Hossa: no regrets for leaving Pens

Devil Fan

The lowering of the salary cap and Hossa's epic failure in the finals just saw his market value plummet.

He should have taken the Pens deal when he had it, but now he has nothing and the Pens probably won the cup, because he signed with Detroit.

He should have taken the Pens deal when he had it, but now he has nothing and the Pens probably won the cup, because he signed with Detroit.

That's a slightly unfair statement, don't ya think?

I mean ya they'd been in cap hell and maybe the coach doesn't get fired

is he reason 1 in the chain... yeah.. but the whole reason... naaahhhhh

Good lord I'm still sick from that last night.....

Because the '80s are over. You can't nail down Cup after Cup with the Devils' D in this day and age.

Okay, I'm going to assume from your post count that you're both a regular and a Devs fan, but this statement is patently ridiculous. Do you actually remember the Devs in the '80s? Except for one Cinderella run, the '80s were a desert of failure. What's more, most of that failure usually led to mediocre draft picks until Lou came along.

Now understand something, I was a Devs fan from day one--actually from before day one--but it was painful. So if you think that we aren't cup contenders TODAY because the '80s are over then all I can say is:

1)I concur about the '80s being over (for many reasons beside the Devs)

2)Why does not sucking make a team less of a cup contender?

Was that a typo?

I believe he was talking about the 80's way of winning cups by being able to score 5 goals every game because the goaltending pool was very very shallow talent wise.

I believe he was talking about the 80's way of winning cups by being able to score 5 goals every game because the goaltending pool was very very shallow talent wise.

Yes. I was specifically thinking of the Gretzky Oilers, perhaps I should have said so.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. I was specifically thinking of the Gretzky Oilers, perhaps I should have said so.

Okay, I gotcha. I had a nagging feeling that I was either reading that wrong or something was amiss. Sorry about kinda jumping down your throat there.... I guess I was in a persnickity mood.

As to your point, yea, I can see that an 80s style team (run'n'gun?) is probably not the way to go, but I wonder if the Lemairesque trap would be any more successful nowadays. Now that Brent has defected--may his name forever be cursed--I've got to admit to having a sort of retro-affinity for Lemaire, but I can't help but feel this would be about as successful as some of the other recent reunions the Devs have had....

Okay, I gotcha. I had a nagging feeling that I was either reading that wrong or something was amiss. Sorry about kinda jumping down your throat there.... I guess I was in a persnickity mood.

Don't worry about it, I can see where that might have been misunderstood. :)

As to your point, yea, I can see that an 80s style team (run'n'gun?) is probably not the way to go, but I wonder if the Lemairesque trap would be any more successful nowadays. Now that Brent has defected--may his name forever be cursed--I've got to admit to having a sort of retro-affinity for Lemaire, but I can't help but feel this would be about as successful as some of the other recent reunions the Devs have had....

Believe me, I'm not a fan of bringing back either Lemaire or his coaching philosophy. Marty and I think Parise said it best recently: Sutter's coaching style (before he freaked out and resorted to line-matching) was well-suited to the team as assembled. The Devils would do well to find someone with a similar style.