Devils Sign Ilkka Pikkarainen

njdevil26

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also notice how this mentality has caused us to win only 2 playoff series since the 2003 playoffs. Sure the Devils are a playoff team with Lou's conservative strategy, but are they really a contender?

Burke did a pretty damn good job in Anaheim, so I don't know why people are so down on him. Granted, he may have gone insane in Toronto because I don't know what the fvck he's doing now, but he did solid work with the Ducks. It's true that he walked into a nice situation in Anaheim, but he was still able to put everything together to make sure that the Ducks were able to win that Cup. Plus, he kept the Ducks as contenders even after they won the cup, and left the team that way.

granted they have a $hitty track record in the playoffs since 2003, but every year they have a legitamite shot at the cup. we are never backing into the playoffs a la St Louis who really didnt have a shot

granted they have a $hitty track record in the playoffs since 2003, but every year they have a legitamite shot at the cup. we are never backing into the playoffs a la St Louis who really didnt have a shot

Do you really think that the Devils had a legitimate shot at the cup all of those years? The Devils were eliminated in 04, 06, 07, and 08 in series in which they only won one game. It's hard to say that the team is a true cup contender when it is nearly swept in the first and second rounds in four straight years. This year might have been the Devils best chance out of the last 5 seasons, but something happened in March that transformed this team for the worse. I don't think we went into the playoffs in any of the last 5 seasons as legitimate cup contenders.

Do you really think that the Devils had a legitimate shot at the cup all of those years? The Devils were eliminated in 04, 06, 07, and 08 in series in which they only won one game. It's hard to say that the team is a true cup contender when it is nearly swept in the first and second rounds in four straight years. This year might have been the Devils best chance out of the last 5 seasons, but something happened in March that transformed this team for the worse. I don't think we went into the playoffs in any of the last 5 seasons as legitimate cup contenders.

very, very easy to say after the fact. last year they were cup contenders. i'd say in 2006 they were cup contenders too, though that's a tougher nut to crack.

by the way, i think ilkka pikkarainen may play for the finnish national team at the olympics. it's a really sorry state of affairs up there in finland - there's really no right wings that i can think of besides selanne and lehtinen and it's probably around even money that one of these guys is hurt.

very, very easy to say after the fact. last year they were cup contenders. i'd say in 2006 they were cup contenders too, though that's a tougher nut to crack.

I know that it's much easier to make those statements after the fact. That's why I'm not condemning Lou or anybody for doing anything wrong at the time.

In 2006, we relied on too few players. When one or two forwards disappeared in the playoffs, like Gionta, we were doomed. Not to mention our D was very weak; many thought that an injured Richard Matvichuk would have actually been an improvement to the lineup that we were putting out. Yes, we caught a really bad break in the Canes series, but we were hanging on for our lives after game 1.

WRT 2009, I felt that we were contenders for the first 3 quarters of the season. However, in March, something happened to this team. I don't know if it was Marty's big win, but you have to admit that you felt differently about this team towards the end of the season than in the middle. We played the last month and a half of the 08-09 as if we were not contenders, a dramatic change from the season's start, and I don't know what it caused it to be quite honest.

WRT 2009, I felt that we were contenders for the first 3 quarters of the season. However, in March, something happened to this team. I don't know if it was Marty's big win, but you have to admit that you felt differently about this team towards the end of the season than in the middle. We played the last month and a half of the 08-09 as if we were not contenders, a dramatic change from the season's start, and I don't know what it caused it to be quite honest.

A few things happened to this team, 1. The coach didn't want to be here, 2. They went back to matching lines, 3. They stopped playing their aggressive forecheck, and a few other things.

A few things happened to this team, 1. The coach didn't want to be here, 2. They went back to matching lines, 3. They stopped playing their aggressive forecheck, and a few other things.

Those are very good points. It was obvious that something happened to this team in March.

I don't think we were even close to a cup wiiing team last year with that defense. I sincerely think the game has passed Lou by. Looking at where we stand now forwards/roster wise we aren't going to make a serious run next year.

Edited by titans04

I don't think we were even close to a cup wiiing team last year with that defense. I sincerely think the game has passed Lou by. Looking at where we stand now forwards/roster wise we aren't going to make a serious run nect year.

eh the D was solid enough, they just played soft at the worst times

Agreed.. 3 feet separated us from going past the first round when we couldn't clear it in the final few minutes of game 7..

The D was great with Clemmer in net and was just as good with Marty before the 3/18 game.. It only fell apart after that, but on the whole I thought they looked really good.. I mean look at how we played Boston the last half of the season and they had a stellar D

I agree i think we missed a vocal leader on the De or a coach that coach that would just scream in their face CUT THE S

or it could be our defense lacked that big hit presence.