Pandolfo, Niedermayer back at practice; Oduya, White missing

insanity_gallops

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/pandolfo_niedermayer_practicing_today/

Although Lamoriello said Saturday that it was “more than likely” that defensemen Johnny Oduya would return to practice today, he’s not on the ice. Lamoriello also said that was “subject to change”, so there must have been some change.

Defenseman Colin White also is not on the ice today. The Devils said that White is “resting.”

Also mentions Peters playing as the sixth defenseman at practice. Just when I thought the idea of Peters on the ice couldn't get any scarier - he lines up as a D-man. (Not that he'd play that in a game, but still... yikes.)

edit: Thanks to DM for fixing the title.

Edited by insanity_gallops

i disagree. Peters brings more to the table than a useless Halischuck. or Cory terrible Murphy

So you're comparing him to a defenseman not on the team and a rookie who has already matched Peter's career high for points in a season? :lol: And on top of that, Peters, I believe Peters has 5 minors, which is a lot considering his ice time, and he's only fought when the other team is trying to get a momentum change and not the Devils. His physical play has picked up but over the course of the season it's been pretty minimal. His defensive position has been poor. He has iced the puck a lot. It's hard to pick a player that has performed worse this season for the Devils.

So you're comparing him to a defenseman not on the team and a rookie who has already matched Peter's career high for points in a season? :lol: And on top of that, Peters, I believe Peters has 5 minors, which is a lot considering his ice time, and he's only fought when the other team is trying to get a momentum change and not the Devils. His physical play has picked up but over the course of the season it's been pretty minimal. His defensive position has been poor. He has iced the puck a lot. It's hard to pick a player that has performed worse this season for the Devils.

# Pos Player GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW S S%

16 R Matt Halischuk 18 1 1 2 -2 2 0 0 0 19 5.3............ wow he is great...

and fyi i was referring to when murphy was on the team. not saying peters is great, but i would rather have him and his size in the line up over halischuk

Edited by Demonic26

and fyi i was referring to when murphy was on the team. not saying peters is great, but i would rather have him and his size in the line up over halischuk

The question isn't is Halishuck great, it was is he better than Peters and it's pretty obvious that he is. You didn't address any of the deficiencies that Peters brings to the table, all you can point to is that he is bigger but Peters isn't using his size effectively so it doesn't make up for all the other shortcomings he has.

So you'd rather have Peters, who can barely get time or games at forward, play a position he doesn't play, and a harder one at defense, than a player who is a defenseman? That has to be one of the most ludicrous things I've ever read. Why not put Peters in as backup goalie if Danis has to miss a game? :lol: Peters isn't good at skating as a winger, imagine how horrific it'd be to have to try and watch him skate backwards and keep up with the play.

Edited by Devils731

The question isn't is Halishuck great, it was is he better than Peters and it's pretty obvious that he is. You didn't address any of the deficiencies that Peters brings to the table, all you can point to is that he is bigger but Peters isn't using his size effectively so it doesn't make up for all the other shortcomings he has.

So you'd rather have Peters, who can barely get time or games at forward, play a position he doesn't play, and a harder one at defense, than a player who is a defenseman? That has to be one of the most ludicrous things I've ever read. Why not put Peters in as backup goalie if Danis has to miss a game? :lol: Peters isn't good at skating as a winger, imagine how horrific it'd be to have to try and watch him skate backwards and keep up with the play.

when did i ever say i wanted him to play defense.... thats right i didnt....

Isn't that 2 more points than Peters has? And 8 more shots? Right now, Rod Pelley has been as effective an enforcer as Peters, and that's not his job.

when did i ever say i wanted him to play defense.... thats right i didnt....

You said he brings more to the table than Murhpy, a defenseman, so unless you thought Murphy was going to play forward you were saying you'd rather see Peters in the lineup on defense than Murphy.

It doesn't even matter because you haven't failed to show that Peters has helped the team at all this season, other than his "size" which he hasn't used well. You've been given a laundry list of bad that Peters has brought to the table and can't counter it with anything realistically positive.

So what will this do to the lines once Niedermayer and pando are back?

Parise-Zajac-Bergfors

Rolston-Elias-Langenbrunner

Pandolfo-Niedermayer-Halischuk/Zharkov?

I wouldn't mind seeing Halischuk playing checking line right wing and I think he's earned more ice time, but last game Zharkov played pretty great, he made a couple of nice defensive plays and my God can that kid skate. Let's not forget that he was a +23 last year in the AHL so he knows how to play both sides of the rink. Thoughts?

So what will this do to the lines once Niedermayer and pando are back?

Parise-Zajac-Bergfors

Rolston-Elias-Langenbrunner

Pandolfo-Niedermayer-Halischuk/Zharkov?

I wouldn't mind seeing Halischuk playing checking line right wing and I think he's earned more ice time, but last game Zharkov played pretty great, he made a couple of nice defensive plays and my God can that kid skate. Let's not forget that he was a +23 last year in the AHL so he knows how to play both sides of the rink. Thoughts?

Pando coming back is both good and bad. Adds depth and experience but will lessen the playing time and thus

the faster development of the kids-Halischuck/Zharkov who will be replacing him soon anyway. Good problem to have

tho-plenty of guys who can contribute.

Peters