Will Scott Niedermayer wind up back with NJ Devils this season?

msweet

This is so silly.... Neids sucks if he hasn't made the choice to be where ever he is. Before making that trade Lou would have to speak DIRECTLY with Scott and ask him flat out if he WANTS to come and WANTS to win another Cup. and say Scott OWES him the honest answer - if it's sure Yeah - then you know he's not committed but if he has ideas and lets some real enthusiasm shine through... then it's worth it. Because to get him you'd have to trade some real talent and you're picking up the price tag even for that short while... Neids apathy comes through in frustration that brings things down. It just does and even if the guys dont understand what it is they're seeing and feeling -- they feel the negativity and get all bewildered and fvck it all up. and you have NOTHING to point to. It'll all be "bad luck" and all the other excuses... and it'll be worse with these guys - no excuses just "we couldnt' get it done"... with the unspoken "and we had Scott Neidermayer :saddevil: so it must have just not been meant to be" .. not knowing Scott Neidermayer brought them down with his BEYOND subtle reticence and almost stubborn refusal to win. I'm not saying it's on purpose -- but it's there and very real and completely under his control - he chooses to let things go. and you have ZERO evidence of it... I HATE tHAT!@ &^*#$^&*)$^&$) :rant:

GRRRRRR!!!

Edited by Pepperkorn

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Devils arent stupid to trade for a guy who will be a UFA at the end of this season, why give up young players for an older veteran who will be a UFA this season? Unless Anaheim is willing to 'give' us him this year, wait until the offseaosn to signhim for 2 years at about 4 or 5 million a year..... if he'll take that paycut.

The ducks may not have a whole lot of leverage here. Nieder has a NTC, and can choose where he wants to go. If they are out of contention by then, they might take something, anything back in return. If the Devils are in first place, I'd be for giving up our 1st Rounder (and that's it)...Nieder for a playoff run/possibly more is worth the #24th pick in the draft (or so).

Devils arent stupid to trade for a guy who will be a UFA at the end of this season, why give up young players for an older veteran who will be a UFA this season? Unless Anaheim is willing to 'give' us him this year, wait until the offseaosn to signhim for 2 years at about 4 or 5 million a year..... if he'll take that paycut.

The Devils trade for guys who will be UFAs at the end of the season all the time, lots of teams do. The "why" is so that you can hopefully make a deep playoff run, increase your chances of winning it all, and make millions of more dollars this season. The balance is always how much am I hurting the future of the team with this trade and is that injury to the future worth the addition to my present?

Didn't we trade a young promising Dman for an aging vet last season? That worked out well. :whistling:

As the aside, Salmela isn't lighting the world on fire in Atlanta yet. Remember when people freaked out over losing Suglobov when it turned into a whole lot of nothing for both teams.

The Devils trade for guys who will be UFAs at the end of the season all the time, lots of teams do. The "why" is so that you can hopefully make a deep playoff run, increase your chances of winning it all, and make millions of more dollars this season. The balance is always how much am I hurting the future of the team with this trade and is that injury to the future worth the addition to my present?

I'm not sure who'd they give up, but I think Tri has an idea with Oduya going the other way. Personally, I want Oduya to be kept around...but

If Greenie continues this play, he can be counted on reliably defensively and actually scores more points than Oduya Even Strength and PP for less the price of Oduya.

Martin-Nieder

Salvador Greene

White-Mottau

Add/Edit: I'd prefer someone like Oduya possibly be traded for someone who could play second line center. If that were possible.

Edited by HellOnICE

As the aside, Salmela isn't lighting the world on fire in Atlanta yet. Remember when people freaked out over losing Suglobov when it turned into a whole lot of nothing for both teams.

Are people really complaining still about Salmela...talk about mediocrity. 2 pts in 9 games with Atlanta, so he's a scratch most nights? Is he hurt?

The ducks may not have a whole lot of leverage here. Nieder has a NTC, and can choose where he wants to go. If they are out of contention by then, they might take something, anything back in return. If the Devils are in first place, I'd be for giving up our 1st Rounder (and that's it)...Nieder for a playoff run/possibly more is worth the #24th pick in the draft (or so).

niedermayer does not have a no-trade clause.

you cannot deal oduya with paul martin a pending UFA.

should Martin leave after oduya was traded, the devils would be left with:

salvador-greene

white-mottau

fraser-corrente/eckford/ubrom/greene

essentially, what they played with last night which may be ok for a couple of weeks but not for an entire season.

sundstrom: that would free up a lot of cap room, though. the devils have 12 forwards either signed or RFA next season, plus 3 D and 1 goals, at $43,000,000 with estimated RFA contracts. if the salary cap stays around the same as it is this year, free agent prices are bound to start falling (especially relative to the cap - i'm reinvestigating 2006-07 and it is utter madness).

i don't love the idea of dealing oduya, especially not based on 10 rotten games, but we'll see how things go.

