obvious that in the salary cap era good drafting and player development is the better way to build a team. Look at the Wings.

We all know aquiring players during free agency is a gamble. Way too many intangibles. Let's face it, there is no way Rolston can live up to his contract. Even putting up the points he was producing with the Wild, 5 million is a stretch for someone in the stage of his career. Unfortunatly, that's what it costs to get someone who was sought after by so many teams. When he was signed in July I would bet almost everyone on this board was pretty stoked even though we knew Lou had to overpay. Don't get me wrong, High ankle sprain or not, I was also expecting way more from him. I don't know, maybe next year he's back closer to form, but either way thats a tough contract to live up to. It becomes more obvious that in the salary cap era good drafting and player development is the better way to build a team. Look at the Wings.

...this is New York Ranger logic at it's best folks. (only sub: Lou with Slats... and Rolston with Redden/Gomez in their sentence's) Drink up! :koolaid:

Edited by Beezer34

...this is New York Ranger logic at it's best folks. (only sub: Lou with Slats... and Rolston with Redden/Gomez in their sentence's) Drink up! :koolaid:

I agree. The only team this seemed to work for this year was the Wings with the Hossa signing. But putting someone with his talent on an already offensively explosive team was a no brainer. Couple that with the fact that he took a one year contract at a discount to play with the Stanley Cup champs and they really could'nt lose with the signing.

That doesn't mean you never sign a FA, that only means you can't expect FA's to lead your team and neither Rolston or Zubrus really fit into that category. If you're going to compare Lou to Slats based on the lockout then you might as well say Lundqvist is better than Marty too since he's gone as far or further in the playoffs.

There were good hockey reasons for trying to sign Rolston (i.e. improving an offense that was totally anemic last year), as it turned out the offense did improve without much help from him. Zubrus otoh I really don't know what Lou was thinking other than the fact that he loves choirboys.

As much as I dislike Rolston and never had any faith in Zubrus I'm still not as annoyed at them as I am the coach who panicked and changed his style two years in a row at the end of the season.

The next two years have roughly 11 million dollars tied up to Zubrus, Rolston, and Pandolfo, and Rolston and Zubrus are still here after that. Explain to me how Lou still has a 'plan'. There is no plan, and we can't make a serious cup run with 1/5 of the cap space absolutely wasted, an average age of 30, no star prospects, and Marty who is presumably past his prime (although still capable of being amazing). Say what you want about the Rangers, but IMO after this season they're in a hell of a lot better shape than us. The past is gone, obviously they sucked for so many years but right now that's irrelevant.

The next two years have roughly 11 million dollars tied up to Zubrus, Rolston, and Pandolfo, and Rolston and Zubrus are still here after that. Explain to me how Lou still has a 'plan'. There is no plan, and we can't make a serious cup run with 1/5 of the cap space absolutely wasted, an average age of 30, no star prospects, and Marty who is presumably past his prime (although still capable of being amazing). Say what you want about the Rangers, but IMO after this season they're in a hell of a lot better shape than us. The past is gone, obviously they sucked for so many years but right now that's irrelevant.

you can't be more wrong. you really can't. like, do you pay attention to anything else that's going on in the league?

the rangers have 25 million dollars tied up in redden, roszival, drury, and gomez, none of whom is playing at an all-star level, and only gomez is really capable of doing so. ryan callahan and brandon dubinsky are both RFAs this year - they will require large raises. the rangers have 40 million dollars tied up in 10 players - if the cap stays the same they have 16 million dollars to sign 10 more players, two of whom are callahan and dubinsky who are going to get a combined 4 million, so that's 12 million to sign 8 players. that's not counting nikolai zherdev, who could really end up anywhere after the terrible second half he's had. in short, the rangers are in terrible shape for the future - none of their bad contracts are even close to ending, they have no superstar level players besides lundqvist, and they're not going to get any.

Edited by Triumph

you can't be more wrong. you really can't. like, do you pay attention to anything else that's going on in the league?

the rangers have 25 million dollars tied up in redden, roszival, drury, and gomez, none of whom is playing at an all-star level, and only gomez is really capable of doing so. ryan callahan and brandon dubinsky are both RFAs this year - they will require large raises. the rangers have 40 million dollars tied up in 10 players - if the cap stays the same they have 16 million dollars to sign 10 more players, two of whom are callahan and dubinsky who are going to get a combined 4 million, so that's 12 million to sign 8 players. that's not counting nikolai zherdev, who could really end up anywhere after the terrible second half he's had. in short, the rangers are in terrible shape for the future - none of their bad contracts are even close to ending, they have no superstar level players besides lundqvist, and they're not going to get any.

Especially if reports of the Salary Cap DECREASING are true.

That doesn't mean you never sign a FA, that only means you can't expect FA's to lead your team and neither Rolston or Zubrus really fit into that category. If you're going to compare Lou to Slats based on the lockout then you might as well say Lundqvist is better than Marty too since he's gone as far or further in the playoffs.

There were good hockey reasons for trying to sign Rolston (i.e. improving an offense that was totally anemic last year), as it turned out the offense did improve without much help from him. Zubrus otoh I really don't know what Lou was thinking other than the fact that he loves choirboys.

As much as I dislike Rolston and never had any faith in Zubrus I'm still not as annoyed at them as I am the coach who panicked and changed his style two years in a row at the end of the season.

No, I'm not saying that. You absolutely need to compete in free agency... just don't be a fool when negotiating the terms of the contract(s). When do 6, 7 year contracts work? (especially when the player is already in his 30's) And as far as Rolston, how about a little clairvoyance? Take a sec and think... This player will be 40 at the end of his contract, and making 4 million dollars?! :headless chicken: Is this a good move, or should I perhaps look elsewhere?

No, I'm not saying that. You absolutely need to compete in free agency... just don't be a fool when negotiating the terms of the contract(s). When do 6, 7 year contracts work? (especially when the player is already in his 30's) And as far as Rolston, how about a little clairvoyance? Take a sec and think... This player will be 40 at the end of his contract, and making 4 million dollars?! :headless chicken: Is this a good move, or should I perhaps look elsewhere?

the point was to win the stanley cup this year. lou understands that with elias and brodeur aging, the window for a stanley cup is not wide and you've got to strike quickly. i would much rather have this and struggle through a few lean years than be the sharks and never make the moves that put you over the top (until this season, finally - but even this one's looking poor).

Seriously for all our mocking of the Rangers for spending so much on Blomez and Drury, we have 2 dead weight players we're stuck with for awhile. also.

+1

Edited by Beezer34