Devils Re-sign Greene

nmigliore

I think that this is a decent signing because we had to have gotten him cheap. If we had qualified him as an RFA, we would have had to offer .66 mil, so I think we can assume that he was signed for less than that. For such an inexpensive price, we can at least give Greene a few more years to grow and see what we can make of him. However, if the deal is too long, then everything I just said is negated and the deal sucks; hopefully it's no more than 3 years.

Why didn't we just give him a qualifying offer? It would have been cheaper.

That would have been a 1 year deal. If Greene puts together a decent season this coming year then he'd get a big raise next offseason. This is both sides hedging their bets, Greene loses some upside in return for guaranteed cash and the Devils have to spend a little more per season but lock in a low rate for a guy with some potential.

I like him, and still think he will be good. Glad to hear it.

OMG halfshark -- your avatar is so cute! :wub:

Can I tell you all my baby catbird story - I told that somewhere here right? and that I now have hummingbirds visiting? adn teh ruffian blue jay brood is STILL hanging around - but they didnt' kill my babies so I love them all...

wait a sec what's this thread about.. oh yeah... our stellar defence... rolleyes.gif woohoo :yay: Andy Greene... yawnhand.gif

Edited by Pepperkorn

That would have been a 1 year deal. If Greene puts together a decent season this coming year then he'd get a big raise next offseason. This is both sides hedging their bets, Greene loses some upside in return for guaranteed cash and the Devils have to spend a little more per season but lock in a low rate for a guy with some potential.

That's a good point. The only thing I wonder is that it seems like Lou was afraid to committ either way. He didn't give Greene a long enough deal to really show that he is optimistic about him improving, yet still paid more and for more years than the qualifying offer would have been. If anything, he has regressed over the past year; I don't see why we would bank on him to be a good d-man.

don't question lou he has a master plan

He's obviously knows hockey better than I do, but some of his moves are just very baffling.

Edited by devils26

That's a good point. The only thing I wonder is that it seems like Lou was afraid to committ either way. He didn't give Greene a long enough deal to really show that he is optimistic about him improving, yet still paid more and for more years than the qualifying offer would have been.

Lou only paid ~.2% more of the cap to get the deal extended for 2 years as opposed to doing the 1 year qualifying offer deal. So Lou traded ~.2% of the this years cap to gamble on getting a really good deal next season's cap.

Lou only paid ~.2% more of the cap to get the deal extended for 2 years as opposed to doing the 1 year qualifying offer deal. So Lou traded ~.2% of the this years cap to gamble on getting a really good deal next season's cap.

I definitely see your point, but what if Greene doesn't improve during the 09-10 season, just as in 08-09? Then we have another 7/8 d-man on the cap. He hasn't really shown that he will be improve so much that he will be worth much more than .737 mil in 10-11.

The way I look at it is that if he does not improve, we wasted an extra year on him. If he does improve, how much will he improve by? Will the discount we get by having him in 10-11 for .737mil be worth the risk of having him on the team for the next two years at that price?

I definitely see your point, but what if Greene doesn't improve during the 09-10 season, just as in 08-09? Then we have another 7/8 d-man on the cap. He hasn't really shown that he will be improve so much that he will be worth much more than .737 mil in 10-11.

The way I look at it is that if he does not improve, we wasted an extra year on him. If he does improve, how much will he improve by? Will the discount we get by having him in 10-11 for .737mil be worth the risk of having him on the team for the next two years at that price?

If he doesn't work out you can just send him to the AHL. VBK can afford a 750k guy in the minors for 1 season if it makes a difference for the NHL team.

Considering how much defenseman get paid when they become UFA's almost any serviceable NHL guy makes at least twice what Greene will be paid these 2 seasons.