Alexandre Giroux

Devs4LIFE

Played for the Capitals AHL team last season putting up 60 goals and 97 points in 69 games. Doesn't seem to have been given a full shot at the NHL for whatever reason. He is a 6'3" Center who could possible play second line center or replace Madden on the third line and if that doesn't work out then he could be sent to the AHL and help out some of our prospects there. Thoughts?

I saw him in a game live at Verizon Center--I don't recall much, but I do recall that he was keeping pace with the Flyers and that's saying something with the speed of their offense. I'd like to give him a shot if we could, but he's destined to just be a depth player. Which is fine with me, I'll take some young depth on this team.

I've seen him many times out in Hershey and around there area. He is a genuine nice guy which is a plus. As for him coming to the Devils... Sometimes scoring in the AHL doesn't translate into the NHL (See Tim Tookey). I'd still give him a look. I also think Jeff Friesen would be a good pick-up. What a class guy he was and of last I heard he got cut last year by the Sharks... What a shame.

• Like 1

I don't think Giroux will sign a two-way deal. I'd still love to sign someone like him - either him or Jason Krog. Throw them around $550,000, give them a shot to make the team, if they don't, well, fine - Lowell is a playoff contender now. This isn't Lou's style, unfortunately.

This guy is 28 years old, signing a two-way contract is meaningless, he is still eligible for waivers.

i don't see where anyone said otherwise, but it's not meaningless at all. AHL players typically get paid around $80,000, if giroux is making, say $550,000 on a one-way deal, he's making what 7 guys make there, and that sinks lowell deeper into the red.

Edited by Triumph

i don't see where anyone said otherwise, but it's not meaningless at all. AHL players typically get paid around $80,000, if giroux is making, say $550,000 on a one-way deal, he's making what 7 guys make there, and that sinks lowell deeper into the red.

A guy who scores 97 points in the AHL isn't likely to clear waivers, one-way or a two-way, except the latter makes him much more attractive to claim.

I don't think the intent of the OP was to discuss bringing him over and never have him play for the NHL-Devils, and the only way to do that is to sign him and never have to call him on waivers, so his contract type is moot. The only way he would see time in Lowel with a 75k year two-way deal (or even a 550k one-way) would be if he never stepped on the ice for the NHL Devils, and if thats the case who cares.

A guy who scores 97 points in the AHL isn't likely to clear waivers, one-way or a two-way, except the latter makes him much more attractive to claim.

what are you talking about, he's cleared a ton of times in his career, including this year.

I don't think the intent of the OP was to discuss bringing him over and never have him play for the NHL-Devils, and the only way to do that is to sign him and never have to call him on waivers, so his contract type is moot. The only way he would see time in Lowel with a 75k year two-way deal (or even a 550k one-way) would be if he never stepped on the ice for the NHL Devils, and if thats the case who cares.

no, the intent was to sign a guy who can possibly help out the major league club but would certainly help the minor league club if that wasn't in the cards. in fact, that's exactly what the original post says. once again, reading comprehension eludes you - you come in guns blazing about a point no one made, then totally mis-interpret the first post.

what are you talking about, he's cleared a ton of times in his career, including this year.

no, the intent was to sign a guy who can possibly help out the major league club but would certainly help the minor league club if that wasn't in the cards. in fact, that's exactly what the original post says. once again, reading comprehension eludes you - you come in guns blazing about a point no one made, then totally mis-interpret the first post.

And once again your ego is so big you don't realize all I was doing was noting that the guy isn't young enough to be waiver exempt where a two-way contract is most ideal. Someone else said if we could get him on a two-way why not, but imo it's meaningless for the afformentioned reason.

Am I not allowed to comment on that? sheesh and you say I came in guns blazing? talk about overreacting.

And once again your ego is so big you don't realize all I was doing was noting that the guy isn't young enough to be waiver exempt where a two-way contract is most ideal. Someone else said if we could get him on a two-way why not, but imo it's meaningless for the afformentioned reason.

Am I not allowed to comment on that? sheesh and you say I came in guns blazing? talk about overreacting.

Settle the beef! :)

A two way deal would definitely be needed. He clears waivers, you dont want to pay him 550k+ to play in Lowell... if someone claims him, who cares?