The "Lou better sign Shanny" thread

BlizzardCyclone

if Lou can sign him to a deal around 1-2 mil then why not? no he wont score like he did in his prime but just like the teams who picked up Greg Maddux late in his career; they will have a veteran leader capable of helping the young players.

they will have a veteran leader capable of helping the young players.

Sometimes I can't believe how often I read this sentiment. These guys want to play, not mentor young players. This team does not need veteran presence anyway.

Anybody watch the past two seasons by any chance? If you did, you'd notice that Brendan Shanahan is pretty much all done. He can play on the power play. That's all.

old Shanahan = old Tim Kerr

Does anyone really think Shanny is going to play 82 games? I think what he did last time, around mid-season or a little later would be perfect for him again.

there are way too many rumors circulating around him right now for this to happen. that said, i don't see why it's so hard to sit a guy 20 or 30 times during the season as his play or others' demands it, but seeing as how brent sutter was categorically incapable of this, who says the next guy will be able to do it too.

there are way too many rumors circulating around him right now for this to happen. that said, i don't see why it's so hard to sit a guy 20 or 30 times during the season as his play or others' demands it, but seeing as how brent sutter was categorically incapable of this, who says the next guy will be able to do it too.

I feel like a roster spot for Shanny should equal a part-time roster spot for a younger player. It would be nice to have Shanny for 50-60 games or so while also giving someone like Halischuk the other 20-30 games. Win-win, in theory at least.

Sometimes I can't believe how often I read this sentiment. These guys want to play, not mentor young players. This team does not need veteran presence anyway.

Anybody watch the past two seasons by any chance? If you did, you'd notice that Brendan Shanahan is pretty much all done. He can play on the power play. That's all.

old Shanahan = old Tim Kerr

He scored 23 goals two seasons ago for the NYR and its not like he was playing with the most talented people here.

He scored 23 goals two seasons ago for the NYR and its not like he was playing with the most talented people here.

He also scored i think 15 of those in the first half of the season, and totally ran out of gas down the stretch leaving himself almost useless in the playoffs. He only had 8 goals and 16 points from January 5th till the end of the season. And other than a 6 game hot streak towards the end of January, he only has 3 goals. Now hes a year older, we cant expect him to have any greater stamina or provide even that level of offense if asked to play every night.

He also scored i think 15 of those in the first half of the season, and totally ran out of gas down the stretch leaving himself almost useless in the playoffs. He only had 8 goals and 16 points from January 5th till the end of the season. And other than a 6 game hot streak towards the end of January, he only has 3 goals. Now hes a year older, we cant expect him to have any greater stamina or provide even that level of offense if asked to play every night.

But wasn't he injured for most of the second half of that season?

I'd love to have him back, but I just don't think he fits with the direction Lou is going.

if Lou can sign him to a deal around 1-2 mil then why not? no he wont score like he did in his prime but just like the teams who picked up Greg Maddux late in his career; they will have a veteran leader capable of helping the young players.

definitely would not pay $2 million for this guy

So then we simply won't ask him to play every night. We could split his role with a younger player who is still adjusting to the length and pace of an NHL season. That way, neither player will run out of gas, both will have an adequate chance to contribute.

I know that DIG expressed this same general idea above, I just wanted to reiterate it.

I really think Shanny's days of playing an entire 82 game season are over. There is no way this guy is going to sign on for an entire year. Sure, you might say sit him 20 games here and there - that sounds great, but is just not the way it works with a 600-goal scoring HOFer. Do you think Brodeur is ever going to play 60/65 games if he is healthy all season? If guys like that are on the team and helathy - they are going to play. You might be able to give him a game here and there, but as for any big chunks, unless they are injured, they play.

It makes far more sense for Shanny to sign about 25/30 games into the season. That way you pro-rate his contract which should not be any sort of an issue - this is clearly not about $$$$.

Quite frankly, you want Shanny for April and May. You would trade 15 goals in Nov and December for 2 goals and 2 assists in May if you know what I am saying.