Top 10 Underdogs In All Of Sports

NJayDevil

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/underdogs.html

1995 New Jersey Devils

The talented Red Wings had the best regular-season record in the strike-shortened 1994-95 season -- 33-11-4. They eased through the first three rounds of the playoffs with a 12-2 mark. On the other hand, the Devils were only 22-18-8 in the regular season.

But New Jersey had a remarkable postseason run, beating three teams that had the home-ice advantage -- the Bruins, Penguins and Flyers. In the process, the Devils won 10 road games.

Still, Detroit was the heavy favorite in the Stanley Cup Finals, overmatching the Devils on an individual level. But the Devils meshed as a team, and had a punishing defense. After they won Game 1 in Detroit, New Jersey's Stephane Richer said, "Before the series, people thought we were going to get beat in four games, (that) this is an easy series for Detroit. If people think like that, we think it's fine. It's been like this before every series, and we've won them all. Hopefully, people will start believing we have a good hockey team."

A few days later, after the Devils swept the Red Wings, there were plenty of believers.

They def deserve to be there.

very rarely does an underdog actually go all the way in the NHL. I never considered the 1995 team an underdog because they were a 106pt team in 94 that came within a hair of beating the Rangers in the ECF.

some others that came close: 90-91 North Stars, 95-96 Panthers, 01-02 WhalerCanes, 93-94 Canucks, 81-82 Canucks.

ESPN always has to do something stupid and put someone obscure on the list. Jack Fleck? Who cares?

Charismatic in 1999? a horse! WHO CARES?

Charismatic in 1999? a horse! WHO CARES?

HA! Right on. If there's anything I can't stand, it's when people (especially fat Francessa) refer to horses as athletes.

Look, i understand that lots of people love animals, but give me a break.

It's an animal. If it didn't run fast, your kids would be using its remains to make cotton-ball snowmen in kindergarten class.

This has nothing to do with anything but for those of you who went to Game 4 in 95, I went with my father and we had to park in the Giants Stadium lot. And once the game (and celebration) had ended we headed to the lot by going on that overpass, but this was still the old one where it was only like 5 people wide, lol. And some geniuses got to idea to jump up and down and the thing was shaking like never before, all I heard was the metal creeking and people going WHOOOOOOA, lol. Thank god they built a new one, lol

95 game 4 will always be special.

Crying for joy as time winded down. Hugging friends you've seen at games for years prior.

Winning it the year after the rangers.

Coming to the parking lot at 2pm.

Countless bottles of champagne being opened & toasts being made.

Leaving the lot in the rain at 2am. Going to the Tick Tock diner & everytime more Devil fans strolled in, the whole diner of fans applauded. Ahhh, 6/24/95. That felt good.

This has nothing to do with anything but for those of you who went to Game 4 in 95, I went with my father and we had to park in the Giants Stadium lot. And once the game (and celebration) had ended we headed to the lot by going on that overpass, but this was still the old one where it was only like 5 people wide, lol. And some geniuses got to idea to jump up and down and the thing was shaking like never before, all I heard was the metal creeking and people going WHOOOOOOA, lol. Thank god they built a new one, lol

Chico, I was in there as well. It was even scarier than after game 6 of the 1995 ECF, when people were pounding on the aluminum walls and the whole thing was shaking. They didn't call it the Tunnel of Terror for nothing. :D