I agree with trading Oduya in a Niedermayer trade, but there has too be more to go with Oduya you have to think. Maybe one more young player like Halischuk or even Sestito possibly. If Niedermayer was asked by the Anaheim organization on what team he would like to go to in a trade, you can bet on him saying it would be New Jersey.

I still believe that Scott Niedermayer will end up back here in New Jersey sometime and will finish his NHL career where it all began. Maybe a one or two year contract to finish his career. Then his #27 will be retired and put into the rafters next to #4 and #3 which would be well deserved.

OK -- I would NEVER trade Oduya for Neids -- if anything Neids would be here to help get Oduya on the right track. You're trading away part of the value of having Neids to get Neids... coocoo ** coocoo.

I might risk trading a Greene though... I dont see him as a future cog at this juncture. -_-

Same could be said about Greene PK as far as Niedermayer teaching or helping the Dmen get on track. Trading Greene would be "coocoo ** coocoo" right now. Greene is the Devils leader in minutes played right now and playing the best out of all the Dmen and just don't see him going anywhere right now.

If it be a Dman in return, Oduya would be the one to go in a trade if there ever is one for Niedermayer IMO.

It's all about this season. The Devils can afford his 6 milion salary, but only for this year. With the cap falling, Martin becoming a UFA and Parise an RFA a year after that, it wouldn't be wise to spend too much on a 36-yo guy. Okay, maybe the team could afford a one year deal for him, but that's it. We can't even think about risking losing Parise because of signing Nieds. Not that it's going to happen (signing him for more than one year, if at all).

First of all, I'd love to see Nieds here. I've really been impressed with the team so far. Obviously, it's still very early into the season, but he could help this group of guys in a big way come playoff time. Plus, with Lou's nostalgia, a trade like that is easily believable. So, unless we give up way too much, I'd be all for getting Scotty.

Oh, and for those of you saing he "sucks"... 59 pts. last year. 11 pts. so far this season in 16 games on a weak Anaheim team. He has more points that Martin, Oduya and Greene combined. Or more than a forward Brian Rolston.

When it comes to his number retirement... Guys, this is a done deal. He was too crucial for this team not to have his number retired. He was one of the best offensive D-men of the last two decades, he won everything he could and he did it in New Jersey. Lou even acknowledged him during his HOF induction speech and I remember LL saying #27 will eventually go to the rafters when Scott returned to New Jersey with the Ducks a year or a couple of years ago. Add the fact that Anaheim is most probably going to retire his number, too (personally, I think it's a bit silly of them, but still the guy led them to their first Cup ever). That would leave the Devils looking really stupid if they didn't do the same. Plus, the fans even forgave Holik signing with the Rangers when he came back here. It would be pretty ridiculous if they didn't forgive Nieds eventually (and he didn't even go to play for a rival).

It's all about this season. The Devils can afford his 6 milion salary, but only for this year. With the cap falling, Martin becoming a UFA and Parise an RFA a year after that, it wouldn't be wise to spend too much on a 36-yo guy. Okay, maybe the team could afford a one year deal for him, but that's it. We can't even think about risking losing Parise because of signing Nieds. Not that it's going to happen (signing him for more than one year, if at all).

First of all, I'd love to see Nieds here. I've really been impressed with the team so far. Obviously, it's still very early into the season, but he could help this group of guys in a big way come playoff time. Plus, with Lou's nostalgia, a trade like that is easily believable. So, unless we give up way too much, I'd be all for getting Scotty.

Oh, and for those of you saing he "sucks"... 59 pts. last year. 11 pts. so far this season in 16 games on a weak Anaheim team. He has more points that Martin, Oduya and Greene combined. Or more than a forward Brian Rolston.

When it comes to his number retirement... Guys, this is a done deal. He was too crucial for this team not to have his number retired. He was one of the best offensive D-men of the last two decades, he won everything he could and he did it in New Jersey. Lou even acknowledged him during his HOF induction speech and I remember LL saying #27 will eventually go to the rafters when Scott returned to New Jersey with the Ducks a year or a couple of years ago. Add the fact that Anaheim is most probably going to retire his number, too (personally, I think it's a bit silly of them, but still the guy led them to their first Cup ever). That would leave the Devils looking really stupid if they didn't do the same. Plus, the fans even forgave Holik signing with the Rangers when he came back here. It would be pretty ridiculous if they didn't forgive Nieds eventually (and he didn't even go to play for a rival).

+1.

Totally agree about Niedermayer. Well said Revan and looking forward to that day when #27 gets retired and goes up into the rafters.

Edited by SatansDevils