At Least Our Defense Won't Look Like This...

insanity_gallops

So I was messing around in the HOF forum and opened up the "2005 Free Agents/Trades" thread. First of all, that in itself is a trip down memory lane that I really think people should revisit during the summer doldrums of the NHL. Secondly, I'd forgotten just how much concern people had over the Devils' potential defensemen for opening night.

Remember:

- Niedermayer was UFA

- Rafalski was UFA

- Stevens' status was unknown

Lots of concern that Nieds wouldn't stick around, along with concern that Rafalski would walk. Uncertainty over Stevens' return. So PeteyNice points out the possibility that, in a worst-case scenario, the Devils open the season with the following defensive pairings:

Matvichuk-Martin

Hale-White

Brown-Albelin

...sweet fancy Moses is that terrifying. Makes the Devils' current defensive corps of:

Oduya-Martin

White-Mottau

Salvador-Greene/Corrente/Murphy seem like a powerhouse by comparison.

So think of it this way - at least we no longer have Sean Brown vying for a roster spot.

Edited by insanity_gallops

Those must have been some dark days on here...

Once Mala-cough-it-up and McUseless came aboard they got a little bit darker.

It's all relative though...even with everything that went wrong early that '05-'06 team found a way to grab another Atlantic Division title. Truly dark are going through what the Penguins and Rangers went through for their down years. We haven't to deal with anything like that since 1988.

:o ARE YOU BUSTING ON SEAN BROWN??????

I'll have you know he's VERY HAPPY in ... Germany I think! He was a very good guy. Burns even - you know tried to use him. He saw that-- there was something there... you know -- so he couldn't stick around long enough to really find out what it was and stuff..

and... you are just ... sooooo.. SOooo

so lucky -- youve got .. STevens in your avatar even or I'd -- I'd not be at any sort of loss for words to defend... Sc.. umm Sean whatshis face anyhow!! so ..

So HA! HA!

HAHAHA! Out THAT in your pipe and smoke it!

anyhow -- you have made a very valid point I guess... Man I was so mad at Stevens for not just freaking retiring already. I hated that ...

EDIT: oh... and I meant PUT that in your pipe and stuff... you know ... smoke it and stuff -- like that.

even.

Edited by Pepperkorn

:o ARE YOU BUSTING ON SEAN BROWN??????

I'll have you know he's VERY HAPPY in ... Germany I think! He was a very good guy. Burns even - you know tried to use him. He saw that-- there was something there... you know -- so he couldn't stick around long enough to really find out what it was and stuff..

and... you are just ... sooooo.. SOooo

so lucky -- youve got .. STevens in your avatar even or I'd -- I'd not be at any sort of loss for words to defend... Sc.. umm Sean whatshis face anyhow!! so ..

So HA! HA!

HAHAHA! Out THAT in your pipe and smoke it!

anyhow -- you have made a very valid point I guess... Man I was so mad at Stevens for not just freaking retiring already. I hated that ...

EDIT: oh... and I meant PUT that in your pipe and stuff... you know ... smoke it and stuff -- like that.

even.

Sean Brown had two years in Germany with the DEG Metro stars and then Nuremberg and spent last season in the glamorous location of Klagenfurt in Austria.

So don't you all love how my avatar has "A Legend" under that beautiful image -- and then under insanity's adorable chippy squawking Stevens it says Hall of Famer... how perfect is that?

did I just ruin this thread? :unsure:

Shmeh, this thread ran out of steam quickly anyway. Just wanted to interject something to keep people from total doom-and-gloom (a.k.a. the usual), but the Zajac signing is overshadowing it, and rightly so.

I realized today I doubt I'll make it to the "Legend" status any time soon. With a job and real world responsibilities and all that, I ain't postin' like I once was.

Those must have been some dark days on here...

Once Mala-cough-it-up and McUseless came aboard they got a little bit darker.

It's all relative though...even with everything that went wrong early that '05-'06 team found a way to grab another Atlantic Division title. Truly dark are going through what the Penguins and Rangers went through for their down years. We haven't to deal with anything like that since 1988.

Ah but the difference their CR is that both The blowhards and rust city's down times were self inflicted.

Like most NY teams, the Rangers (you could insert Yankee$ here) always try to buy championships. The Penguins have a 20 year cycle of deliberately tanking to get top draft picks.

Once Crosby's/Malkin's shock and awe wear off (after about 5 years like Mario and Jagr's did) they throw in the towel suck for ten years-rinse repeat. Only this time I hope they are moved to a city more deserving with a markets a gazillion times bigger (Houston TX possibly)For all intents and pursposes, Pittsburgh is a small market in the grand scheme of things.

I'm so proud that I follow a team that earns every ounce of the success it enjoys, unlike some teams that buy, or try to buy cups. IE the "big six" who caused the lockout with massive payrolls trying to buy a cup, only one succeeded-Detroit 2002. Brett Hull-Dominic Hasek.

Like most NY teams, the Rangers (you could insert Yankee$ here) always try to buy championships. The Penguins have a 20 year cycle of deliberately tanking to get top draft picks.

Once Crosby's/Malkin's shock and awe wear off (after about 5 years like Mario and Jagr's did) they throw in the towel suck for ten years-rinse repeat. Only this time I hope they are moved to a city more deserving with a markets a gazillion times bigger (Houston TX possibly)For all intents and pursposes, Pittsburgh is a small market in the grand scheme of things.

I'm so proud that I follow a team that earns every ounce of the success it enjoys, unlike some teams that buy, or try to buy cups. IE the "big six" who caused the lockout with massive payrolls trying to buy a cup, only one succeeded-Detroit 2002. Brett Hull-Dominic Hasek.

Houston, Texas will never have an NHL hockey team. I'll print out this whole thread and eat it if it somehow does ever happen.

Teams never buy championships. The guys have to play as a unit to win as a team. If we had the highest payroll in the league would you go root for someone else?

Ya and at least our defense won't look like that of the many Devils teams of the early 80s, theres no point to this idea.

Actually, the point is that our defense is in much better shape than many people make it out to be, and this thread was aimed at breaking up the doom and gloom that occurs annually around this time of year.

Thanks for politely expressing your opinion, though. :rolleyes:

yah, people cherry pick responses and move threads in the direction they'd like to take it in. I guess it's only natural -- but very pointed threads get turned on their heads in a very UNcreative homogenous way.

THAT is what bugs me about it here these days - so few individuals - it all gets smashed down so I feel like I'm watching Melrose and Clemment on ESPN. All the Chicos and Mavins are ignored - only the Docs who couch their responses in a fairly diplomatic way or just rapid fire stats out can have any hope to participate (thought not lead) in the tone of the place.